Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best strings for a Lyon & Healy type C mandolin

Default Re: Best strings for a Lyon & Healy type C mandolin

That Washburn is probably from the same era as mine. They reworked the neck for these, they are bit chunkier. My earlier long scale one had a terrible neck snap due probably due to the design of the scrolled headstock. They had to rout out the headstock. I actually used j-74s on it when I first restrung it and it did sound nice.

The Washburn has T-Is and it will stay that way. I can get a similar sound in the video from my other mandolins although I doubt I can play as well as Frank S.

For your playing convenience to stay on this site and this thread:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    The strings in the Frank Solivan video can't be TIs—they don't have the black winding at the ends. Whatever they are, they look to be on the heavier side.
    Do you know the TI winding colors? I have a set with green silks, and don't remember if they are stark or weich. I know mittels have black silks.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Do you know the TI winding colors? I have a set with green silks, and don't remember if they are stark or weich. I know mittels have black silks.
    Lowtone, I have only ever used the mittels.

FWIW, I bought a 1970s Japanese bowl back this summer. The strings on it had winding somewhere between blue and turquoise. Very bright, very pretty color. Those were definitely light strings, but I don’t know if they were TIs. Does any other company do silk windings on mandolin strings?

4. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Does any other company do silk windings on mandolin strings?
    Dogal Calace Strings: these re the ultralight Dolce ones on my style 3 Vega bowlback. Sort of an aqua-greenish color.

There are a number of violin string ID charts but I don't know if there are similar ones for guitar or mandolin strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogalCalaceRW92b-hdstk.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	192579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogalCalaceRW92b-tp.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	192580
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Update on my L&H:

At long last, I got my instrument back with a planed fingerboard and new frets. This thing sounds and plays so much better now. I am currently using the Optima soloist edition for the E and A courses, and the Optima Black Label for the D & G courses. I am very happy with the results this far, I feel like these strings have a bit more brightness and pop compared to the Thomastic strings. My last string experiment will be to try these Embergher consort strings:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/optima...set-17593.html

If anyone is interested in hearing the differences, I can post some videos.

CelloMando - what makes you want to try the Embergher set and what are you expecting? Thanks!
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Apr-26-2021 at 6:46pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I also wondered that. Are the Optimas that are on there very light gauge. The L&H can certainly take heavier gauge than the Consort strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The strings I have on currently have the following gauges: .0105, .015, .022, .036

The embergher consort strings are: .010, .015, .022,. 033

The Embergher strings are a bit lighter, but not by a large amount. The Optima black label strings were designed with a modern German bowlback in mind I assume, and I'm missing a little depth in tone on the G course. I'd like to see how the Bronze bass strings sound on my L&H, it could be a nice middle ground between a classical flat wound set and a modern D'addario set. I've also been playing a ton of Italian folk music along with lots of Calace and other 19th century stuff, and my thought was that the Consort set of strings might provide a more "authentic" sound for that.

Even at $30 a set, these strings are still massive bargain in my opinion. A set of 4 cello strings cost about $350, so i'll take $30 for 8 strings any day....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~CelloMando~ For This Useful Post: