Thread: Comparing Mandolins

Default Comparing Mandolins

I am new to this forum, but I have spent quite a bit of time trying to learn all I can about Mandolins.
    In my research, reading forums, reviews, listening to what I can and playing some I have narrowed my list to Collings MT or MT2, Pava and Northfield A-5.
    Recently there has been a listing for an Elkhorn A-5 and a Lawrence smart A-5.
    With my limited knowledge and understanding they seem to be quite comparable to
    the mandolins I have been looking at. For example, the Elkhorn seems to be more like the Pava pro than the Pava satin. If that is true then I could get the quality of the Pava Pro model for about the price of the satin.
    I realize that it is also about sound and how it feels, but in this case I am looking for help understanding the quality of the build.
    I would appreciate any insight, perspective or information that would be helpful from those of you that know much more about the build quality of these mandolins and how they compare.
    Also, any other recommendations are welcome.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Comparing Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Whimpsta View Post
    In my research, reading forums, reviews, listening to what I can and playing some I have narrowed my list to Collings MT or MT2, Pava and Northfield A-5. Recently there has been a listing for an Elkhorn A-5 and a Lawrence smart A-5.
    With my limited knowledge and understanding they seem to be quite comparable to
    the mandolins I have been looking at. For example, the Elkhorn seems to be more like the Pava pro than the Pava satin. If that is true then I could get the quality of the Pava Pro model for about the price of the satin. I realize that it is also about sound and how it feels, but in this case I am looking for help understanding the quality of the build.
    Having owned a Collings and a Pava, I can tell you that I’m skeptical that there is better build quality out there. They were both pretty flawlessly constructed mandolins. That said, there are different build qualities depending on the materials used and the luthier using them. And in that vein, I am a big believer in the independent builder. I have no experience of Robb Brophy’s Elkhorn mandolins, though they certainly look lovely, but I would jump all over the Smart A5 in the classifieds:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/167834#167834

The worst thing that happens with an appropriately depreciated used mandolin is that you enjoy it for a period of time and then move it along at little to no loss in order to sample another.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

All the mandolins you mentioned are high quality instruments. There are more Collings and Pavas in circulation and those names draw immediate approval. But, both Elkhorn and Smart have excellent reputations. Where it gets a little tricky is how it feels in YOUR hands. How it plays in your hands and sings to your ears may cause you to select one over the other. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above.

5. The following members say thank you to Ranger Bob for this post:

Dave Sheets

If you can't get a chance to play before you buy, a used MT or MT2 from a shop that does setup work, or used from a player on the ad boards here, has two major advantages. Collings is super consistent, making purchasing unseen and unplayed at little less risky. Since these two models are well known, they are easily traded in or resold at little loss if you buy used, and find that something else is the mandolin of your dreams in a year or two when travel is a bit easier.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

7. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the wonderful mandolins you mentioned.

If it were me, my first move would be to get more pictures and a sound file of the Smart.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

9. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

My 2 cents: That Lawrence Smart A5 is likely to be fantastic and the price is absurdly good. In my experience with Greg Proulx, he only ever has very nice instruments and he's a great guy to deal with
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

11. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

The rolling curl in the one-piece back of that Smart mandolin would swing it for me!

13. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

The 2 point Smart for a few more $$ is quite sweet.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

I own Elkhorn A5 #55 which I bought here on the classifieds about two months ago and can tell you the build quality is very high. As you point out it comes down to the feel and the sound and that's the part that only you can judge for yourself. Mine checks off all the boxes for me very nicely. Rob uses very high quality appointments: Waverly or Alessi tuners, Evo frets, James tailpiece, varnish finish, fully bound. And in my case I love the tone, find the specifics like fretboard extension and peghead inlay very tastefully done and the neck feels just right.
    You have a tough choice to make my friend, but all of the mandolins you've mentioned have the potential to make you very happy. Enjoy the journey!

17. The following members say thank you to Joe Welna for this post: