Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin by Cousenon a mirecourt

Default Re: Mandolin by Cousenon a mirecourt

I'm reminded of an old story I've told here before. I was at an outdoor flea market and a somewhat annoying lady was picking up costume jewelry and asking the vendor, "is this pewter?" After saying no to her about 10 times, he replied, "do you want it to be pewter?"

It sounds like the OP wants it to be pre-WWII for some reason....

Keep in mind, we are evaluating this instrument based only on the photos shown. I think most of us who have handled a lot of vintage instruments on a daily basis could date the instrument with good accuracy if we were able to hold the instrument in our hands, FWIW.

He also wants it to be a Cousenon, not a Couesnon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

From the Couesnon histoire that Jim posted:

"This company still existed in 1956 in Mirecourt, but soon closed its violin-making workshops, to limit itself to its first activity as a wind instrument maker, in Chateau Thierry."

Don't know what "soon" means in French years, but hints that pre-1960 might be a safe bet for these.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

When I bought my nylon strung acoustic a few years back, I did as much research as I could and found nothing definitive about the firm other than it appeared to have ended production some time in the early 1960s. Of course, it may be that stringed instrument production ended earlier than this but nothing definitive has surfaced although there must be someone that knows the facts.

It's not a matter of my wanting it to be pre ww2 (its not even my instrument), I'm just going by the info I have. While the tuners place it anywhere between 1930 and 1960. The patination suggests it's on the earlier end; with the condition of the finish I would have expected cleaner brass. I handle a lot of 1960s/1970s instruments and this feels very different in terms of build quality and materials although I was puzzled by the excellent condition of the finish as opposed to the apparent age of the label and tuners. What jim garber posted above is very consistent stylistically with this cousenon which suggests a very similar age (although the cousenon seems to contain better timbers), and the auctioneers put it in the 1930s. The cousenon company history i've found suggests its either from 1930-1940 or 1945-1960. I assume there would have been a five year break in the middle as everyone was a bit busy being invaded blown up and shot to be worrying about making mandolins. Anything after 1960 seems unlikely as the company was winding up. All of which I may well be completely wrong about but in terms of pure probability it still looks like pre ww2. unfortunately the mirecourt museum is predictably unresponsive.

It is still spelled Couesnon.

Seriously, I certainly understand trying to ascertain age and other identifying features on these vintage instruments. And it is good to look carefully and not accept every opinion. I think you have some reasonable assessments for sure and many of us here have only the photos to go by.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here's another member of the family we're talking about, a Couesnon for sale here in my town. No financial interest, of course:

https://www.usedvictoria.com/strings-guitar/39607328

I spent a nice half-hour with it and its owner last week. Well made and a strong sound, closer to a good bowlback than I would have expected. (But the tuners need a little work and the neck is too narrow for me.)

8. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

At least they spelled it correctly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

A little bit of interesting history of rive Couesnon and it's connection (potentially so) to Mont St. Michel.

Price looks right on the mandolin, Bruce.

If I had it in my hand for a half hour I likely would have bought it, myself.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Yeah, Mick, it would have been easy to buy, but not to play (neck width).

I was hoping to put some of the ad photos into the thread here for documentation purposes, but couldn't lift them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Yeah, Mick, it would have been easy to buy, but not to play (neck width).

I was hoping to put some of the ad photos into the thread here for documentation purposes, but couldn't lift them.
    Hopefully this does it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103723004_934.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	202574

Name:	103723006_934.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	202575

Name:	103723007_934.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	202576

Name:	103723008_934.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	202577

Name:	103723009_934.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	202578
    ---
    Bruce
    Fairview, TX

2021 Big Muddy MW-0 #3130 Engelmann Spruce / Walnut
    2022 Mia Mandolin F-Style "Rose & Dove" Spruce / Maple
    2018 Weber Gallatin A-14F Sitka Spruce / Maple
    Instagram

13. The following members say thank you to bwnunnally for this post:

I owned a similar Couesnon mandolin. They were built by their own workshop in Mirecourt and were sold by catalog. This is the typical post WWII French mass produced student mandolin. From sound and quality point of view, not as good as a Patenotte, di Mauro or Gerome.