Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Day Cometh

Smile Tax Day Cometh

Do you have to pay tax on a mandolin bought online out of state?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Tax Day Cometh

Depends on the state.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If you happen to live in California, then yes, you do. You have suppressed all information about yourself in your profile on the MC, so we can't advise you further unless you're willing to tell us more about you!

This article is a year old. More states may have been added. I doubt any went away.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Almost everything I buy out of state charges sales tax, though there are exceptions. I bought an Eastman MD505 from The Mandolin Store in January and they did not charge sales tax. However, my state, Indiana, has a line on my state income tax form where I am supposed to admit to any untaxed out of state purchases and pay any owed taxes. When I file 2021 taxes next year I will need to deal with that.

Some online vendors will state on their site "No sales tax for shipments outside of (the store's state). But, as I said above, Indiana doesn't think that lets me off the hook.

Oregon. No Sales Tax..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks everyone. i did get a mandolin from the Mandolin Store in Tennessee. I live in Wisconsin. I will have to figure that out then!

<spam posting>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Sep-27-2021 at 4:39pm.

Not sure about the US but in many countries if your income is below a certain amount then there can be exemptions. Maybe luxury items would have no exemptions.

You’d just have to convince the taxman that your mandolin is a life necessity...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Not sure about the US but in many countries if your income is below a certain amount then there can be exemptions. Maybe luxury items would have no exemptions.

You’d just have to convince the taxman that your mandolin is a life necessity...
    Sorry, but there are no exemptions in the U.S. states from sales tax if your income is below a given level.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Sorry, but there are no exemptions in the U.S. states from sales tax if your income is below a given level.
    As noted above, there are a very few states that have no sales tax. In my receiving state, I typically pay no sales tax on internet purchases but I would suspect the some states would tax those even if shipped elsewhere. It all depends.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMars View Post
    <spam posting removed>
    Did you join MC to espouse your politics? Moderator?
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Sep-27-2021 at 4:38pm.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

That makes sense, it would be very difficult to enforce.

Minstrelle, are you a diplomat? Or a member of a foreign mission? They list some States here too, it may be that these States are more lenient in some way.
    https://www.state.gov/sales-tax-exemption/

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

according to your question, the answer has always been, "Yes." Whether the retailer withheld it never meant one didn't, "Have," to, that is. . .

Now there is the big push to make the withholding mandated across the internet.

That's how I see it.

No, I never volunteered when it wasn't withheld.

Just how I've always understood the law.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

My understanding is that businesses of a certain size/income/transactions (something) are now required to withhold and send in the state sales tax. This happened last year when the big places like Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, et al, all started charging/adding/withholding sales tax, reporting and sending it to the states.

Some smaller operations are exempt, but it depends on your state whether you are required to report. I would assume in almost all cases you are supposed to, but doubtful if most do, because, at least historically, there was zero risk [i.e., in not reporting/paying it yourself]. I do not know if that is still the case. If you're paranoid, deal with places that withhold taxes. Maybe you can negotiate it out of the price. (Probably not in the current mandolin market, but worth an ask.) I'd might still lean toward a smaller place if it was a big ticket item, given a choice, but "big ticket item" is not a worry for me right now .
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Back in February I bought a 1916 Gibson A-4 via an online auction held in Virginia. Neither that state nor Florida, my state of residence, are on the list of states Mike provided. I was charged tax on this (and a buyer's premium as well, which is another matter - buyers, beware!). Perhaps I don't understand all this - entirely possible - but it has raised some doubts. PS: That list was updated 7/15/21, so it's current.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Back in February I bought a 1916 Gibson A-4 via an online auction held in Virginia. Neither that state nor Florida, my state of residence, are on the list of states Mike provided. I was charged tax on this (and a buyer's premium as well, which is another matter - buyers, beware!). Perhaps I don't understand all this - entirely possible - but it has raised some doubts. PS: That list was updated 7/15/21, so it's current.
    Did you have the mandolin held there in VA? If so then they would have to charge you VA state tax as the mandolin was not shipped out of state.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... Yes and no. I had them hold it at the auction house while I sorted out shipping arrangements, ended up being about a week. Settled on UPS. But the tax appeared on the invoice, which was generated the day after the auction.So I dunno ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hmmm ... Yes and no. I had them hold it at the auction house while I sorted out shipping arrangements, ended up being about a week. Settled on UPS. But the tax appeared on the invoice, which was generated the day after the auction.So I dunno ...
    There’s your problem, if it wasn’t set up as an out-of-state shipment at the time of sale than it carries in-state obligations.

Blog Entries

You sure? I think it was explained to me at the time that since the transaction took place in VA, I had to pay VA sales tax. It may have been an online auction, but it wasn't the same as an online purchase. I dunno. This might not be the same as what the OP asked about, and we may be muddying the waters.

To be clear, I'm not complaining, even though the tax and buyer's premium added nearly 1/4 to the amount of my winning bid. So the final price wasn't quite as much of a bargain as I'd believed at the time. Still, I'm glad to have such a fine instrument in my entourage.

You sure? I think it was explained to me at the time that since the transaction took place in VA, I had to pay VA sales tax. It may have been an online auction, but it wasn't the same as an online purchase. I dunno. This might not be the same as what the OP asked about, and we may be muddying the waters.

To be clear, I'm not complaining, even though the tax and buyer's premium added nearly 1/4 to the amount of my winning bid. So the final price wasn't quite as much of a bargain as I'd believed at the time. Still, I'm glad to have such a fine instrument in my entourage.
    Yeah, I’m sure. Buying online and picking it up in the same state or having it shipped to the same state triggers automatic state tax. Just like buying something in person. Buying online and having it sent out of state puts that responsibility on you, in most cases, though that is changing now in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrelle View Post
    Do you have to pay tax on a mandolin bought online out of state?
    It generally depends on where it’s delivered. We live in a non sales tax state so we don’t pay sales tax when I order something delivered to my address, when we ship something to my MIL who lives in a state that does charge tax we have to pay.

There have been occasions when we are on vacation and buy something. If we have it shipped home we don’t pay sales tax.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrelle View Post
    Thanks everyone. i did get a mandolin from the Mandolin Store in Tennessee. I live in Wisconsin. I will have to figure that out then!
    In Wisconsin if you don't pay sales tax on something you are supposed to play use tax when you file your income tax. Most people don't, and I don't think it is enforced that much, but it is the law.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Due to the US Supreme Court decision in South Dakota vs Wayfair, Inc. in 2018 more retailers are now legally required to collect tax on interstate sales than before the decision. Earlier federal case law dictated a different and more narrow definition of "nexus", a state's legal authority to impose taxes in light of the Commerce Clause in the US Constitution (which is the ultimate US law on interstate commerce). I won't bore you with the details but that is the end result. There are a lot of other variables, too, including whether or not a particular state changed its tax law(s) in light of the Wayfair decision and what each particular state's other sales and use tax laws are. In any case, the lack of taxing jurisdiction on a retailer resulting in a non-taxable transaction in interstate commerce is not a legal excuse for the purchaser to not pay the tax altogether on an otherwise taxable transaction. To the best of my (admittedly incomplete) knowledge, that is a purchaser's use tax obligation in every US state with sales and use tax laws on the books.

It is impossible for me to be more specific due to the variability of sales/use tax laws from state to state and my lack of knowledge about each particular state's laws. Google "South Dakota vs Wayfair" for more information than you probably ever wanted about it. I would provide a link but am forbidden from favoring any for profit tax practitioner over another.

Disclosure: I am a professional tax law administrator for a state taxing agency in the US. I am not representing my employer here. I just happen to have had regular updates while this case worked its way through the legal system and after the ultimate court decision.

25. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

What happens if sales tax on out-of-state internet purchases is collected on income tax returns, and the individual's income falls below the minimum required to file an income tax return?
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.