Thread: The O'Carolan Project

Default The O'Carolan Project

First off, I'd like to thank Rob Meldrum for his Mando set up book. I have been having a lot of fun using it on my first mandolin, a Washburn I spent about $125 on years ago.

Anyway - regarding the O'Carolan Project - has anyone else had a problem with the notation not matching the tab on several of the tunes? It took me a while to realize the discrepancy. I can use the tab but would prefer the notation. The first line of Kean O'Hara - Third Air, first two lines of Morgan Magan, and all of Mrs. Maxwell First Air are examples. I've tried redownloading them to no avail. I love the arrangements, I've played the tunes on guitar for many years. It's not clear to me who exactly made them available - can someone here tell me?
    thanks for any help from a long time lurker, first poster!

Default Re: The O'Carolan Project

I see that, too. It looks like the standard notation E, second fret of the D string, is a bit more in the F space, rather than on the E line.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

What exactly is the O'Carolon Project? I Googled it and found a FB page that features a bunch of videos from a harp player. Is this it, or is it a book, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    What exactly is the O'Carolon Project? I Googled it and found a FB page that features a bunch of videos from a harp player. Is this it, or is it a book, etc?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ocarolan/

BTW, if folks want a deeper dive into Carolan there are many resources - including Simon Chadwick's who recently commissioned a replica for more research. http://simonchadwick.net/irish-harp

5. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Caleb