Thread: Glorious fun

Blog Entries

Default Glorious fun

Between COVID and a career change, I have had little time or opportunity to play recently. But today I had a rare free couple of hours. I spent them standing too close to a 30w amplifier and playing my Fender FM-988, my Arrow G5 5 string, and my JBovier FMC-5.

I didn't even bother with my pedal board, though I did get out the POD 2.0 and use it as an effects unit.

Glorious fun. I got some good tones, some weird ones, and one or two that actually hurt. (Stay away from the high gain stuff if you're just flipping channels!)

Now I just need a gig to practice up for.

Daniel

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: Glorious fun

Sounds great Daniel - jealous of that Arrow...! I've really liked every one I've seen of those; esp the tenor guitars
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Sounds great Daniel - jealous of that Arrow...! I've really liked every one I've seen of those; esp the tenor guitars
    Thanks Rob,

It's a cool instrument for sure. It's hollow, so it's really a throwback to the early Gibson type of electrified acoustics: sharp attack, quick-ish decay (the decay is getting longer as the instrument gets more mature), prone to feedback at moderately high volumes.

I love the 15" (381mm) scale length. The other two are a bit shorter (Fender is less than 14"/355mm and the JBovier is about 14.25"/362mm). I find myself wishing the JBovier had the same scale length as the Arrow, but not the Fender. Something about the single string course versus the double string course, I suppose.

The first Arrow I played was an octave mandolin back in 2006 I think. Wish I could afford another Arrow!

Daniel

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pleased you enjoyed that! It's always nice to get back to music after an enforced absence.

I hope you're all well. Good luck in the new job! And I'll buy your latest album as soon as I log on tomorrow morning.

6. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    It's always nice to get back to music after an enforced absence.
    during lockdown/s I found myself hitting a dead end for writing with my tenor guitars - so what did I do? that's right, i got back into recording electronic style music and even bought a nice hybrid analogue synth...

OF COURSE

ha ha

Hey Daniel I know what you mean about old gibsons - my etg150 tenor is just like that
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    I'm pleased you enjoyed that! It's always nice to get back to music after an enforced absence.

I hope you're all well. Good luck in the new job! And I'll buy your latest album as soon as I log on tomorrow morning.
    Hi Dennis!

I got the email from Paypal yesterday. Thank You! Will put a CD in the post tomorrow.

I hope you and the family are all well.

Daniel