Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

Default Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

So I really love my D'Addario Micro Clip On tuners--but I really hate having them on the front of my headstock.

So let me show you one cool trick.

This is my Flatiron with an Micro Clip on tuner on the headstock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	834.9 KB 
ID:	192072

And so is this...

Name:	IMG_5143.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	866.0 KB 
ID:	192073

Now I've got a great way to sneak it on the back full time and be able to sneaky tune without having that tacky thing hanging off the end of the peghead.

Name:	IMG_5144.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	914.3 KB 
ID:	192076

I've been working on the design for the last few weeks, but finally figured out a size and shape that will fit nicely between the tuners on A and F machines, and it attaches with 3M Command adhesive which so far with my testing is varnish safe... Also have some super rigid velcro that allows the internal pezio tuner to work quite nicely still.

Name:	IMG_5145.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	822.5 KB 
ID:	192077
    Last edited by Scott R; Feb-15-2021 at 9:39pm.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

40bpm 

Default Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

Neat.

I'll leave mine where it is though.
    It's more visible where it is, yet fairly discreet, and less likely to be inadvertently knocked when I lay mandolin down or hang it up..

I have occasionally clipped it on the underside with only the clip showing on top.
    Bren

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I am not partial to micro tuners. I don´t like anything added to my instrument. But:

- Why not turn the tuner around and have only a miniscule thingy reach over on the headplate. That way you won´t see the "big" contraption.
    Olaf

I've got a better idea. No offence to you Scott but this issue drives me nuts. Why not take the tuner off when your not tuning. There is no reason on earth for pros ,or amatuers for that matter, to have a big ugly chunk of plastic hanging off their mandolin that costs thousands of dollars. It's unprofessional and just plain ugly. Unless, their tuning. The tuner has a clip and you have a pocket. IMHO

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I've got a better idea. No offence to you Scott but this issue drives me nuts. Why not take the tuner off when your not tuning. There is no reason on earth for pros ,or amatuers for that matter, to have a big ugly chunk of plastic hanging off their mandolin that costs thousands of dollars. It's unprofessional and just plain ugly. Unless, their tuning. The tuner has a clip and you have a pocket. IMHO
    That’s generally what I do. Don’t know what others find; I have several of the micro tuners but every time I go to use one of them, the battery (cell?) seems to be flat.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Nice experimentation

Still, adhesive on your finish makes me nervous.

Your flatiron has some lovely flame!

9. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Well, the adhesive is one I've been testing for months on a Varnish Ellis and my Flatiron and Eastman... so far not even a little bit of an issue.

The big issue I have with the clip on tuners is that they tend to leave white cloudy ghosting in new varnish finishes that many times does not come out. Some sort of reaction between the black rubber and the varnish. I kept forgetting to take the clip tuners off, and then ended up with a semi-circle of cloudy finish the next morning when I remembered to pull it off.

These little Tune Bugs as I call them can put the tuner between the tuning plates on the back of the headstock--in the ideal location for you to see it perfectly when tuning--but you don't leave a mess hanging off your headstock. I've tested these in most cases, and as long as you mount it inside the bounds of the tuning machines it safely will go in Calton or Superior cases on an A or F model without concern, as well as every mandolin stand/guitar stand I've tried them in...

One challenge with clipping it at the end of the headstock, but reversed, is that most A model tuners cramp space too much on the back with the tuning machines and that approach won't work. (You also cover the tuner with your hand while tuning if it is flipped reverse at the tip of the headstock on the back).

As for tuners on instruments--I don't know many plugged-in pro musicians who don't have a tuning pedal on the floor, or acoustic players who don't tune between songs when possible on longer sets (even if it is sometimes by ear). I find myself tuning several times during a practice session, and not having to reach for and throw on/off a tuner is a nice relief.

Then there is this guy who always has one of these Micro Clips on his headstock--I'd love to help him hide it

Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

11. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

I actually love these micro tuners on my guitars that don't have a tuner built in. I have them in three instruments right now. I have one on my banjo but it was really annoying so I had to do some work to get it to function well for me. I hadn't thought about sticking one to my mandolin. Nice work.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I used a violin micro tuner for my banjo and put it on the dowel stick. Works great and is out of sight. Open back banjo of course.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

But when playing a show - it makes for an unnecessary delay and more "vamp" time for who ever is at the mic. I personally would rather be able to check tuning fast and keep the music going than worry about the visual, if you DI you can put a foot pedal tuner in line, but I do prefer to mic over DI.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Then there is this. Anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795X4FL4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geno For This Useful Post:

I got a couple of these tuners for Xmas and have been using them the same way the OP does. When I put one on the tip of the headstock of my MT, it covers up the haircut design (which to me is one of the coolest parts of the instrument's aesthetic) and it drives me to distraction (yep, I'm that weird). Oddly enough, these tuners didn't work well at all on my guitar and I went back to using my old Snark. I keep the guitar tuned down a whole step and the mini won't pick up the low E string in that tuning, and it warbles around on most of the other strings. I was pretty disappointed.

As far as leaving the tuner on at all times: with the Snark, it's easy to take on and off; but with these minis it's not convenient at all. I agree a clipped-on tuner looks terrible no matter what kind it is, but these are best left on at all times.

Geno, I have. Mandolin screws aren't generally long enough to make it fit. And again, it's a tight fit with mando tuners.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I was able to install the tuner Geno links to without an issue on my Collings. I love it. No adhesive and no clip to look at.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

20. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I actually love these micro tuners on my guitars that don't have a tuner built in. I have them in three instruments right now. I have one on my banjo but it was really annoying so I had to do some work to get it to function well for me. I hadn't thought about sticking one to my mandolin. Nice work.
    For guitars with round soundhole it is easy. I have one of these Micro Soundhole Tuners inside my Huss & Dalton. It works great. It wouldn't work for mandolin even oval hole I don't think.

Name:	microSHtuner.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	192103
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have mine on the strap where it attaches to the strap button and it works fine there.

Yup, have one like Geno referenced on my Flatiron A model. Up on the top of the headstock. Fits fine and is pretty invisible from the front.

It might get bumped around in the case and maybe broken, though. Not sure it will be there long term. It's also a slightly wider threading than the stock screws so would not recommend swapping it around different instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I love my Peterson Stroboclip, but hate the clip(it’s big and ugly,IMO)..I have been visualizing using the DAddario Micro clip with an adapter to use the stroboclip head, best of both worlds , it would be on the back of the headstock. I would love it if I could use the stroboclip without any visible clip from the front. As to taking it on and off, during a gig(if they ever happen again), fishing in my pocket 20 times a night is more distracting to me and fans.
    I had a lead on someone to 3D print an adapter for my design, but have not executed my design yet.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I love my Peterson Stroboclip, but hate the clip(it’s big and ugly,IMO)..I have been visualizing using the DAddario Micro clip with an adapter to use the stroboclip head, best of both worlds , it would be on the back of the headstock. I would love it if I could use the stroboclip without any visible clip from the front. As to taking it on and off, during a gig(if they ever happen again), fishing in my pocket 20 times a night is more distracting to me and fans.
    I had a lead on someone to 3D print an adapter for my design, but have not executed my design yet.
    Matt—I’m working on that tuner next, now that I have this one figured out. Want to beta test for me?
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

I generally like D'Addario products and tried the micro. Unfortunately, I was already spoiled by the TC unitune. It's just awesome for getting the unison pairs really in tune with each other.

I like and use the micro tuner. I mount it in reverse so is hardly noticeable. On my Collings MT2 I have it mounted just below the A/E tuners where the headstock juts out and you just about have to look for it to be noticeable. I also like not having to take the tuner on and off, but I am not preforming (jst a jam once in a while). The one issue I have with the tuner is it leaves a mark on the instrument from the rubber disc. It is just smaller than a quarter and very unsightly, especially on a nice instrument. I have wondered about replacing it with a piece of leather. Any thoughts for other suggestions?

There is no reason on earth for pros ,or amatuers for that matter, to have a big ugly chunk of plastic hanging off their mandolin that costs thousands of dollars. It's unprofessional and just plain ugly. Unless, their tuning. The tuner has a clip and you have a pocket. IMHO
    There's nothing unprofessional about making sure you are in tune. I wouldn't even notice it on a performer's instrument, but I'd sure notice him getting it out of his pocket, putting it on, tuning, taking it off, and putting it back in his pocket between every song.

30. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Here's a post from a while ago, see post #13: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ght=Mini+tuner
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

32. The following members say thank you to Mandophyte for this post:

Major discussion of minor issue, IMHO. I can remember hitting a tuning fork against my knee, then pressing it to the top of the instrument and tuning one string to its sound, then trying to tune all the other strings to that string. Still have A and E tuning forks in the accessories pockets of some older guitar cases, 40 years later.

Then carrying an electronic tuner the size of a brick, that only gave the pitches of guitar strings, and trying to tune banjos and mandolins to it as best I could. Either used a transducer with an alligator clip or a suction cup, or relied on the built-in mic -- a frustrating task in a noisy club environment.

Clip-on tuners were a revelation to me: the old Intellitouch, others by Korg or Meisel or whomever. Then the Snark, a step up for sure. Now the li'l D'Addario/Planet Waves jobbie that can sit behind the headstock, with only the clip's arm visible from the audience.

I used to have a "Tune It Or Die!" T-shirt that I sometimes wore to jams or sing-arounds. Lotsa times half the participants were out of tune, and had to be coaxed or coerced to A=440. "Things are different today," as Mick and Keith wrote back a half-century ago -- and, in this respect, substantially better.

Not to "dis" those who find a tiny clip-on ugly and want to hide it; everyone has a right to their own tastes. But the problem of a visible clip-on tuner strikes me as quanta less than the problem of having a hard time getting in tune.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Major discussion of minor issue, IMHO. I can remember hitting a tuning fork against my knee, then pressing it to the top of the instrument and tuning one string to its sound, then trying to tune all the other strings to that string. Still have A and E tuning forks in the accessories pockets of some older guitar cases, 40 years later.

Then carrying an electronic tuner the size of a brick, that only gave the pitches of guitar strings, and trying to tune banjos and mandolins to it as best I could. Either used a transducer with an alligator clip or a suction cup, or relied on the built-in mic -- a frustrating task in a noisy club environment.

Clip-on tuners were a revelation to me: the old Intellitouch, others by Korg or Meisel or whomever. Then the Snark, a step up for sure. Now the li'l D'Addario/Planet Waves jobbie that can sit behind the headstock, with only the clip's arm visible from the audience.

I used to have a "Tune It Or Die!" T-shirt that I sometimes wore to jams or sing-arounds. Lotsa times half the participants were out of tune, and had to be coaxed or coerced to A=440. "Things are different today," as Mick and Keith wrote back a half-century ago -- and, in this respect, substantially better.

Not to "dis" those who find a tiny clip-on ugly and want to hide it; everyone has a right to their own tastes. But the problem of a visible clip-on tuner strikes me as quanta less than the problem of having a hard time getting in tune.
    I figure that I paid a lot of extra money for the fancy scroll and inlays on my F...I don’t want them hiding behind a hunk of molded plastic.
    I really enjoy how a precisely tuned band sounds. I cringe when at a jam and the A=430-442
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

36. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post: