Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Default Peter Ostroushko Passes

From his Facebook page

A note from Peter’s daughter:
    It is with such profound sadness that I share with you that my father Peter passed away this afternoon due to severe heart failure. We have never known a better guy. Please listen to or play some music tonight in his honor. We thank you for respecting our privacy during this time, and are so grateful for your support.

He was a true musician’s musician. Meeting On Southern Soil with Norman Blake is an all time favorite mandolin album. Rest In Peace Peter.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

There goes my hero
    Pete was big influence of mine, saw him play many times, he was very down to earth, loved all the diversity he brought to acoustic music
    I still listen to Sluz Duz and The Mando boys and Pete and Dean, his music will be played!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

It is a sad day.

I'm so sorry to read this.

I knew him only through his recordings. A real loss. A beautiful musician.

Really sorry to hear this. I know that Peter had been having trouble since he had a stroke a few years ago, but he was still a young guy (by my standards).

I took a great workshop from him a decade or so ago at the Mandolin Symposium, covering Norman Blake's Original Underground Music from the Original South, on which he played the mandolin and Blake played guitar. At his evening concert that year, he did a stunning version of "Girl from the North Country," backed up by the Duo (Marshall and Anger).

"All the diversity he brought to acoustic music" is best shown on his 3-CD set The Mando Chronicles. It gives quite a broad tour of mando music, all joyfully done.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

So sorry. Peter hung out with us in Elkins, WV at the Augusta Music Festival. It was his inspiration that peaked my interest in mandolin. Though, it was several years later before I actually begun to learn mandolin.
    My mother-in-law was staying in a co-Ed dormitory unaware it was co-Ed. It took her quite awhile to get over meeting with a naked Peter in the shower.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Teacher, repair person

Oh no . . .

Sad news.

In the late 90s I was able to attend a weekend camp where he taught us Trippin up the Stairs and Monkey on a Dog cart. He was a great teacher, very fun to be around and a stellar musician. His jig The Orthodox Priest should be a session standard. I'm listening to Blue Mesa now.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Great story teller. Great musician. RIP
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Blog Entries

sorry if this seems self-serving but I wrote this over last weekend and had posted it today, finding out tonite that Peter had passed today. Sad and synchronous. He was a major influence for me. He'd been on my radar since his stroke and I'd been listening to his podcasts, so was inspired to write this tune as an homage to him. https://soundcloud.com/brucewhoneyma...Rn7Vo2r4jhBc-M

This is very sad. Used to see him around the Twin Cities as he and Dean were regulars playing in office buildings during the holiday season once upon a time. Was fortunate to catch the performance he and Norman Blake did after A Prairie Home Companion to promote A Meeting on Southern Soil. Lastly, a few years ago was lucky enough to play guitar behind Peter and another friend when he turned 100. Through all of it he was kind and willing to help make the music better.

A huge loss for the music community.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

15. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

RIP Peter

Blog Entries

Godspeed, Peter. That was a lot of great music you made and left for us. Thank you.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Dang. Sad news and sorry to learn of his passing. I began learning Sacred Heart this past week. Had though of emailing Pete to purchase sheet music. He will be missed tremendously in the mandolin world.
    J.Lane Pryce

This is so sad - he was such a wonderful soulful musician.

Sad news indeed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Peter could play anything on the mandolin(also fiddle and guitar)and play it at master level. He did an awful lot to showcase and popularize the mandolin, his versatility and virtuosity showing us the possibilities. Great composer and collaborator. The list of world-class musicians who requested and enjoyed his musical contributions is long and includes several all-time greats...Chet Atkins, Norman Blake, Bob Dylan, Jethro Burns, Johnny Gimble, just naming a few. When I spoke to Peter last year about this time regarding the 100th anniversary of Jethro's birthday, he told me he was beginning to prepare archive recordings from his 40 years on the air for release. At this time they are available in podcast form. As he heard the recordings himself(often for the first time since the original performances)he was reminded of their greatness and justifiably and understandably motivated and proud to present them. They are a great addition to his recorded legacy of beautiful music.

Peter was also an engaging entertainer, often (for lack of a better term) funny as hell. The memory that came to mind last night upon hearing the sad news was a happy memory. At Brian Oberlin's River of the West camp we had a particularly fulfilling day of teaching, jamming, performing...the 3 of us were left at probably 3AM, still processing the day's activities. We wound up laughing until it hurt. I'm grateful for all the times I was fortunate enough to be around Peter and experience his deep musicality and personality. As Jethro might say "So great!" and as Johnny Gimble might say "the best of the best"...

Thanks again Peter, love you

23. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ted Heinonen

This was sad news to hear this morning. Peter was incredibly gifted on the mandolin as well as the fiddle. I was lucky to have taught a number of mandolin workshops with him at various festivals in the past and he was always generous with beginners and you never left without learning something fun or a story or two. I first heard him during my art college days on the West Bank where he'd pick with Dakota Dave Hull or the short time he was with the Middlespunk Creek Boys. My favorite times listening was when he toured with Robin and Linda Williams... he wrote a charming song called "Red Dancing Shoes" that Robin and Linda put to life and Peter would relate it to his Ukrainian up bringing and his dad. I wish Marge and his family sincere condolences, he will be missed by all.

"Make 'em strong, make 'em light you can make 'em just right then she'll dance with me all night. Papa won't you make her a brand new pair of shoes"
    Last edited by theinone; Feb-25-2021 at 10:51am.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theinone For This Useful Post:

this takes you to the Discography and Podcast page on Peter's site

https://www.peterostroushko.com/?fbc..._ll0fPuPEF-GBQ

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Ugh. Strangely I ordered his Mandolin Chronicles the day before last. What a loss to the musical world.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

So saddened by this news. Peter was a true gem, and an inspiration to all of us.

I first heard Peter on the old PHC radio show, back in the early days when it had lots of local Minnesota talent. Through those times, Sluz Duz, Mando Boys, Buddies of Swing. Truly an artist.

Godspeed, Peter. You leave the world a sadder, but better, place because of your being here.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Here's a fitting tribute to him in his hometown paper:
    https://www.startribune.com/peter-os...ies/600027280/

Peter was a big influence on Mando Mafia...we played a number of pieces from his repertoire, and even opened for him one time. He was a great player, and will be sadly missed.

Pete

Listening to Marjorie's Waltz #3 right now and raising a demitasse of espresso to Mr. Ostroushko. May have to make borscht later. His music has always meant so much to me (and will continue to do so) and I've always heavily related to his love of vegetable gardening. The world's a better place for having his music in it.

Chris

I've very much enjoyed listening to Peter's podcast. I dug up a profile I wrote of him for Mandozine in 1996.

http://web.archive.org/web/199702021...stroushko.html

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelhai For This Useful Post: