Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I seeing more A style mandolins?

Default Re: Am I seeing more A style mandolins?

However, the cheap Romulan Rim knock-off sold as a "Schmergel" Scroll & Points Kit can often be found advertised late at night on TV for the less discriminating.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

I actually think there might be more Fs around, since with the coming of Eastman and higher end Kentuckys and, at a higher but still somewhat more affordable point, Northfields, they are more attainable. When done well, the F style is a beautiful thing in my eyes. But on the other hand though I bought an F some 14 years ago that I love, I care less now than I did 20 years ago when I started playing and also see the beauty in the A shape (personally I prefer the Gibson Loar A pear shape to the teardrop). Also it depends on the music. For example, one sees more As and few Fs at old time jams. Which I think is why I associate As with old time (and play an A style oval hole).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    JB I am surprised that you are not hip to Tim O'Brian! He was a founding member of Hot Rise and famously played (and still does) a black topped Nugget A-5 mandolin. He was a standout in the bluegrass world when most everyone else was playing F styles.
    Red Rector played some pretty good bluegrass on a short neck oval hole, and Buzz Bugsby played an A50 (?) also short neck. I think the short neck probably held back the A’s as much as anything. And I’m speaking mainly about bluegrass