Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Cafe Members in Northern Virginia?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Café Members in Northern Virginia?

So, because of overwhelming interest, and my own interest in keeping those interested informed, it behooves me to do so by saying that I'm having her shipped via UPS with the local UPS store guy handling it. We confirmed all the arrangements this morning, and she is all packed and entered into the system, shipping to commence today, with an arrival date estimated for Friday. Packing inside the case involved judicious use of what he called "dish foam," so that it is firmly held in place without overstuffing, putting pressure on either the instrument or the case - which he said was in surprisingly good condition, so that's another plus. The case is inside a couple of plastic bags, and then packed tightly into a cardboard box, with at least an inch of packing around the case on all sides. It all sounds reasonable and responsible, and is even perhaps better than I would have done myself - if that's any standard. It may be a bit pricy, but I figure it's good to have it done by a professional with experience, and also to have it be accountable every step of the way. Lastly, I decided it wouldn't have been fair to burden a Café member with bearing the responsibility in case of anything untoward occurring - knock on wood.

So let the nail-biting commence!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Café Members in Northern Virginia?

I was wondering, though ... Should I use lighter strings than usual? I've always used D'Addario 74s ever since ever, even on my plain As of the same vintage. I've used light strings on my electrics to enable bending, but I understand light strings don't project as much. (Not an issue with electrics.) I haven't noticed any damage like top sinkage. The hazardous conditions have been produced by the user, not the strings, as far as I can tell. I'll see what's on it. But I do want to take a bit more care with this one, and want to be sure. I wish I could get even a little history about it.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Any Cafe Members in Northern Virginia?

Correct my if I'm wrong but my understanding is that a UPS store is a franchisee. Not to say they aren't good but I'm not sure who's liable for damage, the store or the actual carrier UPS. I don't have an answer for you.
    I sincerely hope all works out well JB. Not sure if that Gremlin of yours could have made that round trip!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

Not sure about the legal hairsplitting between UPS and UPS stores. Hope I don't have to.

The Gremlins were the 80s, sir. Ancient history. That said, remember, the Mustard Custard did make it all the way out west and back, including Chaco Canyon. So mostly highway miles up and down the Eastern Seaboard would be a walk in the park. These days it's a Chevy van, which has already made the trip up and back with no problem. No worries on that score.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My paddle head has been on mediums for decades. Never tried lights on her.

Last set were actually the 74cm's, which have a touch heavier A and E strings.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

I've always gone with the J-74 mediums, myself. It's probably because they were the first I saw from D'Addario in the early 70s. They had a mock sticker on them that said, "David Grisman picks these strings." That was good enough for me. I liked them, being a vast improvement over the only local option, Black Diamonds, and I've stuck with them ever since. I used to hitchhike 100 miles from where I was going to school in Wisconsin to Chicago and go to Wurlitzer's to get them. That was a thrill, a music emporium like no other, seven floors of all manner of music. Now, of course, we have internet orders sent by mail. Much more convenient.

I just want to treat my new baby gently, that's all. BTW, she passed through Richmond overnight.

Blog Entries

Well, she arrived today, in great shape. Survived the drive just fine. She's seen some wear over the years, but looks and sounds very nice indeed.

All the fretting and pestering and making sure of everything I could paid off. I believe this thread has run its course. Time for a new one.

I'll see about some new photos ... tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02242021-1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	192733

Beautiful. I love that cherry finish.

Congratulations.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

9. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post: