Thread: Eastman H4 style Mandola

Smile Eastman H4 style Mandola

Does anyone have experience of the Eastman H4 stye mandolas.

I've had a few Eastman mandolins through my hands and always found the F-hole mandolins to be pretty good without being fabulous but years ago I played 3 of their F4 style mandolins and although they all looked great they were very much lacking in sound.

Just wondered if anyone could comment on their current oval hole mandolas. Are they any better? Have things improved? I see they do a relatively inexpensive 315 style mandola and a much mor expensive one.

I also saw a lovely custom one on the internet with the Gibson style rosette. In USA.

Any help appreciated. I am in the UK.

Default Re: Eastman H4 style Mandola

I too would like to hear more. I've been casually looking for a mandola for a couple of years. I am not a fan of F style mandolins, but the Eastman's seem to be about the only budget priced archtop mandolas on the market worth looking at.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Default Re: Eastman H4 style Mandola

Recently purchased a 315 from a user who decided to switch to an Octave. As with my step into mandolins 25 years ago, I needed to step into a new instrument without spending thousands. I'm very happy with this mandola. Responsive, ringing, basically a joy to play. Sure, maybe some day I'll buy one of those mandolas at Carter's but for now absolutely meets all my needs.