Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping an A Mandolin in place with rug underlayment

Default Keeping an A Mandolin in place with rug underlayment

So, I've been working on Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks course lately. Mike is playing an F style mando, but my Stradolin's an A. Since I have no points to do the job, Mike wants me to get some carpet underlayment to put in my lap in order to keep the mando in place.

What is that stuff made of? Is it bad for a mandolin's finish? I don't think it's rubber. I looked at some in a store today, and it said nothing about what it's made out of. One on Amazon says "Polyester Coated Scrim" whatever that is.

Right now, I'm using one of those rubber things used to open jars. But it has a tendency to fall on the floor.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Default Re: Keeping an A Mandolin in place with rug underlayment

I think a chamois cloth will work. I recall Keith Harris suggesting that in his book. "The Mandolin Game". i tried that but preferred a strap.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Never thought of a chamois cloth, I will look in the garage and see if there are any unused ones.
    I did consider one of those rubber mats that goes in a sink. I've got a strap already, I guess he wants me to use both.

How about a kitchen drawer liner? I’ve seen some soft rubber mesh stuff that would be pretty grippy yet supple and it comes in rolls so you can make it any size you want.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NDO For This Useful Post:

The rubber mesh kitchen drawer liner will work to an extent. I too am taking Mike's course at ArtistWorks. I have not been able to find a comfortable position resting an "A" style mandolin on my left leg - every position seems to hurt my back. I finally gave up trying it his way and now just use a strap. This works better for me and allows me to practice sitting or standing.

7. The following members say thank you to tooday for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

a strap?

Related, but unrelated. . .

I played one time with a ukulele. Dude was likely 10 years older than I am. I was about 60 at that time. Well this ukulele dude was from the Kingston trio era.

Night of our performance, there he was with his v-neck sweater on. Guy could really play that ukulele too!

After the event, I looked over his ukulele and noticed two strips of velcro affixed to the back of his '50's era Martin ukulele. I'm like, "What?" He told me he always plays his ukulele with a v-neck sweater. Who needs a strap!?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tooday View Post
    The rubber mesh kitchen drawer liner will work to an extent. I too am taking Mike's course at ArtistWorks. I have not been able to find a comfortable position resting an "A" style mandolin on my left leg - every position seems to hurt my back. I finally gave up trying it his way and now just use a strap. This works better for me and allows me to practice sitting or standing.
    I also have this folding footrest thingy, which because of the shape,angle, and black rubber on top, my husband calls "your gas pedal" *
    It's adjustable, and I find it helpful.

*It really should be called my clutch pedal, though, because I put my left foot on it

11. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Nevin 

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I also have this folding footrest thingy, which because of the shape,angle, and black rubber on top, my husband calls "your gas pedal" *
    It's adjustable, and I find it helpful.

*It really should be called my clutch pedal, though, because I put my left foot on it
    My footrest worked okay until I stood up, once.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Hi Sue - I tried a bunch of stuff, mostly from Joann's, and chamois. None of it was any less slippery than my blue jeans. Then I ordered the mat that Mike's wife Caterina uses, from Terkel, in Germany. Yeah, I know, it sounds ridiculous to do that LOL. I ordered the larger one and cut in half so that a roughly 6x12 piece hangs over each thigh. I don't know what the stuff is but it works superbly with my Collings A and bowlback. It's great! I do use a guitar footrest for my left foot as well. And here is the good news: I bought an extra one which I will mail you for free. Just send me a personal message with your mailing address, ok? When you get it I recommend you cut it in half and put one piece on each leg. You won't even notice it's there. (Oh, and I never use a strap - always sitting and always chipping away at classical)
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Mar-08-2021 at 5:21pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

I use a footrest and drawer liner from walmart to play my L&H A, which has no means of attaching a strap, but with my modern style A model I use a strap. If you play with a strap, there is no reason to support the mandolin in your lap.

16. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    I use a footrest and drawer liner from walmart to play my L&H A, which has no means of attaching a strap, but with my modern style A model I use a strap. If you play with a strap, there is no reason to support the mandolin in your lap.
    Well, yeah, I always just used my strap before, but MM has seen my strap in two different videos and mentioned the mat both times. Since he's MM and I'm a newbie, I'm going to try it his way for awhile

18. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

FWIW, The year I played with the Aurora Mandolin Orchestra I noticed that all the classic style mandolin (round back) players used the rug underlay. It's cheap and has no effect on a mandolin's finish.

If you are using a strap that should do it. I played an A style exclusively for years and years with only a strap. I gotta have a strap though...

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

20. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I never had any need for my Gibsons but when I started playing more classical on bowlbacks I did use rubberized shelf liner or chamois and a foot rest. I never even used a strap on my carved mandolins unless I was standing. I joked with my other classical playing friends that we should just get a formal-styled wet suit pants and then not having to worry about the mandolin slipping.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Well, if you’ve got a Tone-Gard (tm), magnets oughtta work.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Well, if you’ve got a Tone-Gard (tm), magnets oughtta work.
    Sounds a bit uncomfortable

All of my A's have straps attached at the heel (I only play standing) so lack of points hasn't been an issue for me. As far as padding goes, I would think a scrap of yoga mat would give you the grip you need.

We now know that Richard has rare earth magnets superglued to his belly. How does he make it through airport security?

26. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Reywas 

The joke’s on them. Magnetic eddy-current metal detectors can’t see magnets - especially those. But I do have to take off my tin hat!
    America is so prone to quack stuff these days that I’m afraid to even Google the topic: somebody out there must be selling magnets to glue to places other than wrists to cure everything.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Well, yeah, I always just used my strap before, but MM has seen my strap in two different videos and mentioned the mat both times. Since he's MM and I'm a newbie, I'm going to try it his way for awhile
    Good plan. If you're paying a teacher, you might as well do what he says.

Ergonomic advice from MM is kind of funny though. He has giant hands, for one thing. For me to hold a mandolin per MM, I would either have to grow a lot or the mandolin would have to shrink to about half size.

30. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

I've used shelf liner. And I've used chamois. For my bowlbacks, my As, and my F, nothing works as well as the cloth mentioned by Tim Logan above. I bought mine from Bob Margo at CMSA a couple years ago. I'll never use anything else. Tim, you're a generous guy for sending one out to Sue!

Joe

32. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

+1 for shelf liner

Right now, I'm using one of those rubber things used to open jars. But it has a tendency to fall on the floor.
    Those "things" are available in larger sizes, about the size of a placemat (at Dollarama, in my neck of the woods). I cut one down to about half-size to use with my banjolin. It works better than the jar-opener type, which is to say, it doesn't fall off my lap until I stand up. They seem to last quite a while as well.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

35. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    I've used shelf liner. And I've used chamois. For my bowlbacks, my As, and my F, nothing works as well as the cloth mentioned by Tim Logan above. I bought mine from Bob Margo at CMSA a couple years ago. I'll never use anything else. Tim, you're a generous guy for sending one out to Sue!

Joe
    He sure is! I have to say there's a fair lot of kindness and generosity around here; generally excellent folks. It's one of the reasons this is such an awesome place to hang out

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

I'm a couch player. I have an A style. I don't use a strap or have any problem keeping my instrument in place or with it sliding. I don't trash on it hard. I reckon different playing styles bring different results

39. The following members say thank you to CBFrench for this post:

So, I've been working on Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks course lately. Mike is playing an F style mando, but my Stradolin's an A. Since I have no points to do the job, Mike wants me to get some carpet underlayment to put in my lap in order to keep the mando in place.

What is that stuff made of? Is it bad for a mandolin's finish? I don't think it's rubber. I looked at some in a store today, and it said nothing about what it's made out of. One on Amazon says "Polyester Coated Scrim" whatever that is.

Anybody have any thoughts?
    Mike is adamant about setting your mando on your knee and not using your fretting hand to secure the instrument. After a few lectures via video I got a stool and a footrest. I don't notice any difference but I am willing to give it some time. I assume he means something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Rug-...dp/B088TRVJLH/

There is also shelving pads that using that non-slip waffle design

I’d be leery of the rubber liner stuff, it might cause issues with finishes. Well, some finishes. I will never forget a customer bringing in his guitar in with big areas of finish on the bottom, part of the back and neck bubbling and ruined. He had left the poor thing on his Naugahyde couch on a warm evening. Lacquer reacts to some of the least expected material.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post: