Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Peter would always 'think first and then say something'. Often we would not say anything for quite a while, ha, ha. We had kind of a strange friendship that way. We never talked about music, only that it was all in a day's work. He was particularly remarkable at a mandolin workshop for the CMSA (classical mandolin society of America) where he said nothing for 10 minutes in front of about 60 students. Some people stuck their head in the door, saw no activity and left, others packed up and left the room. Then he spoke. He said, 'I was waiting for the people who really want to participate, and the others to leave.' He then asked for requests. He got about 10 diverse requests from the Beatles tunes to one's he'd recorded and then played them all without ANY help in remembering the requests.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

I remember the workshop that DougC mentions at the CMSA in Minneapolis and it was a great one. My memory is that we got him to talk a little about the preparation for and recording of the Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South album with Norman and Nancy (to my mind one of the greatest mandolin orchestra/ensemble recordings ever). He was very modest about it but it was clear that he played a major role in making that recording the milestone that it is.

Later that day, or the next, I was privileged to sit for an hour or so and play tunes with Peter in the vendor area while the big orchestra was rehearsing nearby. We had met a couple of times before over the years but I don't think he remembered me. It was just a nice time playing some tunes and Peter was very gracious with tolerating my limitations. At one point I put one of Dave Cohen's oval hole mandolins in his hands (I asked Dave's permission first) and Peter loved it right away. When we were done he handed it back to Dave with some highly complimentary comments. Very complimentary.

Peter had a huge, positive influence on every acoustic musician I met when I moved to Iowa in the early 90s. But then he was a big deal to most of the musicians I knew back in the Louisville area before that as well. I got to see him play lots of times but I'll always regret that I missed him with the Mando Boys at a Kentucky Fried Chicken Bluegrass Festival sometime around 1980. I was just "too busy" that day. I suppose there's a lesson in that.

Thanks, Peter, for all of the music and the joy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

A huge loss to the mandolin community, and one of my biggest influences. I still have my autographed vinyl copy of Sluz Duz -- great stuff! I think I'll put on Blue Mesa today.
    Too many instruments...too little time

6. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post:

Like those above, I too loved the playing of Peter and enjoyed the several times I could interact with him. Eg. the workshop at the Classical Mandolin convention, mentioned by Doug and John. Years ago when my grandson, Ravi, (now 14) was 2 1/2, we were watching a Mr. Rogers video and Peter came on! I asked Ravi and his mom to be quiet so we could watch it. I loved that...amd .I imagine it's on Y-T. I ended up buying that video and have watched it a lot and shared with friends.
    A wonderful musician AND person.

8. The following members say thank you to Nick Royal for this post:

It's Sad Day. One of our good ones has passed. Thank you Peter for all you've given. A shining light in the mando world. Beautiful tunes. Beautiful tones. He opened up many doors with that great big heart, those fabulous musical skills and that amazing sense of humor. RIP Brother

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Marshall For This Useful Post:

I’m saddened to hear of Peter’s passing. His tremolo never fails to touch my emotions as if it is a human voice.

12. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

GREAT musician........... nicer person!
    We lost a good one......... so sad.

14. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

I just now heard the news. I took mandolin lessons from him for seven and a half years before the stroke ended his playing. He was my teacher, my mentor, and my friend. We saw eye-to-eye (ear-to-ear?) on most mando music, and he filled me up with so many wonderful tunes.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerrymartin For This Useful Post:

This was the last tune of his I played on my radio show...gives me a smile every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J23v7HqsiYo

I too am very saddened to receive this news. Peter was a master musician and a gentle soul. Rest in peace.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

Yes a Very very sad loss. He was a sweet soul. We will miss his muse. Thank you Peter for every note.

Well nuts. I'm sad. Just got the news from Hans Brentrup. Known Peter since the mid '70s, though haven't seen him much recently, being 2,000 miles away now. Last time was a number of years ago... surprise drop-in visit while I was in town. Caught him at his kitchen table peeling the little skins off grapefruit sections. I talked, he peeled. What a great guy. Bummed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg9b...iA4dkykNWLyfVR

One of the best. The linked video is a great rendition of "Russian Rag" with the Modern Mandolin Quartet, joined by Sam Bush and Peter.

23. The following members say thank you to Gotterdamerung for this post:

Very sad to hear. He made a significant contribution. Playing “The Orthodox Priest” in his honor.
    Ellis A5 Tradition, Red Diamond F5, Duff F5, D35, Gliga violin.
    http://www.michaelromkey.com
    http://www.bucktownrevue.com

He made me want to play the mandolin, and then later he helped show me how. Listening back tonight, i'm in awe once again at his depth and breadth. He could play every style!! and bring musicality and personality to it! and still always communicate that one should sound like themself.

the tremolo!!!!! and the commitment to leaving space. such an inspiring player.
    Mandolin Instructor
    Berklee College of Music

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Walsh For This Useful Post:

We lost a great one. So sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Very sad news. Peter was one of my all-time favorite mandolin players to listen to. To me, his tremolo and tone on this live recording of Heart of the Heartland says it all and it leaves me speechless every time I hear it. RIP

https://youtu.be/YgJn2F6lMcM

Alan Epstein

Sad day. I remember when I heard Peter play 'Heart of the Heartland' on Prairie Home Companion, I knew, right then, that I wanted to play the mandolin. God bless you Peter, for your inspiration, and may our memory of you live on forever. We are blessed to have lived on this earth with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJn2F6lMcM

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Sad day. I remember when I heard Peter play 'Heart of the Heartland' on Prairie Home Companion, I knew, right then, that I wanted to play the mandolin. God bless you Peter, for your inspiration, and may our memory of you live on forever. We are blessed to have lived on this earth with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJn2F6lMcM
    Talk about someone who could show that it's not just what notes you play, but how you play them!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Blog Entries

"Everyone is part of the deal" - That's one of his themes; everyone is included. Peter would have everyone crying at the Prairie Home Companion show because they were invited to sing "You are My Sunshine". He was a great story teller and he shared this theme again in this video.

Remember, friends what he says here.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

I will be paying tribute to Peter on my radio show today (friday feb 26th 2021) on WTJU Charlottesville, VA, USA. The show will be a very mando-centric show, with new material also from Andrew Marling and Ethan Setiawan, and some Brazilian bandolim players who haven’t yet been mentioned on the Cafe forum. The show airs 4-6pm US EDT on https://www.wtju.net/

RIP, Peter.

Pete

35. The following members say thank you to Mando Mafia for this post:

If you love mandolins (and let's face it, don't we all?) I recommend going back and listening to the live Mando Boys recording "Holstein Lust". Powerful playing and stellar arrangements. I have this recording on heavy rotation out in my shop, and the Joplin numbers are especially impressive.

I got to see The Boys play live at a small bar near here, and the terrific playing combined with the uproarious comedy act that went with it made a truly notable evening. Yes, they all were wearing a Fez.

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

The StarTribune had a nice article about Peter this morning.

https://www.startribune.com/peter-os...ies/600027280/
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    "Everyone is part of the deal" - That's one of his themes; everyone is included. Peter would have everyone crying at the Prairie Home Companion show because they were invited to sing "You are My Sunshine". He was a great story teller and he shared this theme again in this video.

Remember, friends what he says here.

A totally captivating storyteller as well as a musician. RIP Peter.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic