Thread: Dead Fret?

Default Dead Fret?

Just picked up a new to me 2010 Ratliff R5 and it's fantastic. After a few days of playing I noticed that the 13th fret of the E string is muted (basically sounds like the 14th fret muted). Half step up or down sound fine, it's only that particular fret on that particular string. Does that indicate a low fret? Such that when it's fretted in that position, the 14th fret is partially activated?

I changed the strings and the issue still persists. Now I don't play above the 12th fret much, but I'd like to understand the physics and issue so that it can be set up in ideal conditions.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Default Re: Dead Fret?

Your 14th fret is probably high. Probably has popped up a bit from its slot because of low humidity. Push on the end and see it moves or if there's a bit of space between it and the fingerboard. You might be able to tap it down with a tack hammer. Best solution is get it down and wick a little water thin super glue in there. Don't get any on the finish.

Dale-

Copy that. It did come from a humid Texas to a relatively dry bay area. My eyes can't see a space between the fret and the fingerboard, but I'll take it into work where I have some magnifiers and feeler gauges. I appreciate your expertise!

You can try using a small straight edge to check fret height, one that just covers 13th, 14th, and 15th frets. Place it across those frets in line with the string path. If it rocks on the 14th fret it is high. If not, move it to the 12th, 13th, and 14th frets. If you see light between the 13th fret and the straight edge, then that fret is low. Fret ends popping up is a common problem when humidity drops, and the method Dale gives above is a good one.