Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XT we barely new ya!

Default Re: XT we barely new ya!

Apologies if everyone is already aware of them, but thanks to the Cafe forum, I recently discovered Mapes stings. Custom guages, wrapping metals, and are apparently coated. They have a PB version. They're supposed to be quite good, and are inexpensive! $6 a set, direct from the factory in TN. I purchased the nickel wound as I'm a fan of the D'adarrio Nickel Bronze flavor. I have yet to try the Mapes in order to report. I'm being cheap and finishing up a set of Curt Mangan strings, just to use up the last of my phosphor bronze supply. The Mapes may be a nice substitute for the XTs in any event, which did do well on my KM-756.
    Last edited by Mainer73; Jun-25-2021 at 12:01pm.

Really want to try these XS's but Daddario seems to have set the retail price with everyone and it is pretty steep. Has anyone seen any deals out there? Maybe I'll try these Mapes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Really want to try these XS's but Daddario seems to have set the retail price with everyone and it is pretty steep. Has anyone seen any deals out there? Maybe I'll try these Mapes on.
    Hey Josh... I have been dealing with Sweetwater for awhile and they made me a GREAT deal when buying a box of 10 sets - $15.00 a set with free shipping! How can you beat that?!? I love dealing with Sweetwater... they make everything RIGHT no matter what you're looking for. Give 'em a holler!

I am still loving these XS strings by the way. One of my students is cursed with "acid hands" and the XS strings have held up beautifully for a month now with him wiping down the set after each session. No other coated strings out there can do that!

4. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    I put a set of XS strings on my mando April 26th. They're still on. Still sound great, still hold tune. Multiple outdoor gigs. They seem like a pretty decent value to me.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

It seems they are only available in medium and light. No 11.5 or other gauges that XT had. I wonder if they'll expand, or keep XTs around for those?

I still have a pair of 74s to use up, and a custom-medium 11.5 set of XTs, which I might not use, if they're not replaceable.... Anyway, I've always liked coated strings for their longevity, but just getting started on mando, so will probably see how this all shakes out. I'm seeing months on my horizon they strings last around me.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

There’s a lot of misinformation in this thread.

What really happened: D’Addario introduced a new product, XS coated strings available in 11-40.

What people think happened, but very clearly did not: D’Addario discontinued the XT and EJ strings.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Beware the misinformation!

At 6 bucks a pack and uncoated I don't think EJs are going anywhere. And that wasn't part of the original thread.

EXPs appear to be gone although some retailers still have them in stock.

I do think it's legitimate to speculate on XTs. Maybe they have long term plans for a coated phos bronze string set at $15 AND a coated phos bronze string set at $18 but it would seem these products overlap a bit.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I suppose they could be testing the waters, and given the backlash of yanking the EXPs, I could see why they’re treading a little more lightly. On the other hand, considering that we’ve only seen the one mandolin XS set, I doubt anything is getting discontinued anytime soon.

Incidentally, I installed my first mandolin XT set today, and have no complaints. They’re punchy and don’t feel coated. I’ve used them on electric and acoustic guitar, same result. If they make a Custom Medium or Medium Heavy XS, I’ll give those a shot, too.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I just put a set of XS 11-40 strings (that D'Addario provided for Monroe Campers) on my Brentrup F5. Very lively. Enjoying them so far. Settled in quickly and great tone right away. Does anyone else think they feel like they have a bit more tension than other strings of the same gauge? I'm a Curt Mangan fan but the XS seem to bring out more of the goodness in the Brentrup.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

11. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MediumMando5722 View Post
    I suppose they could be testing the waters, and given the backlash of yanking the EXPs, I could see why they’re treading a little more lightly. On the other hand, considering that we’ve only seen the one mandolin XS set, I doubt anything is getting discontinued anytime soon.

Incidentally, I installed my first mandolin XT set today, and have no complaints. They’re punchy and don’t feel coated. I’ve used them on electric and acoustic guitar, same result. If they make a Custom Medium or Medium Heavy XS, I’ll give those a shot, too.
    I just read that D’Addario uses different coatings on wound strings only. In other words, on the XS set, the plain steel strings use the same coating as the XT set. So it would be easy but expensive to build your own XS CM set.

Along with other signs (see Gibson website thread), D'Addario's slowness to add anything to the mandolin XS "family" says more about the tiny market we occupy. They even announced an 80/20 set for acoustic guitar, but can't manage a heavier or lighter gauge XS set for mandolin? Or maybe they just have enough stock of the XTs to exhaust first. I have no idea how they schedule manufacturing runs for strings, but they might make a whole lot of the longer-lived kinds in a single run because they won't age in the packaging as fast as uncoated strings. It would likely reduce their unit cost to make a year (or two's!) worth at a time.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I just put a set of XS 11-40 strings (that D'Addario provided for Monroe Campers) on my Brentrup F5. Very lively. Enjoying them so far. Settled in quickly and great tone right away. Does anyone else think they feel like they have a bit more tension than other strings of the same gauge? I'm a Curt Mangan fan but the XS seem to bring out more of the goodness in the Brentrup.
    I noticed this on the 6-string acoustic set of XS I bought. Didn't like them compared to my usual Elixir set. The XS mandos went on my F4 pretty soon after I got it, so I didn't really have a prior favourite to compare to mandolin-wise.

IMHO - until D'addario makes the XS strings in a heavier gauge, I will continue using XT's 11.5 - 41 on my '99 Flatiron Festival F.