Thread: Best Eastman years? Newer or older?

Default Best Eastman years? Newer or older?

I'm getting ready to purchase a Eastman and have read some older threads that say they have came a long way. Let's I'm looking at a used 2011 vs a 2019 Md815 which would be better to get? Thx

Default Re: Best Eastman years? Newer or older?

I know some of the Kentuckys I have played the newer ones have been stellar.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

And some of the original Japanese Kentucky's are amazing. I usually go with an older instrument purchase. An instrument that has help up to being played is evidence that it is well made. The playing ages the wood in a positive manner also IMO. The used instrument is also generally less expensive unless we are talking about something fifty or more years old. Lastly playing an instrument is always the best way to decide as your ears and your style and touch are the ones that make the decision. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    And some of the original Japanese Kentucky's are amazing. I usually go with an older instrument purchase. An instrument that has help up to being played is evidence that it is well made. The playing ages the wood in a positive manner also IMO. The used instrument is also generally less expensive unless we are talking about something fifty or more years old. Lastly playing an instrument is always the best way to decide as your ears and your style and touch are the ones that make the decision. Luck... R/
    Yes sir I definitely agree with you on the used and older wood. I love vintage Martin's and Gibson banjos. Far as the Eastman goes I've just read some of the older ones was hit it miss on getting a good one. I know Kentucky has stepped up thier game on thier Master models lately. I seem to prefer the neck on the Eastman is why I'm asking about them.

Forgot to mention I'm looking at both used a 2011 & 2019 Md815

From previous threads on here and comments elsewhere, my impression is that the earlier Eastmans had a problem with the finish being applied to heavily. The newer ones are better overall. I have an 2016 815v and love it.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    From previous threads on here and comments elsewhere, my impression is that the earlier Eastmans had a problem with the finish being applied to heavily. The newer ones are better overall. I have an 2016 815v and love it.
    I have a 10 year old Eastman 615 that has an incredibly thin and delicate finish...so I'm not sure that's true, or at least, wasn't by then.

Thanks everyone for the info so far. . I took a chance on the 2011 Md815v
    The best Eastman I've owned was a 2011 Md515