Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Snowing Down in Texas

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default It's Snowing Down in Texas

Yessir.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It's Snowing Down in Texas

Yessir. The entire state is under a winter storm warning, for the first time, ever. That would mean it's a big storm. Time to hunker down and play some blues.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Stay warm.

We even got snow here in New Mexico!
    A lot of my friends in Texas have no electricity right now, pray that it warms up and that they get some power back soon.

5. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Yessir.
    Yessir indeed.

I’m in North Texas (Dallas area) and as I type this it’s about 5 degrees and everything is covered in snow. Lots of folks are without power and water. Not good.

Crazy times . . . Not much snow here in Minnesota but ripping cold. It’s -18 this morning, -25 yesterday. I have one mandolin on the stand in my living room and I’ve been doing a little recording with my 1917 Gibson A4 down in my office/studio (where the furnace is running constantly). I have to pick my moments to hit the record button.

It's snowing down in Texas
    All of the power lines are down.

Yep. Snow, no power and frozen water lines. Weird for us here in Texas. It was kind of nice when it snowed about a month ago. A rare occurrence, and something to kind of enjoy. But twice in one year?

The attraction has clearly worn off for me. I love you northerners, but you can keep your cold weather..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

10. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I'm down the road from Caleb. Needless to say we have snow also (4 inches or so). Many of our neighbors are without power. We're near a hospital and are on that grid, so we should be OK. We've unplugged and lowered out thermostats to do our part. Humidity in my home office/practice room is 16%. Thanks to whomever started the thread on humidity.

12. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I'm down the road from Caleb. Needless to say we have snow also (4 inches or so). Many of our neighbors are without power. We're near a hospital and are on that grid, so we should be OK. We've unplugged and lowered out thermostats to do our part. Humidity in my home office/practice room is 16%. Thanks to whomever started the thread on humidity.
    Much the same here. I'm on the same grid as the hospital in Bedford, so we've been enjoying heat and water all along. But others are really suffering. Looking forward to the weekend when everything (hopefully) starts to thaw.

Here in Rochester we average 100 inches of snow per winter. Needless to say, we get used to it (about eight inches last night, more on the way later in the week).

I have a lot of sympathy for those south of us who only have to deal with significant snow once every couple decades. I gather snow in Brownsville TX hadn't been recorded since they started keeping records in the 19th century, until it happened couple days ago.

I'm hearing that changes in ocean temperatures, related to overall climate change, are going to result in "crazy" weather patterns during all seasons. Not enough of a climatologist to evaluate the claim, but it does seem that we're getting greater extremes recently.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Yessir. Climate change is producing extreme weather conditions of all sorts. So I hear. I chuckle when I see climate change deniers saying nonsense such as, "Global warming ain't real. Lookit these big winter storms and suchlike." nope. Conitions are getting stretched away from moderation. So I hear, anyway.

Texans and other frozen people, don't read this: Hadn't heard that about Brownsville. Hasn't happened here. Record low is 41° and it's never snowed here. That could change, I guess, but that would be a whopping deviation from normal.

I've seen some weird snow occurrences. Like driving south then west during the winter of '77-'78. Woke up to snow falling on us in the campground in SC. Snowed all the way to Savannah, by which time there was an inch of snow on the palm fronds. Surreal. So was the utter silence in the diner - people were shocked.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Sending all y'all a wintry wish of warmth, by way of surviving the horrors of a cold wind howling, apocalyptic imagery and all. Rare acoustic version of a bit of a barn burner.

From 337 4 Cold Wind Howling.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    It's snowing down in Texas
    The attraction has clearly worn off for me. I love you northerners, but you can keep your cold weather..
    Well, as a Montanan, you've got our weather; you can send it back when you're done.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wreded View Post
    Well, as a Montanan, you've got our weather; you can send it back when you're done.
    We are more than done! My son is in Missoula. Thought we raised him to know better.

Journey Bear you mentioned the winter '77 and the Blizzard of 77 is legendary here in Western NY. Snowdrifts up to the power lines, howling non-stop winds and below zero wind chill for days. The Mayor of Buffalo, the late Jimmy Griffin, gave us his words of advice : "Get a six pack and stay home.". We were used to our winters however.
    But what's happening down South is downright dangerous. Thoughts and prayers to y'all. Stay safe.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Gnann For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    ... the Blizzard of 77 is legendary here in Western NY.
    Yes, it was. I misspoke earlier - it would have been the winter of '76-'77. I recall seeing photos of people going out in the stuff with paper bags over their heads, with cutouts for their eyes. My friend and I skedaddled in February, heading to LA, going south first and then west. As described, winter followed, hard on our heels. Along with what I'd mentioned, when we got to New Orleans, we'd just missed a cold snap that had frozen people's pipes and caused frost heaves. I know this photo Shows something that pales in comparison to what people in the brunt of that storm and now this one face(d), but the surprise of snow in sunnier climes is a subtle bit of surrealism. I got a chuckle out of recognizing the Gremlin, even under the snow - that was my first and second cars. I'd know that funky hatchback anywhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Florida Snow 77.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	192109

Blog Entries

Lets steer clear of Climate Change conversations. I sincerely hope Texas get's it's power back ASAP. When you don't have that kind of weather normally, you don't build for it and pipes break and folks get cold. That's not good.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I learned something on the news tonight. There are three main power grids in the country - the Eastern grid, the Western grid, and the Texas grid, called ERCOT. I don't know how that came to be, but I hope this situation doesn't overwhelm it for long. I also hope there's some way it can be tied to either or both of the other grids temporarily so people can get through this emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I sincerely hope Texas get's it's power back ASAP. When you don't have that kind of weather normally, you don't build for it and pipes break and folks get cold. That's not good.

Jamie
    We're a few days into this thing here in Texas and many of my friends and neighbors are having to melt snow to have drinking water and flush the toilet. One good friend in the area lives in an apartment; they have had no water or power for two days. Roads are in very bad shape. This area isn't set up for such conditions. It's 23 degrees right now in my neighborhood and the high is still a freezing temp. Tomorrow it's supposed to get above freezing in the daylight hours, but then at nightfall, all will refreeze and the roads will be even worse. It will likely be Sunday before anything like normalcy will ensue.

This is the first time we’ve had internet long enough for me to get on MC. Sunday night when this cold front was moving in, I was thankful that our sunroom was climate controlled and I had little concern for my mandolins hanging on the wall. Then the power went out. I quickly pulled out their cases and put them in the dining room, the middle of the house. We are one street off the hospital grid so we’ve had several 10 hour outages. Hopefully, they fared well. Never got below 50 in the house. Now it’s a regular, rolling outage routine so we can plan our cooking and other things. Looking forward to pulling them back out and start playing again.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I'm on a job in sunny L.A. at the moment, while my wife is home alone in a home covered with icicles, surrounded by snow, only one water tap working ... thankfully she hasn't lost power. My granddaughter north of the Metroplex was without power for three days ... she has a two year old child and is pregnant with twins. Most of my progeny in the area are hanging in there okay, but it's rough. Due to Covid, many stores are making people wait in line out in the snow to get in to buy food and supplies, what's left of it.

I wish I had been home with my wife for this, will be done and headed home Friday or Saturday and I expect to be dealing with damaged plumbing for a while at the least.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    ...When you don't have that kind of weather normally, you don't build for it and pipes break and folks get cold. That's not good.

Jamie
    You're being generous, as usual, Jamie.

We've just got the power back on after 2+ nights of no heat but the fireplace in Montana-style cold. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Folks sharing firewood while the lights blaze in empty high rises downtown.

Not much Texans can agree upon these days but Stevie Ray ought to be one of them.

I think he puts it succinctly here.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

Dang! Stevie! Hot backup, too. That should warm you up a bit. At least internally. Still working on the externally ...

Blog Entries

Hey! How's it going in Texas? It's been awfully quiet on this thread for a week. I'm sure all y'all got a lot to do, a lot more important things to do than go online. If you can, power situation being what it is. But let us know you're all right. We're not just members here, we're friends, more or less, and we look out for each other.