Thread: Help with exporting Gibson TG-00 - Dot Inlays

Default Help with exporting Gibson TG-00 - Dot Inlays

Hello everyone!

I live in Spain, And I have recently bought a nice 1930's Gibson TG-00 from a local US store.

I wanted to use a ship forwarding service called myus.com, this way the local store sends the guitar within the states to myus.com And they will then forward to me to Spain. I've come across a problem when myus.com opened the package to check if everything was fine for the custom office.

They say they have found a restricted item in the guitar which is "mother of pearl" And that I should pay an additional $180 fee. I didn't know about that, yes the guitar has 7 "pear-like" small dot inlays, and also the Gibson logo looks alike.

Does anyone know if this guitar has REAL mother-of-pearl in it? might it be other material such as pearloid?

Or maybe someone can tell me if there's anyway I can plead to their claim...

Thanks everyone!

Antonio
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	192257

Default Re: Help with exporting Gibson TG-00 - Dot Inlays

Do they know the guitar was built in the 30's?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I believe they do, the receipt says "used Gibson 30/40's"

Teacher, repair person

Every '30's Gibson with dot inlays that I have seen used real mother-of-pearl dots.

They may not know what that means. I believe that antique instruments may be exempt from needing the permit. You and I know what you are saying. Ask if these rules would apply to a tenor guitar built in the US by Gibson in the 1930's.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Hi Antonio, another voice from Spain sharing your pain in getting an instrument imported from the States. I've never had to deal with the issue you're having (I think Mike is correct in stating that this restriction likely doesn't apply to your instrument BTW), but the whims of the Aduana can really add a lot to the total price. I'll check out myus.com, although it may be bad fro my MAS!!

Good news for me... for now!!!
    I have just received an email from myus.com saying that my package was finally approved for shipment, and that it has already departed from their facilities.
    I don't know what happened regarding the issue with the mother of pearl inlays... They didn't provide any information on why now everything seems to be fine. I also don't know if I will have further issues once my package gets to the US custom office. I'll keep you updated!

Hello bbcee, For what I know Spain's customs tax will be a 2,5%, plus the 21% VAT (IVA) which would make at least a 23,5% to be added to the instrument's cost. Yes it's a lot of money... So I believe the only way it is worthwhile to import a guitar from the States is in the case that you find a REALLY good deal , So that even adding up all the huge costs it would eventually still be worth...
    And yes, check out myus.com, besides this issue I had with the inlays they have worked very well in my past purchased, and I saved money because their shipment cost is really cheap. I have this way been able as well to purchase from US stores that don't send the items to foreign countries, as myus.com gave me a virtual US address, so that the seller sends the instrument just like if I lived there.

That sounds about like my experiences price-wise. It ¡s especially painful when it's an already expensive instrument! Good to know your experiences with myus.com have been positive - or maybe bad ...
    Last edited by bbcee; Feb-24-2021 at 11:02am.

Give it another 10/15 years or so and it’ll qualify for 0% VAT as antique!