Thread: Best if the few I played at Carters

Default Best if the few I played at Carters

Of the six I played one was no surprise. The Dude lived up to the he high expectations. I was really surprised by a Hinde. Great workmanship, tone and playability. The best I played (just my opinion and an incomplete sample) was a lacquered Collins (the previous owner was Jesse from the String busters). That was just a wonderful sounding instrument. Hopefully next time I will have time for a more complete sample.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Best if the few I played at Carters

Carter’s is a fun place to try out mandolins for sure! When I was there last October, the best to my ears was an Apitius f5. Had it all! I walked in there expecting to leave with an Ellis A5, especially since they had 3 in stock. But they just didn’t do it for me. Proves that you can read and form opinions all you want, but playing them in person is the real test.
    Also, I’ve noticed you somehow keep misspelling **Collings** sheesh!! Lol

Another note- did you mean Jesse Cobb of the Infamous **stringdusters**!?

Surf, thanks for the correction. I have been misspelling it like that for years. Really sad when you think I have had three Collin(g)s. BTW, had I listed the five brands that I would like best among Carter's F5s, Collin(g)s would not have been on that list.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Hey no worries Tony! Sorry if I was acting like the grammar police lol and yea, Collings wouldn’t be in my top 5 either , but sometimes a mandolin is just special, no matter what’s on the headstock. I had the privilege of owning a Collings mf5V for a few weeks, and sadly just didn’t bond with it at all. And I really wanted to because it was my dream mandolin and a killer trade deal. Thankfully the guy I traded with was cool enough to trade back with me. Then almost a year later ended up trading with him again, this time for a 2015 Gibson fern f5, which I still have. It’s a keeper for sure and my favorite mandolin I’ve ever owned. Although, I did play a regular Collings mf one time at telluride music that knocked my socks off! Again, just shows how much mandolins vary and ya gotta play em first!
    I hope to visit Carter’s within the next month on my way down to Asheville, NC for a job hunt. Looking forward to A-Bing my Fern with a bunch of mandos there.
    Cheers Tony! Happy pickin
    Ty Stevens
    Hendersonville, NC

2012 Northfield Big Mon #179
    1924 Gibson A jr.
    1993 Flatiron 1N

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosurf View Post
    Carter’s is a fun place to try out mandolins for sure! When I was there last October, the best to my ears was an Apitius f5. Had it all! I walked in there expecting to leave with an Ellis A5, especially since they had 3 in stock. But they just didn’t do it for me. Proves that you can read and form opinions all you want, but playing them in person is the real test.
    Also, I’ve noticed you somehow keep misspelling **Collings** sheesh!! Lol

Another note- did you mean Jesse Cobb of the Infamous **stringdusters**!?
    I did a string change on an Ellis I bought and was not so jazzed on. Curt Mangan medium bluegrass. It made a huge difference.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Walter and Christie's palace of fine instruments is ALWAYS a good visit. I generally walk away wishing I could take something home..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...