Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cullng the herd

Default Cullng the herd

With great reluctance, Tuesday I am going to put my Collins on consignment. With my lovely Hester F4, I cannot justify having another oval hole with somewhat similar sound. The Martin, while an oval, is a different type of instrument. I waited for the particular combination, oval hole, blond, Italian spruce, birdseye maple, so when it showed up at Music Emporium, I jumped on it. It is such a lovely instrument, but given our financial situation, an unneeded instrument cannot be justified. I have also sold off a few electric basses for the same reason. My bottom line is, if I don't play em, they will be finding a new home.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Cullng the herd

Put ‘em on the classifieds here! With the quality of your instruments, I’m sure you would find eager buyers if they’re priced fairly!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I know how you feel. But brace yourself: It's just wood and wire.

An old friend ran the service department of a VW dealership in the very wealthy town of Greenwich, Connecticut. Some owners were so sentimental about their bugs that they broke down in tears when he told them their cars were dead.

Whenever the waterworks started (all the time, to hear him tell it), he'd take the customer out to the car and say, "Put your hand on the hood."

Then he'd say, "What do you feel?"

The customer would say, "Metal."

And he'd say, "Right. It's just metal and glass and rubber, and it's time to get rid of it."

So: No tears! Keep on pluckin'!

Don, I truly do not like selling instruments and all that is involved. Negotiation, packaging, shipping and all the rest. I am fortunate to be able to work with Walter Carter and his staff that do all that for me. The final decision is mine, but the grunt work is not.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    With my lovely Hester F4, I cannot justify having another oval hole with somewhat similar sound.
    If they have somewhat similar sound, have you considered keeping the Collings and rehoming the Hester?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I'm still sentimental about my bug...
    1955 Levin 52
    1993 Flatiron 3MC
    2019 Meredith A5
    1906 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Andreasen View Post
    I'm still sentimental about my bug...
    Me too. After decades I bought a 2019 convertible when they announced they were discontinuing them yet again.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Wish I had an old Volkswagen too trade for one of someone's nice mandolins. How about an AMC Gremlin?
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    Wish I had an old Volkswagen too trade for one of someone's nice mandolins. How about an AMC Gremlin?
    A Gremlin? You might get a banjo or two for it, Bob.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

My buddy Pheff asked why I decided to keep the Hester and rehoming the Collins. There a few reasons. One the Hester has a slightly solter more gentle sound that I prefer. Second, Gail made that for me with the specs I wanted. So it has the look of the Loar era F4, with the playability of a newer instrument. As such it is unique and just what I wanted. Last reason is the my wife's maiden name is Hester. Enough said. She wants me to keep it. To he bottom line is that I love that instrument. You would have to pry it from my dead fingers.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

13. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

I suspect he had an ulterior motive. His collection is incomplete.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric F. For This Useful Post:

I suspect Pheff being an owner of a Hester A5 knows exactly why I am keeping my Hester F4. I just thought it was a worthy question to try to share my answer.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

17. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Hey! Youse guys running down Gremlins! I love them. My first car was a Gremlin. In fact, my first two cars were Gremlins. So what if I went through both of them in five years - or was it just three? They suited me just fine. One of them took me all the way out west and back on my first vacation in years, fall of 1984. Went to all kinds of hot springs, Indian ruins, canyons, and my endless search for the best bowl of chili. The Mustard Custard (so-named because of its color, and the fact it got egged) got me in and out of Chaco Canyon, on a road so rough I had to crawl along at 5-10 mph for much of its 50-mile length. (It was worth it, though - the ruins were fantastic, and the night sky among the finest I've ever seen.) The passenger side seat back folded all the way down, providing a sleeping arrangement when combined with the back area. This was the vehicle that afforded me a glimpse of my niece when she was just a few weeks old. And also brought me to Kalamazoo to see the Gibson factory. So I have fond memories of this vehicle, despite its, ah, unique appearance. If that's all right with you.

That said, the only vehicle I've owned that I really loved was the VW camper that, among other things, brought me to Key West in 1988. She was lime green, most fittingly, and my best friend's mom made curtains all around out of camo material. I figured if it looked like it was kind of redneck, I wouldn't get hassled by the cops. It worked. Also, I got a Harley-Davidson spare tire cover for the spare on the back door. We had some times together. Just about broke my heart the day it backfired on my way to work, some gas came up out of the carburetor and burst into flame when it hit the engine block, and that magnesium block could not be put out. I ran around and grabbed my instruments out and tossed them up onto the grass. The fire extinguisher was good for one little spurt. I helplessly watched as she went to a fiery death.

I don't know what it is about cars, and instruments. They are indeed inanimate objects, but we spend so much time with them, enjoy all manner of experiences with and through them, they do seem to take on personalities as we form attachments with them. I'm sure psychologists will say these are projections and reflections of our own feelings, but they sure feel pretty real. Yet honestly, I can't entirely relate to what you must be going through, red7flag. I've never sold an instrument, or a vehicle. I find the cars toward the end of their lives, and I take them the rest of the way, drive them into the ground, and get another, The instruments fare a bit better, at least.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. already in progress.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

My buddy Pheff asked why I decided to keep the Hester and rehoming the Collins. There a few reasons. One the Hester has a slightly solter more gentle sound that I prefer. Second, Gail made that for me with the specs I wanted. So it has the look of the Loar era F4, with the playability of a newer instrument. As such it is unique and just what I wanted. Last reason is the my wife's maiden name is Hester. Enough said. She wants me to keep it. To he bottom line is that I love that instrument. You would have to pry it from my dead fingers.
    Certainly no offense to Collings. Guitars are awesome. I find their mandos to be inconsistent. But that's just my personal opinion.
    Best I ever heard was Nick Dumas' A. With regard to Hester mandos, they are awesome. I had an F5 that I truly regret selling. Gail's work is impecable. All work is done by hand. No CNC. Truly handbuilt from start to finish. You made the right choice.

21. The following members say thank you to banjoboy for this post:

You would have to pry it from my dead fingers.
    And marry your widow!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I would also guess (am I wrong) that the Hester is not a hybrid and the Collings would most certainly would be? There are enough Collings Os out there if you every wanted to buy another but the Hester has the mark of her personalizing it for you. Gail was always on my short list if I ever wanted to commission. BTW is she still building?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would also guess (am I wrong) that the Hester is not a hybrid and the Collings would most certainly would be?
    I believe that Collings ovals join at the 13th fret.

Gail was always on my short list if I ever wanted to commission. BTW is she still building?
    I certainly hope so. It’s been about four years since her last batch — ash89’s Griffith Loar A5, Darryl Wolfe’s A5-z, and Joe Mendel’s luscious H3 mandola — but such gaps have been more the rule than the exception in Gail’s history of building instruments.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    A Gremlin? You might get a banjo or two for it, Bob.
    Two banjos for a Gremlin? How many for a Pacer?

I can't believe we're bidding up on banjos with automotive lemons. What would a Chevy Vega bring? Probably an accordian!
    To the OP, sorry I sent this thread off the rails. I'm out.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

I can't believe we're bidding up on banjos with automotive lemons. What would a Chevy Vega bring? Probably an accordian!.
    Probably a little more if it had a Cosworth.

How about a Ford Pinto? My dream was to have a Chevy Corvair with the title of Ralph Nader's book on the hood: Unsafe at Any Speed.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Yenko Stinger 66-69 was the all-time kickass Corvair. Yenko turned out some pretty badass Camaro’s then too.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hey! Youse guys running down Gremlins! I love them. My first car was a Gremlin. In fact, my first two cars were Gremlins. So what if I went through both of them in five years - or was it just three? They suited me just fine. One of them took me all the way out west and back on my first vacation in years, fall of 1984. Went to all kinds of hot springs, Indian ruins, canyons, and my endless search for the best bowl of chili....
    Dude, you had a Gremlin that was still running in 1984?? that's noteworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I don't know what it is about cars, and instruments. They are indeed inanimate objects, but we spend so much time with them, enjoy all manner of experiences with and through them, they do seem to take on personalities as we form attachments with them. I'm sure psychologists will say these are projections and reflections of our own feelings, but they sure feel pretty real....
    Exactly. You can't deny those inanimate object's ability to transport us to far off places, which is probably where the sentiment for these vessels comes from. Probably not scientifically measured, but undeniable to most of us.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

My dream was to have a Chevy Corvair ...[/B][/U][/URL].
    My mom's favorite car. Well, I'm not sure if that's really so, but she had a couple. And the second one, the Monza model, was a forest green convertible. OK, maybe *I* loved that car, the only ragtop in the family's automotive history. Funny coinkydink, she went through these two in five years, just as I later would with the Gremlins. Weird ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Merlo View Post
    Dude, you had a Gremlin that was still running in 1984?? that's noteworthy.
    Ha ha ha! I had a great mechanic. He ended up retiring - perhaps my business helped him reach that goal - and the guy who took over the shop wasn't as good, friendly, or inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Two banjos for a Gremlin? How many for a Pacer?
    Only one and a half. The Pacer was actually the weird one of the two - a car with a square floor plan, as it were. But it would be worth it to see how someone trading for one would come up with half a banjo.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

To the OP, sorry I sent this thread off the rails.
    I am, too. Mostly. But I had to speak up to defend the beleaguered Gremlin.

Besides, didn't we solve the original matter? Well, I hope so.