Thread: Mandolin bridge spacing?

Default Mandolin bridge spacing?

What's your opinion on comfortable string spacing at the bridge please? My new Eastman 305 measures as follows out of the box (string centre to string centre):

* Between each unison pair - 4mm G to 3mm E
    * Between courses - all 8mm
    * Overall width between the outside strings 40mm

This feels quite wide all round to me - my Guild 12 guitar top 4 courses measure:

* Between each unison pair - 3.5mm G to 3mm E
    * Between pairs - 7.5mm to 7mm
    * Overall width between the outside strings of top 4 courses 36mm

So, what do you find comfortable? Guitarists, do you get your mandolin string spacing adjusted to match your 12 string (it's not possible the other way round), or leave them different? And, would narrrowing the mandolin spacing to match the guitar produce playing difficulties? It looks like my bridge saddle would be OK with that.

Default Re: Mandolin bridge spacing?

Your Eastman's spacing seems close to typical. My between courses runs closer to 3mm to 2.5mm on E and overall width 36-38mm. Bluegrass players may prefer tighter spacing because they play so fast. Comparing 12 string guitar to mandolin isn't really fair as they are played completely differently. Vastly different string tensions and likely a very different pick and technique used. The intercourse spacing affects how the strings feel when pressing down, too close together and they cut into the finger more and also get pushed into each other by the fretting finger. The more you play, your fingers will get used to the differences.

Incidentally, there's been several threads here recently on entry level mandos and everyone has good things to say about the Eastman 300 series as far as bang for your buck. Unfortunately, the next significant step up will likely cost you 5x as much. Play in good health.

3. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

maxr 

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

IMHO, do yourself a favor and work on being adptable to a variety of neck shapes. Plus, width & string spread aren't everything: radius & back architecture also affect how the fretboard feels in hand.

I've noted in the past that some folks search, maybe desperately, for "peferences" which they quickly turn into "requirements". Better to be adaptable rather than to have to say, "Thanks, I'd love to try your '23 Loar but it just doesn't feel like my Eastman!"
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    ...IMHO, do yourself a favor and work on being adptable to a variety of neck shapes...
    I understand where you're coming from Ed - but on the other hand, this Forum is full of posts by people who bought the instrument they play not only for the sound, but because it feels the way it does. So, I'm trying to find out what that feel amounts to in measurements, and whether or not my mandolin could be making life harder than it need be for lack of some simple adjustments. At one extreme, people like me can end up fiddling with instruments rather than playing them. At the other, an instrument that plays easily makes learning and adapting to it a lot easier . Now, does anyone have any more measurements?
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Kentucky KM250 mandolin

2 x Fiddles, 1 x 5 string viola, 1 x 5 string octave viola, 2 X nyckelharpas
    2 X 12 string guitars, 3 x 6 string guitars, 1 x Cuatro de Puerto Rico
    5 x recorders - descant, alto, tenor
    1 X Highland bagpipes
    1 x Garvie 'Session' mouth blown bagpipes in A

Here are a couple of ways of cutting a nut at 1-1/8" width. One has equal spacing between the strings for all double courses; the other uses a smaller spacing for the A & E courses, and a larger spacing for the G & D courses. Measurements are in inches, not mm. There are 2.54 cm per inch. Click on the images to expand them. At the bridge, you can also use a fixed or variable spacing between courses -- your choice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nut1.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	192194
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nut2.jpg 
Views:	1735 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	192195

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I am not sure what the standard luthier measuring system should be but I would guess it is better to measure center to center of the width of each string rather than the space between. I would also think the thickest strings should not be too close to cause buzzing with a robust strum.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not sure what the standard luthier measuring system should be but I would guess it is better to measure center to center of the width of each string rather than the space between. I would also think the thickest strings should not be too close to cause buzzing with a robust strum.
    Indeed Jim - that's what sblock's diagrams above do, and I specify at the end of the second sentence of the original post. I wonder what the measurement is for G and D pairs not buzzing? This mandolin's strings are set further apart in a pair than lower pitch string pairs on my 12 string guitar. You'd expect (on 'common sense', maybe not science) that a lower pitch guitar string would vibrate with a greater amplitude than a shorter higher pitched mandolin string, and therefore a pair could be closer together on a mandolin than a 12 string guitar - anybody know?