Thread: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

Default Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

I've just recently gotten back into learning new tunes and found the tab edit files on Mandozine wonderful. Unfortunately, today the web site seems to be missing. Does anyone know where I can find those tab edit files?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

I believe several folks have copies of the content from that site. If you don’t know, the owner passed away a few years ago and it appears the site finally closed.

PM me, I may be able to help.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I just clicked on my saved link that was working this morning and the files were gone! When I did a Google search for tabledit files or mandozine I got a site that said mandozine, but didn't have the fiddle tune music???
    Daniel Kaufman

Same here. I'm really super upset about it too. Those files were gold.

The Mandozine website was asking for donations recently to cover their overdue web server bills, so it's possible that they ran out of the funds necessary to keep it going, and closed the site -- or their ISP may have closed it for nonpayment. Either way, it's unfortunate.

I'd recommend that those who are interested go and download all the TablEdit files that they once offered, which were conveniently available from them in a ZIP file, called "allfiles.zip." You can find a number of archived versions of the Mandozine website from the Wayback Machine (the Internet archive), which carries a complete backup of their site from Nov. 12 of 2020. You can find it by clicking here: https://web.archive.org/web/20201112...mandozine.com/

Once in the archived site, click on the "Quick Links" tab for "TablEdit files," found on the left side of the screen. Then, under "TableEdit Search," found again on the left side of the screen, click on "TablEdit Zip Files," and select the first file that comes up in the list on the right, called "All Files," to download it to your computer. That's it. It's about 6MB, so be patient.

The Wayback Machine is very useful in situations like this.

Good luck!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Wow, thanks so much! I got the files and saved them an a couple places.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Daniel Kaufman

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Everything will disappear sooner or later, unless you save the page or paste it on a Word document and save it.\

All the Mandozine CoMando Guest of The Week interviews were gone, including mine. Luckily, I had copied it and saved it on Word a few years ago. I guess I need to delete that link on my Cafe signature.

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Everything will disappear sooner or later, unless you save the page or paste it on a Word document and save it.\

All the Mandozine CoMando Guest of The Week interviews were gone, including mine. Luckily, I had copied it and saved it on Word a few years ago. I guess I need to delete that link on my Cafe signature.

Well, it's a truism that nothing lasts forever. Not me, not you, and not anything else! But the June 1, 2003 interview with you, Niles Hokkanen, can still be found on the web, if you know where to look! As I indicated in my previous post on this thread, both current and obsolete sites are archived by the Wayback Machine. Their most recent scan of that site, from Nov. 2019, carries all the old Co-Mando content that Mandozine once held. That includes your 17-year-old interview. You can find it right here, at either of these links:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170609...GOW/niles.html

Mandozine: CoMando Guest of the Week (archive.org)

Happy (re-)reading, Niles! No, nothing is forever, but very little is permanently lost from the web, thanks to efforts like this.

11. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Thanks. I used that link you provided to restore the interview to my signature.

That said, I think it's a good idea to make/save any stuff you think it really good that is on the web. It may be archived somewhere, but very hard to find. There were some really good essays on the Bernie Krauss (remember Beaver & Krause?] pages that eventually "went away. There was a site that explored a myriad of Middle-east and North African rhythms. I printed out this material, slapped the pages into a comb-binder and added to my "library".

Yeah.... detractors might call you anal-retentive, but I think of it as "backup", cause you'll never know where your interests will lie 10 years from the present, and if that stuff will still be accessible. It's a mistake to believe that it will "still be on the web" or, if it is, that you can ever locate it on an archive.

NH

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

13. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Thanks. I used that link you provided to restore the interview to my signature.

That said, I think it's a good idea to make/save any stuff you think it really good that is on the web. It may be archived somewhere, but very hard to find. There were some really good essays on the Bernie Krauss (remember Beaver & Krause?] pages that eventually "went away. There was a site that explored a myriad of Middle-east and North African rhythms. I printed out this material, slapped the pages into a comb-binder and added to my "library".

Yeah.... detractors might call you anal-retentive, but I think of it as "backup", cause you'll never know where your interests will lie 10 years from the present, and if that stuff will still be accessible. It's a mistake to believe that it will "still be on the web" or, if it is, that you can ever locate it on an archive.

NH
    Never mind the possibility of an EMP Pulse

The "all zip files" is not really a complete list of the TablEdit files. They only go up to 2012 and it even says that on the archive page, "The ALL Files Zip file and Category Zip files contain all tunes up to Sept. 23, 2012." I wrote the TablEdit search for John and helped him maintain the site, I can tell you the 6MB download is not even close to complete. I have all the TablEdit files and it is closer to 19MB.

Larry

Niles,

Your early transcriptions inspired me to learn how to transcribe mandolin solos. I think I still have a couple of those staples booklets somewhere in my basement. Great job!

Larry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	niles.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	192051
    Niles pictures from CGOW.

Blog Entries

FYI, I just went to mandozine and found that the tab files are back up again. Thank you to whoever makes that possible.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by LarryTanner View Post
    The "all zip files" is not really a complete list of the TablEdit files. They only go up to 2012 and it even says that on the archive page, "The ALL Files Zip file and Category Zip files contain all tunes up to Sept. 23, 2012." I wrote the TablEdit search for John and helped him maintain the site, I can tell you the 6MB download is not even close to complete. I have all the TablEdit files and it is closer to 19MB.

Larry
    In that case, why not do us all a great service and upload a ZIP file to Mandozine with all known TablEdit files to date, I ask, or make it available to MC members in some other fashion? It should not be too hard to put together if you have all the files, as you wrote.

Larry, I’d be happy to discuss hosting mandozine in the future if the current hosts are looking to pass the responsibility on. I love keeping valuable mandolin archives online to the best if my ability.

Thanks very much,
    Baron
    Www.mandolessons.com
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I'm going to donate. I love the site and get so much from those files! So glad it's back up.

Blog Entries

I have put a zipped folder, called "mandozine-TEFs.zip" onto my Google drive. It is accessable at https://drive.google.com/file/d/19CO...ew?usp=sharing . It contains all the folders found in the allfiles.zip plus a folder (named "tunes not in zip") with the ninety or hundred tunes I found dated after September 2012. Thus I presume it is complete. Those newer submissions are not categorized into folders.

You are welcome to download the zip file from my google drive.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

23. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Thanks Hank!
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    In that case, why not do us all a great service and upload a ZIP file to Mandozine with all known TablEdit files to date, I ask, or make it available to MC members in some other fashion? It should not be too hard to put together if you have all the files, as you wrote.
    Very true and that process it underway. More to come.

Larry

We are bringing back the TablEdit files. Here is the link:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/te/

Larry

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LarryTanner For This Useful Post:

I had forgotten what a wonderful resource these TEF files were. Thanks to Hank for posting the main TEFzip file. I have downloaded it and I am checking the extracted TEF files out.
    Nic Gellie