Thread: Cassette Tape -> MP3 -> Youtube

Default Cassette Tape -> MP3 -> Youtube

Not sure if this is a good forum to ask this...

I dug out my old Walkman Professional and the 3-4 tapes I kept the other day. After 25 years it still worked, although I'm not sure how well. May have some flutter/etc from the old belts.

I have a concert from 1986 that might be nice to make available on Youtube. I will attach two pictures with the info. Does anyone have any interest in making a better (perhaps enhanced) digital recording from this? I don't really trust my old walkman to do a good job, or not to break a belt. Doc Watson and Frank Wakefield would likely be the primary interest here, I don't recall if I recorded the whole concert, but perhaps because it is on two tapes.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1986Fest.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	192533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fest - 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	192534  

Default Re: Cassette Tape -> MP3 -> Youtube

You can do this in a few ways.

Lo-tech - play the tape loud near your computer mic and record it as an MP3. From there, you'd just need video editing software (iMovie or whatever) to add the images if you wanted to go with YouTube. Upside - super easy and doesn't really require any special equipment. Downside - you'll get ambient noise (like a chair moving, dog barking etc)

Hi-Tech - using an 1/8" male to xlr or 1/4" male connector to plug the audio directly in to your computer. If you have an direct input for your computer, this is pretty easy too. Big upside - no ambient noises. Small downside - you may have to but some gear (but is that ever really a downside??)
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5