Thread: Case for Eastman MD315?

Default Case for Eastman MD315?

Anyone know of a good, inexpensive case for my new 315? It came with a decent gig bag, but I'm hoping for something under $150 with good protection that won't fall apart for traveling.

I would go test them out in shops, but I can't find many in my area that sell them (had to drive 45 minutes to buy the mandolin and I'm not looking to do that again unless I have to).

Plywood or fiberglass/plastic is ok. I'm a fan of the rectangular cases I've seen with a little more storage space, too.

Not planning on shipping it or throwing it in an airplane cargo compartment or anything, but I'd like to be able to carry it on for flying.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Case for Eastman MD315?

I have the exact same question! Following this thread. I’m hoping to find a decent case too, that fits the 315 well (not lots of extra space with it bouncing around inside).

3. The following members say thank you to esslewis for this post:

Golden Gate, TKL, Crossrock, and Gator all make very serviceable and affordable cases. I haven’t looked into the price of an Eastman fiberglass case recently, but they’re well regarded as well. I feel like the Golden Gate I house my Kelley in (when it’s not in its Reunion Blues gig bag) fits more securely/snugly than the TKLs and Gators I’ve had, but they’re all fine for general use. Not flight cases, but any should work for what you’re describing.

Travelite and the soft shell Gator hard foam case are good as well, but maybe not as crush resistant for the overhead bin, and too bulky to
    Fit under the seat on a plane...

I’ve looked around a LOT and just found this one on Amazon (though I hate to patronize them) —
    Glarry F style hard case — $63, a number of really good reviews. Looks like a very good solution. Made in China, I’m sure...
    If I hadn’t gone this route (my mando won’t be traveling a whole lot), I’d probably have gone with a Travelite or Gator CL case (though that giant Gator logo is a little annoying!). All well under $150....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hiscox (UK) now make a mando case - these cases are not the cheapest (Mando case £124 in UK), but they're tough and they last - I've got 3 of their fiddle cases and a guitar case. This promo vid may be of interest to all musicians, as it shows how flimsy most of our cases are. It has 6 guys standing on a Hiscox D guitar case, and explains why Hiscox cases are different from similar looking moulded cases. I don't know if they have US dealers or sell direct, but here's the info:

Last edited by maxr; Mar-05-2021 at 5:54am.

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    I’ve looked around a LOT and just found this one on Amazon (though I hate to patronize them) —
    Glarry F style hard case — $63, a number of really good reviews. Looks like a very good solution. Made in China, I’m sure...
    If I hadn’t gone this route (my mando won’t be traveling a whole lot), I’d probably have gone with a Travelite or Gator CL case (though that giant Gator logo is a little annoying!). All well under $150....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I just received this case today and the Eastman 315 does fit in it with just a bit of room to spare -- about 3/4" side-to-side for the body and about the same lengthwise. I rolled up a cloth and put it around the lower bout in the case and it fits great. Yes, about $63 total cost and it has to be the best value in cases -- very sturdy, very well padded, heavy faux-leather (I assume) vinyl covering, very nice stitching -- a great-looking case and yes your MD-315 will fit.

8. The following members say thank you to esslewis for this post:

maxr