Thread: Identification of roundback mandolin with star & moon inlay

Question Identification of roundback mandolin with star & moon inlay

Hi all. First post. I have a manodlin I inherited from my mom quite some time ago. I recently started trying to identify it, but haven't had much luck finding a match. The headstock inlay and the band of inlay around the body bear a striking resemblance to the mandolin in this post:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...lback-mandolin
    but my reply on that thread got no answer, so I'm hoping a new post will get a response. Here are some overall shots of the mandolin, I can also provide close-ups on request.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210225_200011.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	709.3 KB 
ID:	192767

Name:	20210225_195853.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	192768

Name:	20210225_195919.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	192766

Name:	20210225_195937.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	192769

Thanks much for any insight you can provide.
    -Steve

2. The following members say thank you to Steve97 for this post:

Default Re: Identification of roundback mandolin with star & moon inlay

How about a good clear straight-on shot of the headstock both front and back. Might help for a couple of shots from the side on its back on a table. I can't really tell what the neck angle is from that face down shot.

It looks like some of the posts on the tuning machines were replaced by too-long ones from someone parts box.

The rosettes on this and the one on the other thread were likely purchased from a supplier and available to oth4r makers so that would not be an identifier. However the pickguard shape is similar to the one in the other thread and if the headstock matches closely then we can guess that it was likely made or sold by Lyon & Healy. They cranked out tons of instruments especially mandolins at the beginning of the last century so it is always a good guess.

In any case, it probably would not make much difference in terms of value (if that is what you care about). In current condition it is not worth that much but if you want to glue up the back and have a bridge made , as long as the neck is set back properly, it could be a nice keepsake. Did your mom play?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It's not a bad instrument to restore as a project - lots of rosewood ribs, neck block looks OK - and the split in the back is almost easier to fix structurally than it will be to touch up the finish on the back...a set of new tuners maybe...

Then again, it could just be me, I like to see bowlback mandolins put back into playing condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97 View Post
    Hi all. First post. I have a manodlin I inherited from my mom quite some time ago. I recently started trying to identify it, but haven't had much luck finding a match. The headstock inlay and the band of inlay around the body bear a striking resemblance to the mandolin in this post:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...lback-mandolin
    but my reply on that thread got no answer, so I'm hoping a new post will get a response. Here are some overall shots of the mandolin, I can also provide close-ups on request.

Name:	20210225_200011.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	709.3 KB 
ID:	192767

Name:	20210225_195853.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	192768

Name:	20210225_195919.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	192766

Name:	20210225_195937.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	192769

Thanks much for any insight you can provide.
    -Steve
    ... What is the sticker in the box ?
    Could you have this picture to show us please ?
    Regards,

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a Bauer. Inlay configuration is right, and it has that carving at the heel of neck. Probably a very nice mandolin.

Similar to this one.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your responses, so sorry I'm so late replying, I monitored for answers for a while, but never saw any, can't explain - browser cache maybe? Eventually forgot about it, and didn't check back until now.

Anyways, here are photos of the headstock, another profile shot, and close-ups of the neck carving. There is no sticker in the box, if there ever was one, it has long since detached and wandered off. The replacement tuner posts I believe were done by one of my older brothers decades ago. Other than him playing around with it a little, I'm not aware of anyone in the family who played. My mom once said it used to hang on a wall in my dad's parents' house, so I'm at least a third generation owner. I'd love to take it in somewhere for restoration and start learning to play.

It does bear some resemblance to the Bauer, but it'd have to be a lower end model if it is - the linked Bauer looks much nicer than mine. Also, the neck carving (actually, looks like it was done with a wood burning iron) is much more similar to the Lyon & Healy than to the Bauer. I don't expect it to be worth much, I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow that featured a similar looking mandolin, and the comments by their expert lead me to believe there were a glut of cheap mandolins in the early 20th century with the result that most are not worth much these days.

Name:	20210602_141606.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	194505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_141616.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	194506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_140844.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	194507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_140907.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	194508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210602_140853.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	194509

Teacher, repair person

I've seen similar heel "carving" on a Stewart branded banjo that was made sometime after the Stewart family lost control of the name to George Bauer. That instrument was definitely not built in the old Philadelphia factory. Bauer may have used several different jobbers to supply parts and/or build instruments for him.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

A nice looking mandolin, I think.

It does appear to have utilized the "one rib made to look like two" that I have discovered from some L+H basket cases...where an inlaid it strip of white lining was set into a groove in a rib to make it appear as if it were two.

Check the rosewood color and grain pattern on the pairs of 'ribs'.

Others might have pulled off this J-A-T besides, L+H...and why not?

L+H used the gimmick often...but I don't think it inherently reflects poorly on the potential quality of the instrument.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Looks like you are right, Mick. The pairs of ribs are an exact match in grain to be one piece of wood. There are several places where there are cracks where the ribs are separating, and they are never between the matching ribs. Nice catch, I hadn't even noticed.

The inside of the body seems to have a piece of fabric glued to the inside surface, is that typical construction?

14. The following members say thank you to Steve97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97 View Post

The inside of the body seems to have a piece of fabric glued to the inside surface, is that typical construction?
    Yes, fabric or paper is common.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post: