Thread: What oils do you use if you use oils

Default What oils do you use if you use oils

Say that three times fast!

Actually, we have all see the tru-oil work well on instruments but what other oils have you used? I have several penetrating hardening oils at home for wood projects. Festool HD, one-step and outdoor oils, and some Osmo Topoilo high solids. All nice oils but I wonder how they would work on an acoustic instrument. I don't care to be the experimenter if others have already tried them, if they didn't work I won't give them a shot. I am thinking it has more to do with whether they are penetrating and or hardening oils. I believe walnut oil is a penetrating hardening oil even safe for food use. So just curious what you have tried and learned from the experience as a whole, not the ones I listed in particular just any that may have been tried. Thanks, and yes I also have shellac flakes and use Everclear, the good stuff, to melt it down and dissolve it for use. I have not tried it over oil but that thought has crossed my mind as well. Thanks all!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: What oils do you use if you use oils

I have used Watco butcher block oil on electric necks with decent results. It does harden. If you use several coats you can get some gloss. It gives maple a slight amber hue.