Thread: Another Thomastik Infeld Question

Default Another Thomastik Infeld Question

I was ready to splurge and get a nice set of flatwounds for my F5 after a long hiatus. But now I’m confused. One site has Thomastik Infeld Wien for one price and another site has Thomastik Infeld Vienna for about $10 more. The packaging is different, the price is different. Does anyone know if the strings are any different between the two?

Default Re: Another Thomastik Infeld Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kimb View Post
    I was ready to splurge and get a nice set of flatwounds for my F5 after a long hiatus. But now I’m confused. One site has Thomastik Infeld Wien for one price and another site has Thomastik Infeld Vienna for about $10 more. The packaging is different, the price is different. Does anyone know if the strings are any different between the two?
    Wein is just the German for Vienna. I'd guess they are exactly the same, just labeled/packaged for different markets

Good to know. Thanks!

Be sure you get the right ends. I mistakenly ordered ball ends last week. The nice folks at Strings and Beyond are fixing my mistake at their expense.

I have been buying them for decades and never even noticed that they made ball ends.

Blog Entries

I really love these strings! I have a set on my Gibson teens oval hole and it sounds and plays incredibly. What gauge do you like?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I have used stark in the past but I’m going to try the mittle this time around. They are a whole new flavor of sound for my Gibson F5L. The flatwounds are a real treat too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimb View Post
    I have used stark in the past but I’m going to try the mittle this time around. They are a whole new flavor of sound for my Gibson F5L. The flatwounds are a real treat too!
    Kimb, I applaud you because it is a choice that stands out in a crowd! I put them on an MT and that sounded amazing. The richness of tone really brings out a warmth and sweetness from the instrument. I am considering putting them on my Pava. I am happy with the GHS PB strings on it now, so I will have to give it some thought. Let me know how they sound on your F5L. I am jealous of that one!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Wein is just the German for Vienna. I'd guess they are exactly the same, just labeled/packaged for different markets
    Wein is German for wine. But we like it very much here in Wien/Vienna, too. ;-)

9. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

This post inspired me to try them, so I ordered a set for my Northfield F5, but I fear they are now lost in the mail with USPS.

Do these Thomastik flats sound very diffferent from eg D'Addario flatwounds?

I switched to Pyramid flat wounds.Sound the same for less money.

Received and put the new light gauge TI’s on my F5L yesterday. I have always used 11-40 PB from various makers looking for “that sound” with the odd set of nickel/ monels thrown in so my first impression was why didn’t I do this sooner? Very easy to play! It sounds like I might have given up a little volume with the lighter strings but the clarity, sweetness and sustain being delivered makes it sound like a different mandolin! Did I mention much easier to play? The wrap on both ends is a bonus. I put the Pyramids and flatwound D’Addario’s on the list to try!

In my experience the Thomastiks are much, much better than the D'Addario flat wounds. They are smoother and have better tone. They are also incredibly stable and seem to last forever, so changing strings only happens occasionally -- no big deal. All that makes the Thomastiks a good value in my opinion. I use mittels on my 30s Dobro. Good tone, easy to play, longevity -- an excellent solution.

15. The following members say thank you to Strabo for this post: