Thread: Mandolin musical genres / artists

Question Mandolin musical genres / artists

What artist play Mandolin musical genres like for example Battle of evermore or Whiskey in the jar?
    I know Led zepplin plays battle of evermore and Wiiskey in the Jar is Irisk folk. Can we name some non Blue Grass players. Not bashing Blue Grass at all. Just want to branch out.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin musical genres / artists

Ok, there’s a lot of great jazz players - jethro burns, don stiernberg, Jason Anick, tiny moore, ...

Early Jethro Tull featured mandolin
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

There's a lot of mandolin in early Blues. Check out Yank Rachel tearing it up. And Rich DelGrosso on the contemporary side

Here's a suggestion: spend some time exploring the Mandolin Cafe mp3 Library. Lots of different genres represented there and there are even son tabs at the top of the list for specific genres.

Also search for mandolin on Youtube.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

There's a thread here about the use of mandolin in rock that has a list of over 100 bands and 300, maybe 400 songs. The most recent update was 2 1/2 years ago, and is spread over Posts #296-298, because it's that far over the character limit for a single post. It's high time for it to be updated again. Must get around to it ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Round Tuit.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	192110

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-songs-w-mando
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Unsure of the mandolin player's name, but a defunct band I found this last year called Larry and His Flask are really interesting and fun.
    Swing, folk, punk rock, rockabilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlICr7YpDUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjC1yzwRpg
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

If you go to the category "Jazz/Blues Variants, Bossa, Choro, Klezmer" on the Forum page, you'll find 50 entries with blues and blues-related mandolin, by neatly 50 different musicians.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...mps-amp-Rags-1
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.