Thread: Mandolin Build RAG Mandolins

Post Mandolin Build RAG Mandolins

Looked high and low for an oval F style and decided for the money to invest in a USA builder instead of an import.

Found Roy A. Gordon in the builders section. Contacted him, gave him some measurements and we made a deal.

Here it is in the white:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	192023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	192024[ATTACH=CONFIG]192023

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steve in tampa For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolin Build RAG Mandolins

Well that is a beauty! I’m looking for templates and molds to build one by myself but any help could be useful.

I am very happy with my Roy Gordon. I purchased number 40 in April of 2020. The sound is great and the playability is excellent. Terrific volume. Very well made. My mandolin instructor who plays professionally and owns both a Girouard and a Hinde, loves it. I believe you'll be very happy with it. I'll see if I can't attach a photo. Here's a few photos of it. I believe some are when it was in Roy's shop in Fort Ann NY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-40-front.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	192045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-40-side.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	192046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200510_185418_resized.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	192047  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAG40.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	192048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200510_185321_resized.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	192049  
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

5. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

That's some gorgeous wood! When it's up and running, I'd love to play it. I'm an hour south of you. -RR

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I will be using it on stage with the band.

Ryan, my instructor, plays mandolin with The Dirty Grass Players in Baltimore. Before everything shut down they were doing 130 shows a year. He was really impressed when I brought the Roy Gordon to his house. He played it after a lesson and thought it sounded great. He owns both a Hinde and a Girouard and knows what he likes.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Bill,

Sounds great! I found Roy here in the builder's section and liked his no frills presentation on his web site. He is very easy to communicate with, and clearly uses some fine woods.

11. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by steve in tampa View Post
    Bill,

Sounds great! I found Roy here in the builder's section and liked his no frills presentation on his web site. He is very easy to communicate with, and clearly uses some fine woods.
    Agreed Steve. On all counts. Ryan and I were both impressed with the wood. I saw he had a few for sale and I listened to several clips he had. The sound coming out of #40 was what I was looking for. Bought it that day.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

They are a really great band. I've only been able to see them in person once, having had conflicts a couple other times when they played near me. I was hoping to get down to the Camel a few times last year to see them on their residency and then "all this" happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    They are a really great band. I've only been able to see them in person once, having had conflicts a couple other times when they played near me. I was hoping to get down to the Camel a few times last year to see them on their residency and then "all this" happened...
    I believe you mean Dirty Grass, as they were supposed to play April 3rd 2020 at the Camel with Fireside Collective. I saw the last show they did just prior to Saint Patty's Day 2020 in Annapolis, at Ram's Head, in early March of 2020. They did play there at Ram's Head again this year I believe, to a 50% or 75% limit crowd. Ryan's doing mostly all teaching now until they can get back on the road.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    I believe you mean Dirty Grass, as they were supposed to play April 3rd 2020 at the Camel with Fireside Collective. I saw the last show they did just prior to Saint Patty's Day 2020 in Annapolis, at Ram's Head, in early March of 2020. They did play there at Ram's Head again this year I believe, to a 50% or 75% limit crowd. Ryan's doing mostly all teaching now until they can get back on the road.
    Yes, I mean Dirty Grass Players. I also love Fireside Collective and had that show on my radar. I believe they were scheduled to play one Friday night a month at the Camel for the whole year. Baltimore is a little far for me, but Richmond is just around the corner.

Yes, I mean Dirty Grass Players. I also love Fireside Collective and had that show on my radar. I believe they were scheduled to play one Friday night a month at the Camel for the whole year. Baltimore is a little far for me, but Richmond is just around the corner.
    I saw Fireside at Charleston Bluegrass. I've seen Dirty Grass three times. Twice at the Ram's Head in Annapolis and once in Duck, NC. I've got a couple CD's by both bands. I'm looking forward to when some live shows come back. A few places in this region were having outdoor shows until it got too cold. There was one place up in Winchester VA that was doing live shows. Can't think of the name of it.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    I saw Fireside at Charleston Bluegrass. I've seen Dirty Grass three times. Twice at the Ram's Head in Annapolis and once in Duck, NC. I've got a couple CD's by both bands. I'm looking forward to when some live shows come back. A few places in this region were having outdoor shows until it got too cold. There was one place up in Winchester VA that was doing live shows. Can't think of the name of it.
    I think that is the Bright Box in Winchester. I've been there, but not in a while. The Camel in Richmond is also doing some live shows indoors. I've not been comfortable with the indoor shows, so my outlets have all been outdoors and I am just hibernating until it warms up a little more. Haven't seen live music since the first week in November. B Chord in Round Hill has been hosting some shows and a couple of the wineries near me have had some outdoor shows. Not complaining, though, I've remained employed and healthy and had plenty of time to practice. You would think I would be a better player...

I've been able to see Fireside about 5-6 times, always in festival situations. I've worked some on a couple of Fireside tunes as well. Just the once for Dirty Grass Players, but they ripped.

I think that is the Bright Box in Winchester. I've been there, but not in a while. The Camel in Richmond is also doing some live shows indoors. I've not been comfortable with the indoor shows, so my outlets have all been outdoors and I am just hibernating until it warms up a little more. Haven't seen live music since the first week in November. B Chord in Round Hill has been hosting some shows and a couple of the wineries near me have had some outdoor shows. Not complaining, though, I've remained employed and healthy and had plenty of time to practice. You would think I would be a better player...

I've been able to see Fireside about 5-6 times, always in festival situations. I've worked some on a couple of Fireside tunes as well. Just the once for Dirty Grass Players, but they ripped.
    When I saw Fireside in Charleston they had that great time slot of Sundown, and they really had the crowd going. Jesse, the mandolinist is a very personable guy and I spoke with him and had an enjoyable conversation at their artist's table after the set.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Being shipped this week. Hope to have it before a show on the 13th.

20. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

Came in yesterday. #58. Plays very well all the way up the neck. The sound is very balanced. The neck was made to my specs and is just what I was looking for.

22. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post: