Thread: Do You Mix & Match Your String Set?

Default Do You Mix & Match Your String Set?

Hi Folks:

I've been playing less than a year but I can comfortably hold my own in the Bluegrass jam that I attend. I am a long time guitar player, so I am not exactly a novice. I do have a bit of trouble playing tremolo on the G and D strings which are thicker in diameter and have a higher tension. I feel that the higher tension strings inhibit my up/down/up motion. I currently use medium phosphor bronze strings from J Pearse or Straight Up Strings. I have no problem playing tremolo on the A and E strings.

Do you think that switching to light strings for the G and D, and keeping mediums on the A and E would help? Does anyone mix and match their string sets in this manner?

Or is it my right hand technique that is the problem? I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.

Default Re: Do You Mix & Match Your String Set?

What kind of pick are you using?

I find the heavier strings easier to tremolo because of the resistance. I use a round edge V Pick. Have used Dawgs and Golden Gates in the past.

Practice, go for smoothness before volume. Up and down the courses.

I don't think I would mix string gauges like that because it would create uneven tension on the top.

Maybe your pick is too deep in the strings on your tremolo. A tiny adjustment there can make a big difference in how easy it is to tremolo.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I use a variety of picks of different thicknesses including Blue Chip, Wegens, Dawgs, all have rounded corners. You're probably right that I just need more practice and need refine my pick holding technique.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by Lucas; Feb-18-2021 at 12:28pm.

I don't see why you shouldn't try mixing string sets. It's a pretty cheap experiment. If you still had the problem, then you could blame it on pick or technique.

Mixing/matching different string sets is so common in the violin world, that your'e probably in the minority if you don't do it.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

You might try a set of these GHS strings -basically what you are asking for -

https://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a260.html

ccravens: thanks for the encouragement. It's a cheap experiment worth trying.

NW Steve: great find! I'm going to try this string set.

If you haven’t tried Mapes I would suggest them. You can order custom sets with each string the gauge you want. I have used their nickel wound for sometime, today I ordered a phosphorus bronze to try on s different mandolin

Mandoplumb:

I didnt know that Mapes sold their own brand of strings. I was aware that they supply the core steel wire to many of the string manufacturers. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Mandoplumb:

I didnt know that Mapes sold their own brand of strings. I was aware that they supply the core steel wire to many of the string manufacturers. Thanks for the tip.
    I use their website and order direct from Mape. Good string and reasonably priced even paying shipping. Several sets same shipping so I get about 4 sets at a time

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Only when I break one. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

12. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post: