Thread: An Alternative Way to Keep an A Mandolin in Place

Default An Alternative Way to Keep an A Mandolin in Place

I've been following Sue's thread on holding an A style mandolin. I too am a strapless right thigh holder. I know Mikes method is more correct but my back can't do it. But what I did learn as far as keeping the neck weight off your left hand made a ton of sense. So this morning a little light went off and I tried this method and it seemed to work, for now.
    So I took a "flat" guitar strap. Hook it to your end pin, non screwed in pins must use caution as this pulls the pin a little out as well as down. Sitting in your normal position with your mando on your thigh, I use a folded pad for some extra height, then feed the strap under your right thigh and between your legs. Now lifting your thigh just pull the strap untill you get the mando to the angle you want, put your thigh down and you can let it rest there no hands. Been doing this for the last couple hours and it definately takes the weight off your left hand. Will it last, I don't know jurys still out.

Default Re: An Alternative Way to Keep an A Mandolin in Place

You also might try a foot rest to raise your right knee. Here's a basic, adjustable model on Amazon:

https://amzn.to/3bGWx5s

couch player option...you could pick up your mandolin, sit down, get comfortable, put one foot on table or cross your legs manly or girly (make adjustment if needed) and then start playing

Like this... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2014_00001.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	192765

The Finish concern noted : Sheepskin "Chamois" with the grippy drawer liner stitched to the back?

I just used the old Tone Gard and it lets me manage my sitting tune swapping around the table well enough..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I've been following Sue's thread on holding an A style mandolin. I too am a strapless right thigh holder. I know Mikes method is more correct but my back can't do it. But what I did learn as far as keeping the neck weight off your left hand made a ton of sense. So this morning a little light went off and I tried this method and it seemed to work, for now.
    So I took a "flat" guitar strap. Hook it to your end pin, non screwed in pins must use caution as this pulls the pin a little out as well as down. Sitting in your normal position with your mando on your thigh, I use a folded pad for some extra height, then feed the strap under your right thigh and between your legs. Now lifting your thigh just pull the strap untill you get the mando to the angle you want, put your thigh down and you can let it rest there no hands. Been doing this for the last couple hours and it definately takes the weight off your left hand. Will it last, I don't know jurys still out.
    I was given the same advice by Mike when I first started out on ArtistWorks. It killed my back by hunching over like he does - even with a foot rest and trying different chairs - so I just discarded that piece of advice due to my limitations. I'm going to give this a go and see if it works for me. Thanks for sharing.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

7. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post: