Thread: Asheville, NC Area Music Shops

Default Asheville, NC Area Music Shops

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading sometime soon (currently playing an Eastman MD-305) but would like to buy local or playtest some options before making any online decisions.

Anyone in the Asheville, NC area have any recommendations for shops that would carry some higher caliber mandos? I am willing to drive up to 2 hours (So upstate SC and Knoxville, TN would be fair game), but the closer the better!

Default Re: Asheville, NC Area Music Shops?

Fiddle and Fret in Fairview. Need to call before visiting. I don't know if website inventory is up to date.
    Russ Jordan

I've been to Acoustic Corner down the road in Black Mountain a couple times. Nice folks, good selection.

4. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

I am in Brevard, N.C. I have a 2007 Randy Wood two point mandolin for sale. If interested, let me know. Happy to send photos and audio file.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I must admit, I'm a bit stumped. Asheville has quite a reputation as being a music center, for professionals and buskers. Are there really no serious music stores there? It's one of the few places I've been considering as a place to relocate to. Now I'm not so sure ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

James Condino will build you one. He's in Asheville. JB, how many mandolins do you buy a year normally? Would no shop in the immediate area really change how you feel? How many are local to you now that have large mandolin inventories?

This guy was spotted sitting outside the Black Mountain Train Station a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackMountain.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	192718  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'm obviously on the wrong coast for this, but the only serious music store I know of in Asheville is Dream Guitars, but Paul usually doesn't have more than a mandolin or two in stock, and very few guitars are priced south of $5K, and most of those are just the deposits on custom builds. I went to Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain a few years ago, and I agree that the staff was nice and the downtown was very fun, but I don't remember them having many mandolins of note. They had a really nice used Joe Mendel octave mandolin, but I resisted the temptation.

So, how much are you planning to upgrade from your current Eastman? If you're thinking about a higher-level Eastman or Kentucky, some large music store in Charlotte might have some choices for you. If you're thinking about something above those, then you're probably looking at an overnighter in Nashville.

If nobody here comes up with better specific places for you, you might email Robin Bullock to ask, since he lives (or used to live) in your area.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Blog Entries

Well ... I'm no benchmark, living in a non-benchmark community. For a town with a pretty bustling entertainment industry, we're in pitiful shape. Most musicians here cater to day tourists, banging out the same ~100 Jimmy Buffett hits and "classic rock" songs on guitars with loopers or backing tracks. There are two music stores in town, and the one downtown - the better one and only one I frequent - has sold its only mandolin, an Eastman that had hung in its rack for 2-3 years. It's all about mid-range guitars and cheap ukuleles here, it seems. There are a total of three mandolinists here, as far as I know, and only one of them is working. And it's not me. On the plus side, not much going on with banjos here, either.

I recently bought my first mandolin in 6-7 years, and since it's a 1916 A-4, it's nothing that would ever EVER be seen in a music store here. I'm nobody's idea of a typical music store customer. And I may have overstated my reaction in my post, but I was indeed surprised.

My point was that Asheville has a reputation for having a thriving acoustic music scene, so I would have thought that would support and be supported by some pretty active music stores. I don't mean something akin to Carter's Vintage, whose website I wandered into last week, which gave me heart palpitations with its enormous inventory of quality instruments, the like I hadn't seen in decades. But something more.
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-11-2021 at 12:15am. Reason: clarification

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I have bought and sold instruments through Acoustic Corner in the past. Good folks. They often have a surprising selection but they do move stuff out pretty regularly.

Default Re: Asheville, NC Area Music Shops

Thank you all for the input! I agree that the downtown music stores are lacking. Musicians Workshop basically only stocks base model The Loars and Savannahs.. which is surprising for how important the music industry, particularly bluegrass and old time, is here. I actually took lessons at Musicians Workshop from Drew Matulich before covid and he's the one who recommended I seek out the Eastman MD305 as my first real mando (I started with a Rogue just to gauge my interest)

I'll have to check out Acoustic Corner and Fiddlers Fret this weekend!

As for budget, I should have specified initially. I am honestly just looking to pick up maybe a high end Eastman or Kentucky f-style, or something in the $1500-$2000 range. But again, I am just trying to gather some info for the future, as the MD305 meets my needs at the moment.

I grew up in Brevard not far from Asheville. I haven't done a lot of shopping up there in recent years, but from what I recall I generally agree with the sentiments here that the music store scene in the area is surprisingly lacking in high quality options.
    Years ago there was a store called Blue Ridge Music that had some pretty decent mandolins as I recall, but they've been closed for a few years I believe.

I bought my Flatbush mandolin from Danny at Fiddle & Fret around 2005 I believe. Had to call ahead to make an appointment since he just runs it out of a building near his house. My only warning in visiting there is you need a lot of willpower to stick to your budget.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    I've been to Acoustic Corner down the road in Black Mountain a couple times. Nice folks, good selection.
    Definitely seemed like a nice guy running the store when I went in there, but I can't say I was bowled over by the selection. I popped in the check out a used Gibson F9 (which didn't thrill me really), but IIRC everything else was Eastmans or something comparable.

I got a sense that they see more affordable instruments and lessons as their wheelhouse. Not a thing in the world wrong with that, but I don't think I'd look for an Ellis there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I grew up in Brevard not far from Asheville. I haven't done a lot of shopping up there in recent years, but from what I recall I generally agree with the sentiments here that the music store scene in the area is surprisingly lacking in high quality options.
    That still seems to be the case. My girlfriend lives there and there's a reasonable chance I move up that way in a few years when I'm at or closer to retirement. There are plenty of places to buy picks and strings, but if I were looking for something high end I'd think seriously about planning a trip to Nashville. I didn't know about Fiddle & Fret, but I'm glad to learn about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    Definitely seemed like a nice guy running the store when I went in there, but I can't say I was bowled over by the selection. I popped in the check out a used Gibson F9 (which didn't thrill me really), but IIRC everything else was Eastmans or something comparable.

I got a sense that they see more affordable instruments and lessons as their wheelhouse. Not a thing in the world wrong with that, but I don't think I'd look for an Ellis there.
    having spent a lot of time in Asheville within last couple years, i agree totally. a lot of the folks who are coming and going and are the gigging musicians are empty pockets. the few musicians with $ will be getting appointments at Dream and "fiddle and fret". acoustic corner tend to have lower cost items, especially in the mandolin and fiddle instruments.

if you are willing to drive "over the mountain" to Sevierville Tn, you will find Music Outlet.

https://www.musicoutlet.net/mandolins
    Huge place with many NOS items, decent prices. In the past they did not do trades, only sales. And unless things have changed, they tend to not "deal". The price posted is the price-of course, the older guys may have retired and the sons may be in charge, or new owners may be there(which i doubt). In the past they would have a half dozen nice Weber and half a dozen nice Gibsons. They also carry lower cost imports. I have no idea of the stock at this moment. I would suggest having the day off, arrive early, and enjoy the adventure. Its truly an adventure to just walk thru the place. You will need time to play all the stuff you find. If you are a guitar player, oh my, you are in trouble.

purchased my stepdaughters Weber there in 2010. It was a superb custom Gallatin. A professional musician owns it now, wish i still had it. It was the first mandolin to arrive in our home........ahem, but not the last.

they have ample parking and are just outside of all the noise and movement of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge.

if you go, definitely take some pics of the nice ones, and post us a report. Its a fun place.

they used to have financing, i'm sure they still do. A Gibson might be in your immediate future.

good luck
    d

The closest one I can think of is Harry and Jeannie West's store in Statesville (about 1.5 hrs from Asheville).
    Current inventory on mandos: https://harryandjeaniewest.com/mandolins/

If you are willing to drive up to 3 hours, Lowe Vintage is in Burlington
    Current inventory on mandos: https://lowevintage.com/make/mandolins/

NFI on either, but I have bought instruments from both over the years. I think Lowes is by appointment only. Great folks at both places as I recall.

I grew up in the mountains of NC, and it is hard to find a quality acoustic shop really close.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Biddix View Post
    The closest one I can think of is Harry and Jeannie West's store in Statesville (about 1.5 hrs from Asheville).
    Current inventory on mandos: https://harryandjeaniewest.com/mandolins/
    I helped a friend buy a The Loar LM110 from the West shop just before Christmas last year. Harry's son Scott runs the place now. He's a great guy and gave her a good deal on it. I was actually really impressed with that mandolin for the price.
    I don't think that inventory is 100% up to date but you never know what kind of stuff is hiding in the back room over there. They have a reasonable selection of The Loars, Eastman, Kentucky type stuff on display but not a lot on the high end.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

If you are willing to drive up to 3 hours, Lowe Vintage is in Burlington
    Current inventory on mandos: https://lowevintage.com/make/mandolins/
    [/QUOTE]

I live a mile from Lowe Vintage and Will and Ed there are great. Small inventory at the moment but the do carry new Collings and Northfield mandos as well as getting in some good used/consigned items. And there is a good eatery/brewery directly across the street.

Good luck,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

With literally 1000s of musicians willing to undercut everyone else such that they accept $35 gigs at any one of our 100+ venues, and a housing market that is incredibly overpriced compared the the few actual living wage jobs, Asheville musicians sadly can't keep any local music shops of significance in business. There are a lot of small builders in town, but all of our instruments tend to go to folks who live elsewhere. The folks over at Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain are very helpful.

Take a drive over to Nashville for the day. Your instrument nerdiness will be rewarded with the finest shops in the country for a few extra dollars worth of gas. For a similar distance in the other direction, drive over and visit Mando Mutt in Graham, NC.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

21. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Blog Entries

Wow! That sounds all too familiar. The numbers may be different, but the dynamic sounds much the same as what goes on here. Too many musicians competing for too few gigs - even though there are a lot of clubs here, and many of them will have live music three shifts a day, every day - not just at night, only on weekends. The entire lifetime of my last band, which varied from four to six or seven members, I knew how fortunate we were to have and keep three steady gigs a week - even through the dog days of summer. And the housing prices are also way out of line, bearing little resemblance if any to what might pass as reasonable.

Maybe I'll just stick it out here. At least the ocean is right - there. I miss the change of seasons, and I miss having options for a lot of things people take for granted. It's more than a hundred miles just to the mainland. We're closer to Cuba than Walmart, if that's any consideration. But it's telling. And I miss jams. People here just don't. They use their instruments for work, and leave them in the case until their next gig. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post

It all depends when you go in there. Joe has trouble keeping good stuff in stock and he doesn't handle any real high end stuff as far as brands. But I have played some nice Gibsons and got a really nice Girouard there.

Quote Originally Posted by ffej View Post
    I am honestly just looking to pick up maybe a high end Eastman or Kentucky f-style, or something in the $1500-$2000 range. But again, I am just trying to gather some info for the future, as the MD305 meets my needs at the moment.
    In that case, I don't think you need to make the pilgrimage to Nashville. I'd imagine that Eastman and/or Kentucky have dealers closer to you than that. I'd check first to make sure that those dealers don't just have the mid-range models in stock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    We're closer to Cuba than Walmart
    Now THAT is funny! Wait 'til the Waltons hear that that is possible in 21st-Century America.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I must say this thread slightly surprises me. I had a distinct impression impression that Asheville is quite a musical place.
    Am I right in thinking that Irish guitarist John Doyle lives there, that mandolinist Ashley Broder was there for a while, and the band Rising Appalachia are mostly based around there? Probably lots of others too, but those spring to mind. It doesn't necessarily it has good music shops though.

I passed by there in 1983 and remember going to a gig in a sort of tavern place in Black Mountain where there was a gig on featuring singer/Uillean piper Patrick Sky and singer Rosalie Sorrels. I had the impression that there was a bit of music going on in that area. I didn't make it to Asheville itself though.
    David A. Gordon