Thread: I've gone to the dark side

Default I've gone to the dark side

This basically new Alabama tenor banjo followed me home today. I know nothing about banjos but it does look to be very well built with a Remo head. Tuning machines are serviceable and a quick tweak on the truss-rod brought the neck into nice playing position.

It measures to a 22.5" scale and is tuned in Chicago. I'd like to get it in 5ths - any suggestions on strings and gauges? I know nothing about banjos but it is very loud.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor-banjo.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	192364 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor-banjo-head.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	192365
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

2. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Default Re: I've gone to the dark side

I use Newtone strings in 12/18w/28w/38w gauges for my 19 fret tenor banjo tuned GDAE. I know lots of players who use guitar strings in the gauges they like (Elixirs are a popular choice) and just pop the wee ball end things out to accommodate the loop end tailpiece.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

What Jill said about Newtone strings. I love them on my tenors and plectrum. You'll have a choice of nickel plated steel or phosphor bronze. Great strings.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

6. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I prefer slightly lighter string on my 23” scale banjo, unlike tenor guitars that can be sensitive to string tension, I find you have more leeway way with banjos.
    Certainly nothing wrong with the strings suggested but I just prefer the feel and playability of 11p 16p 26w 36w.
    The A can be wound or plain depending on you preferred sound.
    Lot of sets available but guitar singles are perfect too.
    Last edited by fox; Mar-01-2021 at 4:42pm.

8. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Harley Marty

I've chosen Clifford Essex Irish lights for my 23" (19 fret). .011 (plain), .016 (nickel), .026 (nickel) & .036 (nickel). A few players have commented that it's the best sounding banjo that they've heard, & it's definitely not my playing they're talking about.

10. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post:

Great suggestions all. Keep them coming.

The string tension was really sloppy when I got it. The fellow said it came from the store in CGDA but he tuned it to Chicago (DGBE) so I took a chance and it tuned up to CGDA no problem. Since this has the fret marker at the 10th fret and the guy said he only played it twice, I figured the stock strings were meant for 5ths and I was right.

Overall nicely done as far as I can see. Nice neck and fretwork. Truss-rod works. Tuning machines are more than serviceable. Remo head. Aluminum pot is light but resonate. Lot's of snap and volume. I can see how these are perfect for gypsy jazz rhythm.

I noticed the 2 wound strings have more sparkle than the plain. Is this normal on a banjo? If so I can see the appeal in going with all wound strings.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Harley Marty

I prefer a wound A (GDAE) but you won’t get a wound string to go onto the E. Not unless you use a tape-wound nylon string, which I have by the way but haven’t tried it yet (with a full set of nylons).
    I am just setting out the scale length on a banjo this morning & I keep thinking it may suite Bruce B or Jill McAuley E =22 3/4” to G= 23 1/4”. An openback woody tenor that already has a new home to go to. The dark side isn’t too bad O==•

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harley Marty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I'd like to get it in 5ths - any suggestions on strings and gauges? I know nothing about banjos but it is very loud.
    CGDA or GDAE?

CGDA

will it go GDAE?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Ah we have been suggesting GDAE, if you want CGDA 9p 13p 18w 28w for 23” scale 10p 14p 20w 30w for 21” scale.

17. The following members say thank you to fox for this post: