Thread: Found an old Sicilian bowlback

Default Found an old Sicilian bowlback

I found this old beauty yesterday in an antique shop in Ireland. No labels or makers Mark besides a very faint stamp on the front which says (I think) Salvatore CataniaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	192609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	192609

Default Re: Found an old Sicilian bowlback

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	192610

Not sure about Satvatore but there is Silvestri which made many mandolins in the early part of the 20th century.

There is a page on the Fetish Guitar site.

I think this may have been on that site but description changed from some time ago:

Little is known about the Silvestri brand (like many Sicilian luthiers) - except that, according to the scrolls, the company was founded in Catania in 1891

The oldest known Silvestri models are "romantic" guitars from the 20-30s. They have decorations typical of old Italian acoustics, but made in a semi-industrial, serial, repeated way. I have the feeling that these traditional guitars were still made in the 1950s.

At some point (until the 1950s / early 1960s) the brand was changed to "S.Sgroi Silvestri", I don't know why (merger? Change of shareholder? Marriage?). But the label remains unchanged or almost unchanged. The most recent of these guitars are technically similar to the economic acoustics built by the manufacturers of the Marche region in the 60s.

Given the high overall number of guitars marked 'Ermelinda Sivestri' or 'S.Sgroi Silvestri' that are encountered on the internet, and the wide geographical spread (they are found in Benelux, France, United Kingdom, Germany), it should be considered that Ermelinda / S.Sgroi Silvestri was the most important builder from Catania after Carmelo Catania.

We can note that like Carmelo Catania, Silvestri also produced Jazz guitars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My first mandolin was a Silvestri an that had [has - it’s been hanging on the wall for years] a stamp on the front which says “Silvestri, Catania”.

I should say that it is far more ornate than yours and the bowl is in rosewood.

There was also a maker Salvadore Giammona in Catania.

Name:	h3sr2oyq1mcrezxcvktf.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	192632

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Not sure about Satvatore but there is Silvestri which made many mandolins in the early part of the 20th century.

There is a page on the Fetish Guitar site.

I think this may have been on that site but description changed from some time ago:
    Here are a couple examples from Salvatore, one with a label showing through the soundhole and another of a stamp from an equally modest bowl as Matt's.
    As you can see the final vowel is a bit obscure in the stamp.
    Not sure that the two are from the same Salvatore....

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salvatore-Front.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	192659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salvatore-#2-Front.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	192660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salvatore-#2-Stamp.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	192661  

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Wonder why Salvatore included an insect in the maker's stamp...?

I'd say, for playing tarantellas, but a tarantula isn't an insect.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

If you were to take a saliva sample from any one of us suffering from MAS, and put the saliva sample under a microscope, then you would see hundreds/thousands of these little bugs swimming around. Clearly Salvatore Catania, with his bug logo, was attempting to document MAS—maybe as a warning, maybe as a hope on his part, or maybe just in the interest of science.

11. The following members say thank you to Potosimando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Wonder why Salvatore included an insect in the maker's stamp...?

I'd say, for playing tarantellas, but a tarantula isn't an insect.
    Here’s my guess: it is a potato beetle or as known in the US, tater bug which looks a lot like a bowlback mandolin esp ones with alternating dark and light woods.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

That makers stamp with the bug is definitely the same as on my “modest” old Sicilian lady.

The second, more modest one, has the same headstock shape and stamp as me so is likely from the same manufacturer, do you have any more info on it?More important does it sound good?

The tater bug stamp is very reminiscent of the ant stamp on Puglisi mandolins.
    Now I wonder if there are even more Catanian insect stamp mandolins.

Name:	puglisi_mandolin_ant.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	192702
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puglisi_mandolin_ant.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	192701  
    Eastman MD-315, Eastman MDO-305, Kentucky KM-150, Calace 1917, Gibson A ~ 1920, Johnson resonator mando

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I've seen bees used on various Sicilian symbols / logos (not to be confused with the tri-legged Helikon symbol) but if these stamps are of bees, they are very stylized.
    The elephant is the 'heraldic' symbol of Catania so the ant / formica stamp holds my interest as well.

I've owned any number of Sicilian mandolins, acquiring them and passing along, as the prices are attractive and the Sicilian vibe appeals to me. Like most Italian mandolins they are very lightly built compared to US bowls and have a great resonance to them. Many were made for export to the UK and certainly would have found their way to the Emerald Isle as well.

The fret spacing and intonation has been completely hit or miss. Too often miss. Their playability (neck position / action) after a 100+ years can be equally sketchioso.

A Cantanese mandolin that is playable with good intonation will make a fine instrument to play on even if the tonal range isn't quite so refined. They may never have the snob appeal of the those from Lo Stivale but that's entirely the point. I have played some Puglisi mandolins which are very very nice.

I've wanted to get one of the brash post-war models from Carmelo Catania but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I hope yours is in good, playable condition and that you enjoy discovering its wonderful potential.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post

A Cantanese mandolin that is playable with good intonation will make a fine instrument to play on even if the tonal range isn't quite so refined. They may never have the snob appeal of the those from Lo Stivale but that's entirely the point. I have played some Puglisi mandolins which are very very nice.

I hope yours is in good, playable condition and that you enjoy discovering its wonderful potential.

Mick
    Thank you for the comment - my Puglisi is my favorite of my bowlbacks - just sounds and plays so nicely. Better than my American Conservatory mandolin.

20. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post: