Thread: Poets in Time for mandolin orchestra, free

Default Poets in Time for mandolin orchestra, free

I've just created a web page for another of my older mandolin orchestra pieces from my backlog. This one was commissioned by Douglas Back for his Fretworks ensemble at the Baldwin Magnet School in Montgomery, AL back in 2010.

You can see a nice video of the premiere performance, in 2011, here:

The score and parts are available here: http://www.mandotopia.com/PoetsinTime.html

And you can find my list of my mandolin orchestra pieces here: http://www.mandotopia.com/mandolinorchestra.htm

The piece has parts for M1, M2, Mandola, Guitar and Bass. Mandocellos can just double the bass line. Give it a try if you have a group handy to play with.

I still have a few more pieces to add but I'm slow to get around to it. One of these days ...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Poets in Time for mandolin orchestra, free

John, I see there is also a banjo player there too. I wonder how many of these students continue on with mandolin...both classical or say another style like bluegrass?
    Nick

Default Re: Poets in Time for mandolin orchestra, free

Nick, I bet that Doug Back, the leader of the group, could give you some details about how many of his former students have continued playing over the years, whether on mandolin or banjo.

When Doug commissioned this piece he explained that he would probably have tenor banjos playing the mandola part and I think they sound pretty good.

Doug is a real scholar of banjo history and knows a lot about the early BMG (banjo, mandolin, guitar) movement in the U.S.