Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

Default Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

So here is what the adapter I designed looks like on the back of the headstock, between the tuners. Yeah, the tuner can sit backwards at the top of an F headstock--but I find that my hand gets in the way when tuning the 3rd and 4th strings. It also can hit in some cases that have a pillow at the end of the headstock.

Is this ridiculous? Yep. Do I enjoy it? Yep . I like a clean scroll, and an easy to see tuner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5152.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	973.3 KB 
ID:	192150

Name:	IMG_5155.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	953.4 KB 
ID:	192151

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	938.7 KB 
ID:	192152

Here is what it looks like when in a Calton, tucks nicely behind everything with no risk of it getting hit.

Name:	IMG_5156.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	705.4 KB 
ID:	192153

And here is a pile of TuneBugs!

Name:	IMG_5154.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	857.9 KB 
ID:	192154
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Then there is this. Anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795X4FL4...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Yes, I have these on both my mandolins and my guitar, they're great.

My friends all had D'Addario violin micro tuners for their fiddles, so I bought one and tried it on my fiddle. I disliked it intensely, it just seemed to always be in the way while I played or just bothered me by constantly peering over the corner at me. Trying to figure out what to do with it, I finally decided to try it on a mandolin. It works fairly well. The only problem is that the clamp is not exceptionally secure, so if I was playing at a jam or actually lived in a world where I had a gig, I don't think it would last very long before falling off. But since I haven't jammed with anyone in almost a year, it works very well for me at home during practice. As tiny tuners go, it gets the job done, no complaints on its accuracy.

Name:	50FABDA2-A355-41A9-9146-64C1F0F13B75.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	192200 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	620A0CAE-9CC6-4665-A18F-4326D3F930F5.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	496.0 KB 
ID:	192201
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    But when playing a show - it makes for an unnecessary delay and more "vamp" time for who ever is at the mic. I personally would rather be able to check tuning fast and keep the music going than worry about the visual, if you DI you can put a foot pedal tuner in line, but I do prefer to mic over DI.
    There's a way to use an inline floor pedal tuner with a mic. Back when I was doing gigs, I used DPA 4099 clip-on mic and ran the output to a Sound Devices MP-1, a small battery powered mic preamp with phantom power and a line output. And then line out to a Peterson tuner pedal with XLR out to the board. The preamp was pricey but worked great. Our gigs had fairly low stage volume, it might not work as well if you're on a loud stage.

Regarding the "look" of a constantly clipped tuner, I'm not a fan, especially with the Peterson Stroboclip I use. In Irish/Scottish pub sessions I just clip it to the front of my shirt or put it in my pocket when not using it. I guess that's partly due to peer pressure. None of the fiddlers, fluters, concertina players or pipers have tuning gadgets clipped to their instruments. I don't want to be the only one sticking out like that. In an OldTime or Bluegrass jam there would be a clip-on tuner on every banjo, guitar, and mandolin headstock so it wouldn't look as out of place.

D'addario makes a version of that tuner that attaches to the tuning machine so you don't get anything visible. It's marketed as a guitar tuner, but it fit the tuners on my collings fine. You take out one of the screws from the tuners, and use the one they give you and thread it through the micro tuner. It's screwed in, shows no hardware on the front of the headstock, and is easily removable.

Question Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

I see them making ones that fit violin's body edges, A friend has ones on his fiddles.. ..

probably same sensor/display, but, a different clamp scheme..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I saw it and had to try it. I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuner.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	192339  

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I saw it and had to try it. I like it.
    Does it ever hit your thumb? Looks close to where it might ride...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I was worried about that but no.

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Does it ever hit your thumb? Looks close to where it might ride...
    On my collings I have one on the tuner towards the other end of the headstock. Just depends on shape of your mandolin and layout of your tuners. The only negative about these is that you can't share your tuner at a jam.

15. The following members say thank you to MandoManCaleb for this post:

Also like the blue and white display over the old red and yellow. Seems possibly faster responding as well.
    I might experiment with a spacer at the second mounting screw so it rests above the first 2 tuner shafts. Need to find the right screw though.

Second screw... bad idea.

Is the D'Addario micro tuner instrument specific or the same one be used on a mandolin, guitar, banjo etc
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MartP View Post
    Is the D'Addario micro tuner instrument specific or the same one be used on a mandolin, guitar, banjo etc
    Cheers
    I use the "Clip-Free" one in the Amazon link on both mandolins. The pics at the Amazon site show it on a couple instruments, but I found out when I first tried these that I could not find a location to mount it on a guitar that had a volute (the kind on a D-28, say), at least not with the larger, sealed tuners. On the mandolin it works well for me, though a rechargeable one would be even better. Battery life, for me at least, does not seem great. Don't know why, as the display is a lot smaller than the big round Snark things.

Name:	IMG_8073.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	200895

Name:	IMG_8077.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	200896
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I bought one of these for my banjo, and although it is nice, and hides neatly, I have a hard time finding it accurate. It's hard to tell how in tune it is as. My Fender tuner on the other hand is very easy and shows nicely when it is even slightly out of tune. I thought at one time, the D'Addario would turn the note Green when you were in tune, but the one I have doesn't. I think this would make it a little easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoManCaleb View Post
    On my collings I have one on the tuner towards the other end of the headstock. Just depends on shape of your mandolin and layout of your tuners. The only negative about these is that you can't share your tuner at a jam.
    I use one of the mini clip-on ones on the back of the headstock and don't tend to take it off.
    I keep an extra in my case for sharing or in case the battery dies.