Thread: Need help identifying date of my F2

Default Need help identifying date of my F2

Hello,

This has been a puzzle for me. I have an F2 with no truss rod and the “Guaranteed” label.
    It was sold to me as a 1927 based on what appeared to be the serial number.

There is no FON I can find. The serial number is written in what appears to be pen, with what appears to be 5 digits starting with 8. I checked the registry, which would put that serial number in the 1927 range, which seems inconsistent with the lack of truss rod. The F2 designation is written very faintly and neatly on the label in pencil.

My theory is it’s actually a four digit serial number, and the fourth number is crossed out.

Would be very interested to hear input from the experts.

Thanks

Default Re: Need help identifying date of my F2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041BC003-3466-487D-B3D3-D3A301D427D6.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	461.1 KB 
ID:	192156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A843C61-D7B2-4FEA-8F7D-E238B914CB96.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	192155Pics

That number does look a bit odd. You should show the tuners, as they may help to date it. The bridge is adjustable- I can't tell if it is original but that was an early 1920s development as was the truss rod. You cannot rule out a mandolin made and then stored but that would be quite a few years.

Edit: This one which is a little newer has the Waverly "bell" tuners. The only one I could find that was in the same ball park as your mandolin had replacement tuners.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/86124
    Last edited by NickR; Feb-18-2021 at 1:17pm.

4. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Thanks for the comment. Here are the tunersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3A6964E0-2F4B-4645-BD5E-1124343DC3EC.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	192157

Those tuners are typical of the earlier Waverly style. Interestingly, they have Philips screws which Gibson began to use in 1939 and they appear to be the Gibson type although I may be wrong on that. It makes me wonder if the instrument has been back to Kalamazoo for a repair if they are the type Gibson used.

Edit: Here is one which has been dated as 1921- and has the same tuners. I don't think your mandolin can be much earlier (four digit number) or it would have the different tuning buttons that were used that look like those on Handel tuners while I am sure these were made by Waverly.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/62722

7. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

I thought serial numbers were always in pencil. It does appear that a number is under the ink. Perhaps use a different light to reveal this penciled number. Almost looks like a 5 under the 8, that'd make it 1920 or so. Also, the color and bridge look much later. So, it may have gone back for a re-do. A prize none the less.
    Last edited by GTison; Feb-18-2021 at 2:37pm. Reason: additional comment

9. The following members say thank you to GTison for this post:

It appears that the inlaid buttons were mainly used on F4 mandolins not F2 models and Gibson stopped getting the inlaid buttons in 1917 or 1918 and continued using Handel tuners until 1922. It is then possible your mandolin is earlier and your tuners were made by Handel. However, the screws are a much later replacement.

11. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Teacher, repair person

The mandolin appears to have had some re-work, and the serial number has certainly been re-written.
    Without seeing more pictures of the instrument, I would tentatively estimate the year as 1920 +/- one year.

13. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	780891A4-9033-48F3-922F-A23DB8F98CF5.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	452.5 KB 
ID:	192159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30CAD583-F186-4482-A8A8-69EC3D00741B.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	192160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70AC61CD-8CB7-400E-97E1-4734D726D342.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	192161Here are some more pics. I’m curious what work you think has been done. I know there is a recent headstock repair and there was a pickup mounted to the top.

It’s a player for me, so the cosmetics are not a big deal. I just want to learn more.

Thanks to all for the informative and thoughtful responses.

I’m curious about what a better light source would be to view the serial number.

Teacher, repair person

Sometimes, I can see the most by viewing the label from several different angles in natural daylight.
    The instrument has been refinished, and the bridge is a Gibson replacement from no earlier than the late 1930's, perhaps much later.

16. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

The lable shows evidence of it having been sprayed over - as far as I’m aware, all labels were inserted after instruments were finished and they should show no evidence of being sprayed over. What I suspect has happened with the number is that somebody has re-written it, badly, in pen, through the soundhole, because it was badly faded. So badly faded that it couldn’t be read and they simply got it wrong.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the insights to those who replied. When the weather improves I’ll try to get a better look at the serial number in outdoor light.

+1 for Bob/rcc56. 1919 to 1921.
    Bob D.

21. The following members say thank you to Bob Dispennette for this post: