Thread: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses?

Default Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses?

Has anyone subscribed to any of these and if so what are your thoughts about their program? Here is the website link:
    https://www.oaim.ie/

Default Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I didn't see any octave mandolin courses listed, though there is a Bouzouki Progressions course taught by Alan Reid and he's a monster of a player, so I'm sure that one would be great stuff.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I have been using the Mandolin Basics lessons since April as a way to cope with the pandemic. It’s working. I like that you can go back to a lesson over and over. I’ve logged on 450 times. The instructor, Paddy Cummins will play the tune a couple times and then break it down phrase by phrase, usually a bar or two at a time. This allows you to back it up and to play along, in my case hundreds of times until, I get it down. There are backing tracks played at different speeds.
    Lately, I’m working on The Connacht Mans Rambles. I’ve got the A part down to where I can play it without a mistake 2 out of 3 times ( on a good day).
    It supplies tab and ABC which is helpful. It’s gotten me to the point where I’m going to try live video lessons for a more traditional “by ear” experience. God help me.
    But as far as OAIM goes, I’d say go for it. It’s certainly affordable

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed McGarrigle For This Useful Post:

I have been using the Online Academy of Irish Music for several months now and have worked through the bouzouki classes, a tenor banjo class, and have begun to learn tinwhistle. Previously, I had been a subscriber to Marla Fibish's Peghead Nation class. Both OAIM and the Fibish class have been positive experiences. Here is a comparison of what I see as the strengths of each:

Marla Fibish at Peghead Nation
    * Marla Fibish is very engaging and a great storyteller, and this comes through in her lessons. I am a big fan.
    * Deeper dives into technique than I have experienced in the classes I have taken via OAIM (which admittedly have not been the mandolin classes).

OAIM
    * A great diversity of instruments and instructors. All lessons for all instruments and from all instructors are accessible with your subscription.
    * Stronger options for playing along include recorded sessions and (for newer classes) playalong tracks that are integrated into the web platform. For the latter, you can easily change settings between melody only, melody plus accompaniment, or accompaniment only.
    * Lower price point.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben Vierra For This Useful Post:

You know, I feel that I should amend my comments about OAIM being lighter on technique. I have started the Paddy Cummins Tenor Banjo Foundations course. Shortly after posting the above, I found myself watching an interesting >15 minute discussion of 3-finger left-hand technique versus 4-finger left-hand technique. OAIM, I shall revise my assumptions.