Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interested in picking up mandolin, advice on buying first.

Default Re: Interested in picking up mandolin, advice on buying first.

Hey folks. An update to my post back in March. I bought the Big Muddy flat top Mandolin. I am loving it, and practicing a lot to try and get it down. It is challenging and fun! Anyway, not that I should do this, but I'll ask anyway. With me now owning a flat top Mando, what would be the logical next Mandolin to look at? Still to just play on my back porch only. Sounds? features? anything different that might be of interest? I saw a lot of suggestions above. But now with the flat top on board, what's next? Thanks for all your expert advice.

2. The following members say thank you to sja33 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sja33 View Post
    Hey folks. An update to my post back in March. I bought the Big Muddy flat top Mandolin. I am loving it, and practicing a lot to try and get it down. It is challenging and fun! Anyway, not that I should do this, but I'll ask anyway. With me now owning a flat top Mando, what would be the logical next Mandolin to look at? Still to just play on my back porch only. Sounds? features? anything different that might be of interest? I saw a lot of suggestions above. But now with the flat top on board, what's next? Thanks for all your expert advice.
    The biggest contrast for a flattop with an oval hole would be an archtop with f-holes. If you have significantly increased your budget, you might consider this new Collings:

https://themusicemporium.com/products/collings-mt-lefty

A more affordable alternative for porch picking would be this used Eastman:

https://sunvalleyguitars.com/product...o-setup-lefty/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

sja33 

This is too late, but Peter Sawchyn in Regina, SK, has a used Beavertail F/S at his store: Sawchyn Guitars, Regina, SK, Canada. (NFI) Patterned after the old Flatiron flattops (and similar to what you're ordering), Peter makes these with all solid woods (spruce, flame maple, etc.) and they are very well made. He's asking $800 CDN, or about $650 US.
    Too many instruments...too little time