Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Cafe Members in Northern Virginia?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Any Cafe Members in Northern Virginia?

I hope someone in the general vicinity of Harrisonburg VA can help me out.

I successfully bid on a bee-yootiful 1916 Gibson A-4 mandolin during an online auction last night. The auction house is located in a small town just off I-81 between Harrisonburg and Staunton, closer to Harrisonburg. They say that there is shipping available at the local UPS store. While that's all good and well, I don't know how much experience they have in packing and shipping 104-year-old antique instruments. I also need to do a cost-and-benefit analysis regarding shipping via UPS or USPS.

I wonder whether any members live near there and would be willing to go over there, pick it up (it's in a HSC), pack it and ship it as responsibly as only a Café member can. It would be a great load off my mind to know she'll be safe in transit. And of course I will take care of you for your time, effort, and materials and costs. We can chat about this and related matters here, but serious discussions will have to be conducted via PM.

Thanks!

And here is what I'm talking about ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132864654_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	192304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132864658_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	192305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132864885_750x473_1000000000_CENTER_FFFFFF.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	192306
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Any Café Members in Northern Virginia?

There is a guy on Youtube that goes by "The Guitar Hunter". His name is Jeremy Sheppard. He lives near Staunton and has shipped a lot of guitars over the years. I can't find an email address for him, but he is on Facebook as "jeremytheguitarhunter". Also on Twitter and Instagram with the same name as Facebook. I would think that he would be willing to help if you reached out to him. Best of luck, that's a nice looking mando.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

You might check with these guys. They might know someone who can help you out.
    http://www.fairbuilt.com/
    (I went to JMU in Harrisonburg. Just reading the place names in your post brought back a bunch of memories!)

Another thought. Huss and Dalton guitars is in Staunton. Someone from there might be willing to help out.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Have to run down these leads, see what happens. Haven't heard from that UPS store yet. Hope those were good memories there, sunburst.

And yes, she sure looks nice. She's a perfect match for my H-2 mandola - same year, same finish. Never thought I'd see the day I'd own such a pair.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well, I heard back from the UPS guy. All told - pickup, packing, and shipping - I'm looking at about $100, which is pretty much what I figured. I doubt jeremytheguitarhunter can compete with that.

Insurance is going to be a bit more on top. I think that's best. Plus there have already been some added fees along the way - something called a "buyer's premium" of 17% added to online/mobie app bidders' costs, and VA sales tax of 5.3% - which bumped up the cost considerably. Somehow I skipped right past that premium in the terms. So with all that, plus UPS, I'm looking at something closer to what it would cost in a brick-and-mortar store. Still a good bit less than what's in the classifieds, but not the outstanding deal I'd thought I had, the one where I'd gotten it for less than the opening bid for a couple of plain A's currently on eBay. Oh well! It's only money. What was I gonna do, pay rent? Drive up there and get it? Hey, waitaminnit. Hmmm ... Let's see ... 2300 mi round trip, 20 mpg, ~$2.25/g average ... Yeah, I guess not.

Though actually, if I were to have them hold onto it until spring/summer when I take a trip up north, for $5/week, and I pick it up in person ... hmmm ...

So do you feel like the UPS folks are going to do a good job of packing? We've heard before here that insurance often isn't worth a hill of beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    So do you feel like the UPS folks are going to do a good job of packing? We've heard before here that insurance often isn't worth a hill of beans.
    And you are correct. On all asked.
    From my experience, the packing was terrible, damaged upon arrival. And they had some in house underwriter telling me what they could not see. For replacement value. They argued the whole thing then had the nerve to say the UPS stores are not affiliated with UPS .

You might check with someone else. I needed to ship one last spring, and the UPS store was about 1.5x higher than a private company.

Blog Entries

The guy seemed very knowledgeable and experienced. He's worked with the auction house a lot, so he would have to know his stuff. Plus he's a guitarist himself, so he knows about this stuff. That said, there's still the possibility of them being in cahoots.

I've got to admit, the notion of having them hold it until I travel up north in spring/summer has considerable appeal. I just haven't committed to doing that yet. I'm having a little talk with myself right now.

And Louise - that's the whole reason I started this thread. But I don't know anyone in that area. Take a look at Jeremy. Would you trust him with a sweet instrument like this? It's the packing as well as the shipping, even more so. And so far, no member has stepped up.

That said, UPS is a shipping company, and they should know what they're doing. Even if a member packs it, it's still going to have to be shipped. Is anyone truly better than UPS? Pretty sure USPS is cheaper, but their reputation has taken a beating lately.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...Hope those were good memories there, sunburst.
    Some of the best years of my life!

Don't know how I forgot about Huss and Dalton, I worked with both of those guys back in our "factory" days. It wouldn't hurt to ask (just don't mention my name ).

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    The guy seemed very knowledgeable and experienced. He's worked with the auction house a lot, so he would have to know his stuff. Plus he's a guitarist himself, so he knows about this stuff. That said, there's still the possibility of them being in cahoots.

I've got to admit, the notion of having them hold it until I travel up north in spring/summer has considerable appeal. I just haven't committed to doing that yet. I'm having a little talk with myself right now.

And Louise - that's the whole reason I started this thread. But I don't know anyone in that area. Take a look at Jeremy. Would you trust him with a sweet instrument like this? It's the packing as well as the shipping, even more so. And so far, no member has stepped up.

That said, UPS is a shipping company, and they should know what they're doing. Even if a member packs it, it's still going to have to be shipped. Is anyone truly better than UPS? Pretty sure USPS is cheaper, but their reputation has taken a beating lately.
    I can't think of too much that sounds more fun than a road trip with a new mandolin at the end of it

Blog Entries

Yeah, after further consideration, I'm having the auction house hold onto it until I can pick it up in the spring or summer. I'm just not in any hurry to get it, and would much rather go with the better safe than sorry route.

Actually, Sue, this would be in the middle of the trip, not the end. At the end - well, midpoint in terms of round trip, but the northern terminus - there are already two mandolins there, which should be ready to be picked up from my luthier at that point, after a year in the shop. Then I'd be dropping off my current player (one of the pickups is my other player) and also showing my guy this beauty, which will be fun.

What am I doing with so many mandolins? Not really sure. Maybe I caught MAS from one or another of you guys! But the thing is, I live rather far within my means, and don't spend much money on much of anything else. So living frugally allows me to afford a few nice things now and then. In a way, they're paid for by being non-extravagant most of the time. It balances out.

Don't worry John, your secret is safe with me - especially because I don't know what it is!

Here's a thought. Instead of driving all the way up to VA, take the AutoTrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA. Amtrak is running a special fare right now for $89 one way. I've done it once before, not much scenery, but less stressful than driving 2300 miles. It should include meals and sleeping cabin because it is an overnight trip.

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... AutoTrain. That's where you take your car on the train, too? Never done that. I wonder ... I did a two-week rail pass a few years ago, to go up for a family reunion and other things. It had its pluses and minuses - for instance, to visit friends in Nashville I had to get off in Atlanta, rent a car, and drive five hours each way, because Amtrak does not go to the capitol of Tennessee, the Music Capitol of the World! - but I got pretty good at arranging things along the way as I went. And it wasn't much more than renting a car plus driving costs. Though now I have a vehicle, and would be sleeping in the van. Still, if that first leg of the trip were about the same cost as driving, why not? I love trains.

PS: That 2300 mile figure is just my computation for driving up to get the A-4 and back. That goes by the wayside if I couple this mission with the escape-the-heat road trip, because I would be picking it up en passant.

Blog Entries

You know, that cost is really not much more than gas costs. It doesn't take into account that I would have to backtrack ~130 miles to go to the auction house, but still ... riding in comfort for over 700 miles out of an 1800 mile trip up is worth considering. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I used to live in Elkton just 15 minutes East of Harrisonburg and about 30 minutes North of Stanton. When I drove to my hometown in Lynchburg, I would go though Sunbursts town of Lovingston when he was there. Alas, that was last in 1999. Just for giggles, if you're gonna be there in the summer and have a car. Make a side Trip to Yogaville, visit the Temple of the Lotus for some inspiration.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

I remember going to something like that a gazillion years ago when it was nearing completion. When would that have been? Late 70s? Same time as the Rainbow Gathering in WV? Must investigate ...

You realize I'm timing my trip to coincide with musical adventures in the Northeast, like Philly. Anyone extraordinary in the pipeline for booking this year? Too soon or hush-hush? Can they lure Arlo out of retirement one ... last ... time?

Rather than the auction house, I'm sure one of our fine members in Northern Virginia could be persuaded to babysit for a few months.

Blog Entries

Well, that would be fine with me, too. Anyone? Doesn't have to be northern VA. Someone closer to I-95?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Here's a thought. Instead of driving all the way up to VA, take the AutoTrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA. Amtrak is running a special fare right now for $89 one way. I've done it once before, not much scenery, but less stressful than driving 2300 miles. It should include meals and sleeping cabin because it is an overnight trip.
    OK, the Amtrak website is being clunkier than usual, but here's what I'm finding:

1) Yes, it says $89, But when I initiate booking, I get $115.
    2) It also says "plus the cost of the car," but it doesn't tell me what that is.
    3) This is coach. Rooms cost hundreds of dollars.
    4) I seriously doubt meals are included. It's train travel, not airplane, which requires meals be served after length requirements are met.
    5) No senior discount.

So it looks like that $89 isn't real, and even if it were, it isn't all-inclusive.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Niles Hokkannan lives in Winchester? He's a member.

How exciting Steve!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

If you insure it for a substantial amount UPS will bury it in a nest of bubble wrap and it will arrive in perfect condition. I've shipped guitars with them. Four mandolins from England arrived at my house in perfect condition, via a mix of shippers.

Temperature wont't be an issue, due to the season and the substantial insulation bubble wrap provides.

Edited to add: The seller needs to add a few foam blocks or similar to prevent rattling inside a case, if that is included.
    Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar-01-2021 at 8:43am.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    If you insure it for a substantial amount UPS will bury it in a nest of bubble wrap and it will arrive in perfect condition. I've shipped guitars with them. Four mandolins from England arrived at my house in perfect condition, via a mix of shippers.

Temperature wont't be an issue, due to the season and the substantial insulation bubble wrap provides.

Edited to add: The seller needs to add a few foam blocks or similar to prevent rattling inside a case, if that is included.
    Thanks, Tom. I've fielded a couple of offers from members - thanks very kindly - and while I am still on the fence, I'm leaning toward shipping it. As much as the notion of driving by and picking it up on my way north for a summer vacation/road trip/festival-going extravaganza is charming (and cost-saving), it brings with it its own set of drawbacks. First and foremost, I would be doing this during July and August, the hottest time of the year. Now, I'm sure I could leave it at my luthier's shop while I go bopping about the Northeast, and pick it up - and the two others he's been working on - just before heading back south again. Still, there would be a few days spent traveling with them in the van even then. I do have A/C, but I won't be running it while stopped.

Another consideration is, can I really wait till then, more than four months away?

Also, even though I'd appreciate the assistance of a member stepping up to help, I wonder if it's best to leave it in the hands of an experienced professional - ie, the UPS store guy, who seemed quite proactive and knowledgeable. We discussed packing the mandolin inside the case so it would be immobile, as well as slacking the strings to disarm tension. Even though it's bound to add a couple hundred dollars to the already pricey deal (after fees, taxes, and now shipping, the great deal I'd had from the winning bid has vanished, leaving me with something closer to the going rate for such an instrument), it's probably the best option. Besides, I wouldn't want to saddle a Café member with the responsibility. That's what shippers - and insurance, as you pointed out - are for.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Niles Hokkannan lives in Winchester? He's a member.

How exciting Steve!

f-d
    Thanks. That's a bit of a hike, actually, like an hour and a half. I don't want to bother him, or anyone. If they offer, that's different.

Blog Entries

By the way, in case some folks are thinking I'm overthinking this ... you may be right. I am very deliberate when it comes to certain things, including weighty decisions and sizable purchases. This is both. This represents more than a month's rent for me. It's also more than double what I paid for my current vehicle. In fact, I've only ever spent more on a single purchase in my life, and that was for, yep, a vehicle. So this is kind of foreign territory for me. Sorry to bother people, and thanks for bearing with me.