Thread: A drum sander with a twist

Default A drum sander with a twist

For things like thin stock for pick guards or head stock laminations, a pattern router bit runs the risk of shattering the work piece. So I'm trying to put a bearing on a drill press drum sander. It took a lot of mucking around, but I finally got something workable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Montgomery For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A drum sander with a twist

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

That's a very cool idea!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Even SM sells it. That one’s been around for 30 years. Couple of points: Rubber drum sleeve sanders are generically imprecise, both because different grits are different diameter, they’re eccentric, and drill presses using chucks have sloppy runout, so people who want to get something exactly ‘on the money’ rather than slightly oversized have to do some mods of their own, which should be obvious, (or maybe not). Also, a drum sander with a guide bearing is available for shapers, using inserted papers. Although expensive, likely to be more accurate. There are also diamond drums with guides, used I think by the stone countertop people, that are dimensionally stable. Although diamond sanders are not intended for soft things, they do work.
    In the metal-working world, tearout isn’t a particular issue, but the somewhat un-recommended practice of running a cutter in reverse for the final pass could have some use in woodwork - provided you have a reversible machine!

For now it's a tool I need only occasionally so I wasn't keen on spending the SM price + shipping when I figured I could make it. The small one on the video was a no brainer. I had the drum, I had the bearing, and they matched perfectly. Things didn't turn out as easily on the large drum as I had hoped. But once I had invested the time in it I wasn't going to let it win! Also, and this may be a personal mental illness - I think I like making jigs and tools better than the project that I'm making them for

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Montgomery View Post
    For now it's a tool I need only occasionally so I wasn't keen on spending the SM price + shipping when I figured I could make it. The small one on the video was a no brainer. I had the drum, I had the bearing, and they matched perfectly. Things didn't turn out as easily on the large drum as I had hoped. But once I had invested the time in it I wasn't going to let it win! Also, and this may be a personal mental illness - I think I like making jigs and tools better than the project that I'm making them for
    "We do it because we can!" Has always been a good enough excuse for me. Nice job!