Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

So sad to hear. We have lost too many musicians in the last year.
    The first time I met Peter, he sang a couple of Hank William's songs for me. Completely in Ukrainian. Later that day I ate Red Borscht soup for the first time.
    In addition to all his great music & playing, I will never forget that.
    A great Musician A great human being
    Larry Sledge

2. The following members say thank you to LGS for this post:

Peter's mandolin playing was foundational for me when I was learning mandolin. His later soundtrack music for Ken Burns and others remains atop my listening/playing along list.

A fond remembrance:

I'll never forget playing "Tico Tico" at the Cuyahoga Valley Folk Festival, back in the 90's, with a group of folks around a tree... All of a sudden I hear a mandolin playing perfect harmony in 3rds and 6ths above my melody. I turned to see who it was and it was Peter! We played a few more tunes together and then he had to go play a set. We shook hands and he said "Damn! That was fun!" with that big smile.

I recorded a little tribute this morning of "Heart of the Heartland."

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brian Ebie For This Useful Post:

Hearing Peter Ostroushko on Prairie Home is one of my first memories as a beginning mandolin player. My wife's family know the Ostroushkos as she grew up in the Twin Cities. Yesterday she recalled that hearing Peter play at a Christmas concert was her first experience with the mandolin. We talked about his music a lot when we first started dating and he continues to be one of our biggest inspirations due to his artistry, humility, and connection to his roots. Thank you, Peter and I wrote this song for you today:
    Last edited by HarrisonMandolin; Feb-26-2021 at 3:54pm. Reason: grammar

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HarrisonMandolin For This Useful Post:

Another "original" gone.

RIP Peter

So sad, a nice guy and excellent musician. He will be missed. I will be listening to his music in the days to come.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

RIP. I saw him in concert once at a small venue in St. Louis. His playing was beautiful and inspiring. I went up and talked to him afterwards. We chatted about the A-4 he was playing, which was made by violin maker Peter White in New Mexico. Of course, he later had A-4 made for him by Gavin Baird. It was a very memorable evening.

R.I.P. Peter. Please know that your musical gifts and kindness have meant a lot to those of all over the country. As we all continue to play the mandolin, we will think of you and all of those who created such wonderful tone, rhythm and music. Doug

Peter was a wonderful musician and human being; I am very grateful I got to know him a bit. He was one of my very first big mandolin influences, along with the Dawg. My wife Susie and I got to meet him through some of the great folks that were part of the Old Songs Festival/GottaGetGone musical community out around the Albany/Schenectady area. Susie and I had the great good fortune to stay with him and share Thanksgiving with his whole family when we were on one of our early tours to the midwest in the late 80s/early 90s, a most gracious host! Later I had the very good fortune of subbing for Dean Magraw on a New England tour (man, talk about some big galoshes to fill!). We would go for miles and miles in the car without saying anything, then he'd be off on one of his great stories. I feel extremely privileged to have gotten to share music with one of my musical heroes in this way, but also to get to know him and his family a bit. Lovely folks one and all, and they were so gracious and generous to us. The last time I saw him was a number of years ago when he came and graced our March Mandolin Festival with his presence. Of course he played beautifully; he also told a 15-minute rambling tale of a trip to Ireland in a "20-minute" set. Clearly a long-form kind of player!

Both Susie and I have been saddened to hear of his health troubles in recent years. I can only imagine how hard this must have been for someone for whom music is such a big part of life, yet it seems that he was handling it with grace, much like the graceful qualities exhibited in his playing and composing. Hopefully he is now at peace, and we both wish peace and love to his family. I listened to the Original Underground Music From the Mysterious South album yesterday in the car, and Peter is such a big part of that record. Hopefully he's playing in a big ol' heavenly mandolin orchestra now, where no one ever goes out of tune!

12. The following members say thank you to David Surette for this post:

Garrison Keillor has posted a great tribute to Peter on his website. Lots of stories of the Prairie Home Companion days, video clips, and good photos of Peter. Check it out here: https://www.garrisonkeillor.com/peter-ostroushko/

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Ebie For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

This arrived from Garrison Keiler. My accordion partner and I play his "Vola Palumba"! It is my favorite piece by Peter. So much talent..it is sad he succumbed to his long term illness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vpd_ZscM0 Here I'm performing "Vola, Palumba" as a solo. RIP, Peter!

Peter Ostroushko: Living in Wonderful Memories and in his Music Forever

From his Prairie Home family
    Peter picked up his dad’s mandolin when he was a child and that was the start. Soon he could play fiddle or guitar, too. He was a teenager in high school when he knocked on Rudy Darling’s door and said he lived a few houses away and heard Rudy playing as he was walking by and could they get together sometime and play. So they did. He played some with Rudy’s band, the Middle Spunk Creek Boys, and then with Dakota Dave Hull, the Powdermilk Biscuit Band, the New Prairie Ramblers, the Mando Boys, Robin and Linda Williams. He had the chops and he had the heart. He could sight-read at tempo. He was always focused on the tune and his instrument, never seemed to be out to impress anyone. He was a composer and an improviser. Once, in Ashland, he walked onstage with the Spunks and stumbled and fell, carrying a borrowed Gibson mandolin, tucked it into his body, curled up, did a somersault, got to his feet, mandolin unharmed. He grew up on Ukrainian cooking and came to love barbecue, and looked for BBQ joints near the venues he played — “No pig, no gig,” said Peter. He liked fried egg and pickle sandwiches. He met Marge and they lived in a house on Nicollet Island, upstairs from guitarist Tim Hennessy, who called him “Mr. Buddy,” and they played swing, Irish fiddle tunes, bluegrass, and Peter’s compositions...
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)