Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Music Store Prices Firm?

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Default Re: Are Music Store Prices Firm?

The first mandolin I bought was a used Washburn. I bought it from a local independent music store (I love those places--and this one has glass windows on their shop area so you can watch what's happening on the bench. Fascinating!). Anyway, the tag was marked $169. I asked the staffer who was helping me a very nonconfrontational, "Is there any room in that price?" He said, "I can let it go for $160 out the door, and throw in a gig bag." I figured it had come in as a trade-in with a bag, because who doesn't have a bag? But he asked another staffer to bring out a bag and it was still in plastic with the little silicone bags inside.

I was glad I had gathered the nerve to ask, even if I did sell the package a few weeks later to buy an Eastman instead.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

2. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

I remembered last night: On Reverb.com listings, sellers (including stores) may indicate whether or not they will consider offers on the items they have for sale. A surprising (to me) number of music stores do.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

4. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Lagrand View Post
    I remembered last night: On Reverb.com listings, sellers (including stores) may indicate whether or not they will consider offers on the items they have for sale. A surprising (to me) number of music stores do.
    Some say they do, but they also fail to respond, or send counter-offers that very close to the asking prices. It's going to depend on the store. Also, consider the seller's fees on sites like Ebay and Reverb. If you are looking for a discount from a store's listing on Reverb, contact the store directly and ask if you can have the discount in lieu of them paying the fees on Reverb. Sometimes if you pay cash, a store will give you the 3% that they would have paid on a credit card transaction.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I Just bought an Eastman 615 and the well known store did not move an inch.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I wanted a Phoenix mandolin. I saw one at a music shop in Texas. I sent them an email. In that email I told them I'd buy that very mandolin for a price of $x,xxx.oo. My offer was easily $600 or $700 bucks less than the ask. It was what I was willing to part with. I got an email agreeing to my offer and bought it.

I liked it, but sold it eventually.

I've done this multiple times in private sales. It also works in music shops. That said, be prepared for, "No!"

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I only have one. But, surely no one takes me seriously!
    And don’t call me Shirley!
    I’m headed to my corner, I known I know.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett