Thread: New builder

Default New builder

I have decided to build a mandolin and I am looking for any advice that I can get. I'm a competent woodworker (furniture maker) with an adequate shop but this is a whole new direction for me. I have the plans for an "F" mandolin from StewMac and I've looked for a copy of R. Smirnoff's book (the Ultimate...) but it seems to be unavailable. I figured that this is the place to get the information and guidance that I need.

Thanks

Default Re: New builder

If you are not set on building an F-5, I would also recommend Graham McDonalds book "The Mandolin Project"...

https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Proj.../dp/0980476208

Graham is a member here.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I was able to get a used copy of Siminoff's book and it had all of the plans in it. I would also recomend Graham McDonalds book. I built my bouzouki (first instrument build) from his bouzouki book and am quite happy with it.
    Bob Schmidt

For you're first build, you may want to consider starting with an A5. You get the same sound of F holes without the challenges of carving and binding the scroll. You can use the plans you have for the F5 and just omit the points and scroll.

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Blog Entries

You may also find that you need smaller tools such as thumb planes with flat or convex soles, 1/4 or 1/8 in chisels or gouges, that sort of thing. Plus patience!