Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

Randal, I missed that 'drumstick' comment earlier. Sorry.

Baroque bows were not of standard sizes and weights compared to modern bows. So the balance was different on different bows.
    Last edited by DougC; Mar-28-2021 at 11:34am. Reason: only a few minutes and ....another post
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

No worries, perhaps my reference was a bit too ambiguous. By "using the first finger like that" - I was referring to the mechanics as you'd described.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    IIRC the earliest hdgfls date back to ~1750 (all numbers inexact - I was the one who said the bow weighed 58 oz!). SW Norway, the fiddles were narrower, shorter, deeper - some quite rustic, others quite elaborate. Used to accompany dance, processions, etc...also endured heavy stigmatization. Remote localities, like Appalachia, yielded well preserved traditions, customs, regional styles.. I imagine, like with most things, baroque influences caused changes in the instrument, technique, repertoire over time.

My guess is these were derivative of much earlier archaic instruments and customs. Probably lots of mythology associated with it. Lots of Nature associations.
    Here's a pretty extensive article from HFAA which says that the earliest instrument found dates to 1651. I assume prior to that there is some evidence of ancestors of hardingfele in art or in writings about music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

See? I was only off by 100 years .. I'm terrible with dates

Blog Entries

Here is a very good tutorial on bow control that describes balance, * lifting fingers, tilting the bow, string contact points, bow speed, changing direction etc. *See 12:32 in the video for example.

Eddie BTW has a lot of videos that use humor to great effect. He and his buddy are kind of cult figures in the violin world.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    See? I was only off by 100 years .. I'm terrible with dates
    really close enough in the greater scheme of things
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1