Thread: The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for February 2021

Default The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for February 2021

Hi Folks
    Here are some new resources I've posted for February. There are various audio files to help you learn the tunes and tablature and notation too. I think the main benefit here is having an opportunity to play along with other instruments. When you've got to grips with the tune play the main mix and turn it up loud, close your eyes and imagine you're there ... er ... oh I know, it's not the same!

You'll see that I'm picking slightly unusual and pretty easy tunes from our traditions so if you're looking to learn jigs and reels then there are loads of resources available that I don't need to duplicate (like Aidan's at www.theirishmandolin.com - he's posting some really good tunes these days and I've been learning quite a few of them too).

16. Cavehill
    A sweet wee tune with a bit of a fairground feel to it. I used to see Cavehill every day on my way to school when I lived in Belfast. Great walk these days if you're ever there.
    17. The Laird's Guid Brither
    An old tune Scottish tune from a recorder book from 1702. I've put all kinds of harmonies and parts in there for you to doodle around with if you are in a bigger group, but it still works with just a few mandolins.
    18. The Black Hall Jig
    Sometimes the simpler tunes are the best. I love this one. An English tune, maybe from Northumberland. Thanks to herself for the whistle playing. In a session mandolin players can be swamped by fiddles and accordions but whistles and flutes don't seem to do that.
    19. Here is my Love Migey Linken comin' o'er the Lee
    If you're like me and can remember lots of tunes but not their names this one should be easy to remember. The tune as another old Scottish I think from the same flute collection as The Laird's Guid Brither. There is room for ornamentation, which I usually add when I'm playing it, but the tune stands on its own without that. Quite dramatic - some kind of ... er ... longing in there .. for Migey.

One more tune to come next month to make it up to twenty and then I'll be posting a new selection of tunes from the Aird's collection of 1782.

Hope you enjoy these tunes
    John

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clachanmusic For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for February 2021

Great site you have created there, John. Thanks for all your efforts.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

4. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Hello, very interesting but when I came to this site https://sites.google.com/view/thecelticmandolin/home there are no workable links!
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

If you're talking about the links to the sound files on the right hand side of the page, there's a wee note that say to reload the page if the links don't play the first time - that's what I did and it worked fine.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

7. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    If you're talking about the links to the sound files on the right hand side of the page, there's a wee note that say to reload the page if the links don't play the first time - that's what I did and it worked fine.
    No links working still
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

No links working for me either, on the front page using Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge. The Tune of the week folder links work as do the tunes. But nothing on the front page of the website has working links for me.

Still probably a user error on my part, but don't have more time to spend figuring it out.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

10. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Thanks John. Hope you're enjoying these tunes as much as I am.
    John

Sorry about the links not working, but I've now tried the 'play' links on a PC, an Android phone and an iPad and they all seem to be working - except that you might have to 'refresh' the page before they will play. The folder links are working perfectly, which is the important thing. The audio is just to give you some info on what's inside the folder (more audio practice files and PDFs).

Basically Google - whose services I pay for - haven't implemented the music file system very well, but it does work. I'll think about posting the audio as Youtube videos as soon as I can work that out - which is probably what Google want as I think they present their own music service through Youtube and want us all to be generating advertising revenue for them.

Anyway, if you do manage to get access I hope you enjoy these great wee tunes. I'm looking forward to trying these out with some real human beings as soon as it's safe.

John

13. The following members say thank you to clachanmusic for this post:

Okay. That makes sense. I thought the underlined words on the left side of the main page were hot links that weren't working. Yes, everything else works fine with a refresh or two needed. And the "About" on the left side of the page does work. So everything is good. It's just me seeing underlined words and clicking. User error on my part.

Great site, BTW. Thanks for all the work you're doing.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723