Thread: Crambone

Default Crambone

I tried to watch the new movie uhggg, I'll take this

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CBFrench For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Crambone

What new movie?

The singer in the cartoon was Shug Fisher, was a mandolin player and fiddler with Sons of The Pioneers, Roy Rogers's band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shug_Fisher
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

There's new Tom & Jerry movie just released, my daughter took my grandson to see it last night It's pretty horrible.

Well I'll be durn I didn't know that. I went on vacation as a kid with my parents to Colorado somewhere around 1962. We went to a campfire cookout one night and Son's Of The Pioneers were walking around the campfire cookout playing and singing. I remember they were incredible. A memory I'll never forget in the beautiful mountain area of Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    There's new Tom & Jerry movie just released, my daughter took my grandson to see it last night It's pretty horrible.

Well I'll be durn I didn't know that. I went on vacation as a kid with my parents to Colorado somewhere around 1962. We went to a campfire cookout one night and Son's Of The Pioneers were walking around the campfire cookout playing and singing. I remember they were incredible. A memory I'll never forget in the beautiful mountain area of Colorado
    As a fan of old animation, I wouldn't go near a remake of the oldies. Tom and Jerry were the end of an era. Hanna and Barbera, the creators, went on to make formulaic TV cartoons which were fun, but didn't compare artistically to Tom and Jerry. The cookout with the band seems like a nice memory. (In truth, Crambone ain't the best example of Hanna-Barbera's artistic talents.)
    Last edited by Ranald; Feb-28-2021 at 2:12pm.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

One exception that I know of is spongebob - lots of steel/slide guitar, button box and concertina

Was it Raymond Scott who scored/recorded many of those early soundtracks? That stuff formulated much of my musical conception - exposed us all to jazz and some pretty sophisticated stuff.

8. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Ranald 

My youngest daughter was just a bit too old for Sponge Bob, so I don't know those cartoons well. The old cartoons, 20's to early 50's -- Walt Disney, Fleisher Brothers (Betty Boop, Popeye), Looney Tunes, Walter Lanz (Woody Woodpecker), Hanna-Barbera (Tom & Jerry), and many from smaller studios -- had a great variety of music, e.g., symphonic, opera, jazz, hillbilly, fiddle. The opera star, Ben Hepner, said that he was first was exposed to opera through Looney Tunes. Plenty of these cartoons are available on YouTube, though many include negative ethnic stereotypes, and undoubtedly are offensive to minorities and were when those cartoons were first released. Before letting kids view old cartoons, I'd both screen them and be ready to discuss some complex cultural issues. However, Betty Boop in "Snow White" and "The Old Man of The Mountain" are classics, featuring the jazz singer and band leader, Cab Calloway, and without racist content (sexist is another matter, but my girls grew up on them without taking Betty as a role model). In Snow White, the cartoonists traced Cab's dancing for a ghostly dance. The cartoons of that era were made as shorts to entertain adults in movie theatres, and weren't originally meant for children. They sometimes have adult sexual humour, usually over children's heads, and jokes that work on different levels -- plenty of laughs.
    Last edited by Ranald; Mar-01-2021 at 4:39pm.

10. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

I’m with you Ranald,
    Modern animation is pretty awful, CGI is just disturbing, none of it is anything like the old honest ink to acetate (or vellum) powered by vats of coffee and speed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

12. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Ranald