Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Cold to Ship Your Instrument

Default Too Cold to Ship Your Instrument

Anybody else have the bad luck of buying a mandolin this week and it not shipping due to the cold? Oh well, it will warm up eventually.

Default Re: Too Cold to Ship Your Instrument

I’m having one shipped that’s scheduled to be here tomorrow. I’m not too worried about a delay but with the extreme cold I’m sure concerned about finish checking.
    Mine is a solid body instrument so I’m hoping they’re a little less vulnerable.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to ask the seller to hold off on shipping it for a little while. Like until April.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

As I've mentioned before, if possible consider having your package held at the shippers local terminal for your pickup. This eliminates one more day jostling around in the back of an unheated truck. And the possibility of your package being left on your porch in the winter cold. Not to mention porch pirates!
    Also this allows you to inspect your package before you accept and sign for it. A damage claim after delivery can be a hassle, between you and carrier, not necessarily the shipper.
    You'll have to work with the shipper to make this arrangement.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Gnann For This Useful Post:

I just shipped my 100 year old A2, but I'm not at all worried about the cold. I worried about completely immobilizing it within the packaging, and making the parcel as strong and resistant to shock as I could think of. I built my shipping container out of 4mm plywood underlayment, and used a sheet of styrofoam insulation cut into 9 layers (16' x 32"), based on the principle of how HoGo (Adrian Minarovic) ships his instruments, shown in post # 43 of this thread, except I shipped it in it's case - immobilized using styrofoam cut to fit as closely as possible.

Should arrive at its destination today, I'll be interested to find out how it fared.

No pic of the inside, but here's one I took to document the shape it was in when I delivered it to the shipper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6700.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	433.1 KB 
ID:	192125
    Clark Beavans

Yes Bob, this is what I should have done.

Yes. Ordered from James at The Mandolin Store on Friday, the 12th. At the time of purchase he told me it would not ship until Monday to keep it from sitting in a FedEx warehouse over the weekend. Then an email arrived Monday, saying it would not likely ship until this spat of icy weather passes; I don't expect it to ship now until next Monday.
    More patience...... :-)

Well I’ve kind of already written this one off as a loss. I knew better than to do it during weather this cold but was assured by a couple people that it would be ok.
    Anymore it’s impossible to get assistance from ups about anything and the last banjo that I insured heavily and paid for packing and shipping came in with a broken heel. I realized then after trying to deal with them for a claim that they weren’t going to do anything but hassle me. Luckily it was a relatively easy repair but the neck has been repaired.
    My opinion of them changed from very positive to very negative and unfortunately this mandolin is coming in with them. It seems so difficult to just check with them about possibly picking it up myself. There are two facilities here, one real close and the other a difficult drive but I doubt I could ever get the info from them about where it will be and when it will get there. I’d certainly prefer to pick it up

Quote Originally Posted by 1nHarmony View Post
    Yes. Ordered from James at The Mandolin Store on Friday, the 12th. At the time of purchase he told me it would not ship until Monday to keep it from sitting in a FedEx warehouse over the weekend. Then an email arrived Monday, saying it would not likely ship until this spat of icy weather passes; I don't expect it to ship now until next Monday.
    More patience...... :-)
    Yep, that’s my exact same story and timing. I ordered a pretty nice mandolin so no need to risk the cold.

I believe finish checking as well as cracking will not be the fault of the shipping company, therefore not covered under an insurance claim.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

After my dealings with UPS over the broken banjo I realize they’re not responsible for anything under any conditions.
    However I agree that finish checking wouldn’t fall under their responsibility. People like me should have sense enough to know better!
    As Dave Ramsey says I’ll be paying a stupid tax for my ignorance

YES !!! Waiting, patiently? But very glad they held off shipping. Next week looks GREAT!

Get a tracking number from your vendor ( or pic of their shipping label including bar code) sent to your email or phone. Shipping companies have an app you can use to track your package. You'll know where it is and when it's on their truck heading to your home.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Lbartosh View Post
    I’m having one shipped that’s scheduled to be here tomorrow. I’m not too worried about a delay but with the extreme cold I’m sure concerned about finish checking.
    Mine is a solid body instrument so I’m hoping they’re a little less vulnerable.
    I certainly understand the concern about finish checking. I know there is no guarantee but I think checking usually occurs when you shock the instrument with one extreme or the other. If you keep it in the box for a few hours or even all day or overnight in room temperature it might be fine. Of course there is no control over what the carrier and handlers will do but we are always up against that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim and Bob for the info and yes Jim I’m hoping that by letting it adjust temperature wise before opening the unpacking it’ll be ok.
    I did get ahold of the local hub and they said it’s being unloaded soon, then I can come get it in the morning! Hopefully with that and the fact that it’s a solid body I may be ok. Like Jim I think sometimes with the thinner tops and temperature shock that’s where the checking and cracks come in.
    It will be stored at ups in a heated area once it’s off the truck so that’ll give it some warm up time followed by whatever time I leave it uncrated at home.
    I appreciate all the support of those who have posted and will follow up tomorrow with whatever I find.
    Just for future info
    For those of you who may be unaware I learned that it’s best to ship air because of less handling HOWEVER,
    I WAS TOLD BY A COMPANY ADJUSTER that nearly everything goes land because of the cheaper cost. I paid 300.00 for a pack and ship air and it still went ground.

I have two mandolins on the way to me. They were shipped prior to the inclimate weather here in SE MO and have gotten caught up in the "blizzard". My plan is to let them adjust over night, at least, when I get them and then open. I hope they will not be damaged but after they were in the system I could not do one thing about it. We'll see. But if I was the shipper (the seller) I would be very concerned. I think.

My rule of thumb is to wait 24 hours if it was shipped through hot or cold conditions. How did I live without weather apps and online tracking?

I'll slit the tape after a few hours in my music room for better air circulation. Then I'll open the box flaps after several hours, but won't unpack it until the next day. This allows for a gradual acclimation to room temperature and humidity.

Humidity differences can be as big of a shock as temperature. It's hard to wait with it sitting there begging to be played, but worth it.

20. The following members say thank you to Randolph Millsap for this post:

I just had my Old Custom Shop Gibson SJ200 ( I ordered new Through a dealer for Gibson in 1994 ) shipped back to me after selling it in 1996, I found it clear accross the country. ( you have heard the story of falling on hard times? The last thing I wanted to let go of) Well a month later from the time I bought it back in Jan 2021 -40 weather west of Ontario. I did get it yesterday. The finish just in transit went through some heavy finish cracking even after 24 hours of sitting in a box in the room. I just opened this morning. No wood cracks. Thankfully. Hopefully your buyers are aware. Its not the same temp from the west coast to the east coast or in between. If your shipping. Make it quick. It maybe expensive. But its in a heated Aircraft. Just my two cents.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    I have two mandolins on the way to me.
    Following your listings in the classifieds and on Reverb, you seem to be having an awful lot of fun!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I got one yesterday after holding last week. It was warmer Monday and Tuesday here, and it was just a tenor banjo.....LOL. Although, I am holding off sending a mandolin on consignment until later next week. It's just an overnight trip, but still, no need to take a chance and I am in no hurry.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My classic Gibson Jr. (1924-ish) was lost when our home burned down in one of California's wildfires last September. These ice storms seem like the other side of the same coin. I'll be happy to wait. I was never more than a casual player, so my replacement is a simple Eastman 505CC. Not a classic by any means, but it will do me just fine for now. And while I wait, I'm ordering all the supplemental stuff like picks, a strap and books like "Masters of the Mandolin". Also "scratching the itch" with loads of youtube viewing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    Get a tracking number from your vendor ( or pic of their shipping label including bar code) sent to your email or phone. Shipping companies have an app you can use to track your package. You'll know where it is and when it's on their truck heading to your home.
    Not so sure about that. I've had some issues with shipping via USPS - I know, might be different - in which there were long stretches of no report, and I had no idea where it was or when it would get to the next location. A tracking report is generated when the bar code is scanned. When it's on a truck between facilities there is none, and it's frustrating. Also, there have been times when a package would sit at a facility for a day or two, no idea why. So yes, tracking is better than nothing, but sometimes, not much.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Lbartosh View Post
    Well I’ve kind of already written this one off as a loss. I knew better than to do it during weather this cold but was assured by a couple people that it would be ok.
    Anymore it’s impossible to get assistance from ups about anything and the last banjo that I insured heavily and paid for packing and shipping came in with a broken heel. I realized then after trying to deal with them for a claim that they weren’t going to do anything but hassle me. Luckily it was a relatively easy repair but the neck has been repaired.
    My opinion of them changed from very positive to very negative and unfortunately this mandolin is coming in with them. It seems so difficult to just check with them about possibly picking it up myself. There are two facilities here, one real close and the other a difficult drive but I doubt I could ever get the info from them about where it will be and when it will get there. I’d certainly prefer to pick it up

If you have a smart phone or tablet, download the UPS app. If you have a tracking # you can change your home delivery to pick up at the branch closest to you in the app. It’s not hard. I was able to figure it out when I discovered with my last purchase that the truck that brings all the packages on our street between 5-6 pm everyday isn’t the one that brings insured items requiring a signature. That truck comes in the middle of the day, when I’m at work. I got the update that they’d missed me via email, changed delivery to the branch by my office, and picked it up that evening.

Hope yours arrives safely. Solid bodies do tend to be less fragile...
    Chuck

I have had pretty good experience with Fedex Home (formerly called Ground). They seemed the most accurate and at times got there sooner than they predicted. I did a trade once and the other guy used UPS. Mine got to him a day before schedule. His got to me about a week later. OTOH UPS has been fine most of the time and until this year USPS was also reliable although it is now my last choice. I just ordered some household supplies from Amazon and tracking says they have been sitting in New Jersey for 2 weeks. I asked and got a refund.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Hope yours arrives safely. Solid bodies do tend to be less fragile...
    Also, with a solid body, if the finish grows a lot of cracks or crazes altogether, it could look cool - real rock 'n' roll. Also, it's not likely to affect the instrument's tone, as it would an acoustic instrument. Of course, you want it to be in the best condition; just mentioning this as a Plan B.