Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

  1. #26
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,169

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    FYI- There’s a used Girouard in the classifieds right now (NFI).
    Yes there is!...

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/167537#167537

    NFI

    Oops, I did not see Sherry's previous post.
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  2. #27
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I thought it was Jim Garber, either in this thread, or the orchestra instrument thread I started, but I can't find it now, where he (or someone) posted he finds a V neck uncomfortable to play. I'm finding that with the Gibson A2 I've been trying out. In fact, I tried it again yesterday and found it extremely uncomfortable for playing chords, but fine for melody. Here are pics of the 2 finger D chord on the Gibson and also on my Alvarez (C neck, I believe).

    I plan to try V necks in my search, but any opinions as to whether or not all V necks are going to feel pretty much the same?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210225_163806.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	192309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210225_170853.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	429.4 KB 
ID:	192310

  3. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    S.W. Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,041

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Move your thumb up toward the fingerboard and let the mandolin neck rest in the crook of your thumb, you are using more of a guitar approach. I have both C shape and V shape and either is comfortable for me. Not all will agree tho. Your thumb should go on the side of the V not on the point of the V.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

  4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:


  5. #29
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Move your thumb up toward the fingerboard and let the mandolin neck rest in the crook of your thumb, you are using more of a guitar approach. I have both C shape and V shape and either is comfortable for me. Not all will agree tho. Your thumb should go on the side of the V not on the point of the V.
    I'll try that. It was kind of hard taking those pictures, but it looks like you see what I was doing.

  6. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I too have small hands and very short fingers, and can play both C- and V- neck mandolins with comfort. I have to alter fingerings with some chords, because I just can't reach, although picking is fine with both shapes. I agree with pops1 about the neck placement. Good luck in finding what you are looking for (I have been following your threads with interest in what you end up liking.)

  7. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:


  8. #31
    Mando-Accumulator Jim Garber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    28,348

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I thought it was Jim Garber, either in this thread, or the orchestra instrument thread I started, but I can't find it now, where he (or someone) posted he finds a V neck uncomfortable to play.
    I don’t think it was me. I have little problem with teens Gibsons like the one you are trying out. For years I played a 1919 A-3 and I loved it. However I prefer the tone and neck of my snakehead. I have also played Embergher bowlbacks which have a seriously V/triangular neck also very narrow even less than an inch at the nut. My limit is a wider neck like 1-1/4” or more. Those I do find inhibits my comfort and affects my playing.

    Sometimes some instruments just ask us to change in order to play them. You may or may not want to do that. I don’t get any sense that you are at all enamored of the Gibson in your possession.
    Jim

    My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

  9. #32
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I took a chance and bought a Weber listed in the MC classifieds. Reading back over this thread, I don't see where anyone suggested I look at a Weber. Any particular reason why not?

    So far I'm loving the Weber. As someone in the Newbies group suggested, I can relist if I find something I like better.

  10. #33
    Barn Cat Mandolins Bob Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Salem County, NJ
    Posts
    1,843

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Hi Sherry,

    I can't imagine why Webers wouldn't be recommended. I have one and have had three. I have also played other Webers. I love them. I hope you will love yours but if you don't, the market for them is usually quite good.

    Best wishes,

    Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

  11. #34
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Hi Sherry,

    I can't imagine why Webers wouldn't be recommended. I have one and have had three. I have also played other Webers. I love them. I hope you will love yours but if you don't, the market for them is usually quite good.

    Best wishes,

    Bob
    Thanks, Bob! Maybe it's the longer scale length???

    On a side note, I haven't paid too much attention to Forum members' instrument listings, but now find myself looking for Weber! Not seeing any so far.

  12. #35
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Thanks, Bob! Maybe it's the longer scale length???

    On a side note, I haven't paid too much attention to Forum members' instrument listings, but now find myself looking for Weber! Not seeing any so far.
    Just found 2! Eric Platt and lflngpicker.

  13. #36
    Orrig Onion HonketyHank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I'm a Weber magnet. Don't let me play yours because it might stick too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

    Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

    My website and blog: honketyhank.com

  14. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:


  15. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I took a chance and bought a Weber listed in the MC classifieds. Reading back over this thread, I don't see where anyone suggested I look at a Weber. Any particular reason why not?

    So far I'm loving the Weber. As someone in the Newbies group suggested, I can relist if I find something I like better.
    I have a Weber Bitterroot oval hole, it fits my hands very well (as does my Pava and my Collings.) I believe for me, neck width is more of an issue than neck shape (I also play guitar, and that's where I got the idea that width was more of a problem.) Congratulations, and enjoy the Weber!

  16. #38
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I have a Weber Bitterroot oval hole, it fits my hands very well (as does my Pava and my Collings.) I believe for me, neck width is more of an issue than neck shape (I also play guitar, and that's where I got the idea that width was more of a problem.) Congratulations, and enjoy the Weber!
    You have a nice collection.

  17. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:


  18. #39
    Registered User robert.najlis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I recall finding the neck shape of some Webers to be too large around for my taste, but some people love them. I don't know if all Webers have the same neck shape, and if they have changed over time.

  19. #40

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Sherry, which Weber did you purchase? I have a Weber Bridger that has a sweet tone

  20. #41
    Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    808

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric L View Post
    Sherry, which Weber did you purchase? I have a Weber Bridger that has a sweet tone
    Eric, it's a 2015 Gallatin. I don't find a Bridger on Google.

  21. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,098

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    I’ve not owned any Weber mandolins (yet), but probably only because of limited local availability. I’ve briefly played a Gallatin F style that was very nice, but I really had no time with it. I also played a Bighorn at Lowe Vintage for about a half hour that was exceptional. But, it, an oval hole, also taught me that I’m really into the F hole tone right now, so I didn’t come home with it.

    That said, I’ve owned a Yellowstone Mandocello (absolute tone beast, I just didn’t use it much outside of playing around at home, and we downsized a couple of years ago), a Weber Hyalite 22.5 inch scale carved top oval hole OM (also a tone monster, but the scale length was tough for me on melody work), and I currently own an A style F hole Bitterroot OM with a 20 inch scale length that I’m absolutely loving. It’s getting a lot of playing time despite mando and guitar being my primary instruments. The Hyalite was signed by Bruce, the other 2 signed by their current lead luthier after the TOH took over. All are exceptionally well built, professional caliber instruments that I’ve been proud to own.

    FYI, Sierra Hull played a Weber for quite a while (and her husband has taken it over, as discussed in a recent Mandolin Monday), as has Rhonda Vincent. There are plenty of good ones out there. I think the TOH merger rubbed some of the original brand fans the wrong way, so it lost some buzz, but they’re still building awesome instruments. Of course, Bruce and Mary are back in the game with Montana Luthiery.

    I’m glad you’re loving yours!
    Chuck

  22. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:


  23. #43
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Co. Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    3,163

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Eric, it's a 2015 Gallatin. I don't find a Bridger on Google.
    Not Eric, but chiming in re: the Bridger - it was a D-hole model that was discontinued. If I remember the marketing of it correctly it was voiced for playing "celtic" music (I may be wrong there, maybe it was just popular with folks who played that genre)? I always coveted one but at the time when I was starting out playing anytime a second hand one appeared in the classifieds they were always out of my price range at the time. Another one of their models I always coveted was the Bighorn.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  25. #44
    Maurice McMurry MrMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Mr. Dukak at Big Muddy has had folks with small hands in mind. He offers a violin scale model. Sue Rieter just posted an image of an old Mid Mo brochuer that lists the Kid MO, it was even smaler.

  26. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:


  27. #45
    Registered User Sue Rieter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Not Eric, but chiming in re: the Bridger - it was a D-hole model that was discontinued. If I remember the marketing of it correctly it was voiced for playing "celtic" music (I may be wrong there, maybe it was just popular with folks who played that genre)? I always coveted one but at the time when I was starting out playing anytime a second hand one appeared in the classifieds they were always out of my price range at the time. Another one of their models I always coveted was the Bighorn.
    And I wish I could see what one of those Kid Mo mandolins looked like.

    And then I saw one https://reverb.com/item/1033977-mid-...-8-kid-mo-2000

    According to the ad (sold) only 32 of these were ever made. Cool!
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Mar-16-2021 at 6:00pm.

  28. #46
    Maurice McMurry MrMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    They were very minimalistic. A small version of the Mini MO. Partly inspired by the fluke ukulele. I remember having doubts about the Mini MO thinking it was a toy.
    By golly several thousand of them have been sold and are in the hands of happy players.

  29. #47
    Registered User Sue Rieter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    So not 32. The ad got it wrong. I'd probably get one just for the heck of it if I had a chance.
    Though my hands aren't too small.

  30. #48
    Maurice McMurry MrMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Small hands and neck width - instruments that fit/don't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    So not 32. The ad got it wrong. I'd probably get one just for the heck of it if I had a chance.
    Though my hands aren't too small.
    Sorry, that was confusing. Thousands refers to the Mini MO. The Kid MO was a small run. Last I knew the Kid MO forms and jigs were still around Mikes Shop.
    I am only an obsrever in this thread. My hands are 10 inches across. When I pick up a regular mandolin I may as well have oven mits on.

  31. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •