Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Snowing Down in Texas

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Re: It's Snowing Down in Texas

Last Tuesday's high temp here was 17, yesterday 81. That's Texas.

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hey! How's it going in Texas? It's been awfully quiet on this thread for a week. I'm sure all y'all got a lot to do, a lot more important things to do than go online. If you can, power situation being what it is. But let us know you're all right. We're not just members here, we're friends, more or less, and we look out for each other.
    Thanks for checking on us!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Oh good! Coverage has dropped off on the news a bit. And I've been cutting back on my news watching. Back to 80s? Wow!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Last week it was in the teens and in my garage I had a small space heater on to keep the pipes to my washer/dryer from freezing. Today I have the AC on in my house. Texas, indeed!

Blog Entries

Thay's crazy! Good news, but crazy. Talk about mood swings!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

In DFW, we've gone from 0 to 80 degrees in a week. Last week, we were wearing layered clothing and heavy jackets just to stay warm in our houses due to the power outages. Yesterday, T-shirt and jeans. Today, riding around town with the windows down. I was elated to be able to pull my mandolins back out and play after our power came on, and stayed on. Supplies at grocery stores are slowly restocking. The contractors and plumbers I've spoken to say that some repair items are in short supply due to demand and the shut-down last week. Some got hit harder than others with busted pipes and water damage. A lot of people rallying to help each other out.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

So I am really into the western novels of Louis L'Amour. In the books, the Texas Rangers and other cowboy type good guys are often out on the range when a weather phenomenon called a "Norther" sweeps in, and it is suddenly super cold/snowy for a period of time before going back to generally warm weather. Is this what just happened to you guys out there, a kind of "Super Norther"?

I also hope everyone is starting to get things sorted. It reminded me a bit of the giant ice storm we had in December 2008. Alot of people were out of power for over a week, pipes froze, etc. Many people living in the new developments were unprepared. We've got a wood stove and a generator and had a really long power cord running across the field to our neighbor. I recall we had a bunch of utility folks from Texas here helping straighten things out. Hope ours are down there helping you all out this time.

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

We get that too, after big hurricane - utility trucks from all over show up to help with restoration. I have no idea how they're funded or organized or anything. But it sure is a welcome sight.

Blog Entries

OK, this is something I've been working on for a few days. I wanted to send a little cheer and empathy out to my friends suffering through winter in Texas and elsewhere. Trying to do the drums while playing and singing just got to be too daunting a task, try as I might. I enlisted the help of my friend and sometime duo partner, Luna. She wasn't free till this evening, so we knocked it out. It's a little rough, but time was wasting. As you can tell, I reworked SRV's "Texas Flood" to suit the current situation. I may edit the wild, wacky windup. I dunno ... Enjoy!

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: